Gold Prospector Nugget With The Axiom

I guess it depends on your needs and desires in a detector, for some the Axiom will be better, for others the 6000.  There is a lot I like about the Axiom and a lot I don't like about the 6000, let's say the 6000 performance is slightly better on some targets would I still rather have the 6000 than the Axiom with all the things I prefer about the Axiom.  That's the question I have to ask myself. 

For me the 6000 is an unstable flimsy machine that I don't really enjoy using, the Axiom is a solidly built unit and surprisingly lighter machine than the 6000 and it's said it runs more stable and doesn't go Geosense crazy so would I put up with differing performance for that? I think I would, as long as it was close enough as at least I'd want to use it. 

Not everyone has the problems I do with the 6000 but quite a few do it seems, so for them the questions would be different, what benefit would they see?  It's a very individual question as many of the variables are based on location and the person using it and the gold they're chasing.  I think detector choice is a very individual thing as our needs and desires are different so our detector choice will be too, and our King, I never liked that King thread.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

That’s basically what I was saying, the 6000 is not for me but the Axiom might be and sounds like a detector I’d like, at least on paper it does.  The sad thing for me is the 6000 should have been a machine I’d really like.  What better machine for someone that chases tiny gold than the most sensitive PI made to date.   I haven’t given up on it just yet with new coils ordered.  It could just be a shonky coil I’ve got, the coil hasn’t been checked or replaced.  If not it can end up in my rejects cupboard with the Simplex 😁

Comparing a product you do have to one you don’t is what customers do to establish if they want the other product, normal process in a competitive marketplace.  Nice to have some competition and choices.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, botics said:

Just curious… would the Axiom be a good choice for civil war gold/coins or relics? How about salt water and beaches? Looks interesting but don’t know if I would be better off with my 3030.

If you are into pulse induction metal detecting it might very well be. Some people take to it, some don't. You are going to dig more junk... and dig it deep!

Right now there are no coils for the Axiom that don't float like a cork, so if beach detecting, it would be on the beach, not wading in the water. Hopefully that changes in the future.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, botics said:

What’s the big difference with pulse induction vs normal detectors?

In general, PI detectors handle high mineral ground and hot rocks that impede VLF performance. This also means they can handle large coils more effectively than a VLF, which can add to the depth equation. In low mineral ground there is not a huge need for a PI, as it is not so much that a PI goes a lot deeper than a VLF per se, but that they lose a lot less depth than a VLF in bad ground. That is why air tests of PI vs VLF are kind of worthless. It's all about the ground. But to give you an idea, a good PI can go twice as deep as your CTX, even more, in really bad ground.

PI detectors also lack anything remotely close to VLF style discrimination, relying more on various audio characteristics and experience to determine whether to dig or not. In the crudest sense, PI detecting is for people who tend to dig most everything, VLF detecting for those who need lots of discrimination.

This link, and the articles it links to, will tell you more about ground balancing pulse induction (GBPI) discrimination than you will find anywhere else:

https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/11421-fisher-impulse-aq-discrimination-explanation/

garrett-axiom-metal-detector-finds-gold-nuggets.jpg

• Like 4