Video - Axiom Ground Balance & Hot Rocks

If you mess around with the detector on too many hot rocks or whatever, it is easy to reset the machine and start over. While up and running, press and hold the power button for a few seconds until the machine double blips. The ground display will now show the default 49 49. I like to power off at this point, and power back up. You are now just like new out of the box with default settings, and can start over. Note ALL settings have returned to default, so reset whatever you need to. You should not need to do this very often, but I did find there were times I thought I simply had too much ground cancellation dialed in, and it felt best to just clear everything and start fresh. As a rule, I like to do this anyway whenever I make a major location change with Axiom, just to be sure.

• Like 6

Steve,

The double balance points are interesting, do you have any more info on that, I cannot think of another detector that has that, or is it really just two available Notches that are automatically selected, either way it seems unique for a pulse machine.

Also, with this unique ground balance is it better at handling hot rocks then any other machine you have used, both VLF and Pulse.?

I have yet to find a machine of any type that can ignore the very hot small sized rocks 1" or less, but in quantity, and still see a target smaller than 1/4" and deeper than about an inch,  in an ares that looks promising for nuggets. In other words if you balance out these particular small iron hot rocks sensitivity and depth goes almost completely.

Thank.

Based upon what you showed in the video I would think you could balance out the ground and still hear meteorites in a place like Gold Basin.

Do you think you would be able to balance out the ground, then balance out the hot rocks at Franconia and still find meteorites?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Knomad said:

Steve,

The double balance points are interesting, do you have any more info on that, I cannot think of another detector that has that, or is it really just two available Notches that are automatically selected, either way it seems unique for a pulse machine.

Also, with this unique ground balance is it better at handling hot rocks then any other machine you have used, both VLF and Pulse.?

I have yet to find a machine of any type that can ignore the very hot small sized rocks 1" or less, but in quantity, and still see a target smaller than 1/4" and deeper than about an inch,  in an ares that looks promising for nuggets. In other words if you balance out these particular small iron hot rocks sensitivity and depth goes almost completely.

Thank.

All Minelab PI detectors ever made have dual channel ground balance. And despite people thinking it was Minelab only due to patents, Infinium, ATX, and now Axiom, are all dual ground balance models. The Infinium was introduced in 2002, twenty years ago, and Minelab never sued them then. So either the MPS patent had already expired by then, or Garrett used some way of doing it differently that dig not trigger a patent dispute.

As the explanation below discusses, this is why the White's TDI, as an older single channel design, was always a machine with an inherent disadvantage compared to the dual channel designs. Learn about "The Hole!"

Good explanation here

The PI Ground Balance "Hole"

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, mn90403 said:

Based upon what you showed in the video I would think you could balance out the ground and still hear meteorites in a place like Gold Basin.

Do you think you would be able to balance out the ground, then balance out the hot rocks at Franconia and still find meteorites?

It depends how close the ground balance points are to each other, and if they overlap to any degree.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

I stumbled across this video on FB and couldn't find it anywhere else like Youtube to post here but it was damn impressive I thought so I just had to put it up, this is what I like, the lead shot right next to the hot rock, most detectors fail miserably at this, the Axiom however does a great job even with a tiny pellet next to the hot rock.  A lot of detectors will blank out the hot rock no problem but with it goes the shot pellet.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1