Gold Prospector Nugget With The Axiom

If using a mono coil, a small surface target will signal under each edge of the coil, a double signal. Easy for beginners to miss target by digging in middle of coil, when in fact target is under one edge. Swing wide enough to determine if you have a centered target, or one that is hitting on each edge. If it is that double blip hit on both edges type, this can be used to give a pass on the target. I usually stick my pick head with super magnet down and scuff around, and that will pull up a ferrous bit. Other wise dig it, unless in thick bird shot, then give it a pass. Again, just playing the odds.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

We've been doing the same thing with the Axiom at a couple known sites we've detected in times past.  We Play the odds and do not exert energy to chase those boomer signals, which is normally trash.  We've been listening for the softer and deeper signals.  Usually, the deeper the better of the odds of Au.

The surface BB's and small rubbish can be quite annoying in some areas, but you learn to deal with it.  An experienced ear can tell the width of the signal and even if it's a surface target.  Another thing to do in areas (you know) with surface trash, is to scuff the top inch and if it moves, I usually walk on while trying to spend the time on targets that are not surface.  Again, I mentioned in ground you know from previous success hunts.

I've never been able to distinguish a soft signal from a .01 gram nugget from a deep signal. How does a deep signal sound?

Bill

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cobill said:

I've never been able to distinguish a soft signal from a .01 gram nugget from a deep signal. How does a deep signal sound?

Bill

I'll try to catch it on video next time, if I remember.

Soft signal is not as pronounced and sharp as a surface signal of the same size.  Larger deep gold on the Axiom has a broader sound than a surface target.  I try to play a game and guess the size of the target and approx depth before each dig.  I've become pretty good at telling small narrow surface sounds from medium and larger deeper sounds.  Now a .22 casing at depth fools me as I hear soft sound and it's not broad, but I know it's not on surface so I dig it.

• Like 2

I want to thank everyone for their input. There are true experts on here that help everyone whether starting out like my boys and those older gentlemen like myself. Great resource and I am proud to be a part of this forum.

• Like 3