Only Took Four Years To Get My 5x10 Coil For Nox

23 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I believe the majority of coil ear breakages and all coils are from either over-tightening, or leaning on coils, or both. Yet you never see a single person ever admit to either. :cool:

I'm sure that contributes to the problem. In my case, I've owned at least two dozen detectors, and probably twice that many coils in my 52 years of detecting. I've never broken a single coil until I got the Equinox 12 X 15" coil.....and I'm on my third one so far. Same tightness, same wear, same use. You would think that Minelab, after getting many warranty claims on broken coil ears, would take a good look into their design and make changes to thicken or gusset the ears so that doesn't happen. What, it might cost them another $.02 in plastic? That's got to be cheaper than having to supply a new coil and shipping.

• Like 5

Thanks Steve but I'm sure they wouldn't cover it now that I've glued new tabs in place. I guess it's been less than two years but as I get older it's hard to tell time. 🙂. Besides I discovered them being cracked and broken the night before I was headed out to use it again. I had it fixed in about 30 minutes and its stronger than a new coil so I'm good to go. Maybe I should sell repair kits, two tabs and a can of black ABS cement 😁

• Like 3

I believe the majority of coil ear breakages and all coils are from either over-tightening, or leaning on coils, or both. Yet you never see a single person ever admit to either.

This is a fact.  I had a customer years ago call me and said the coil I sold him was junk, the ear broke off and it was cheaply made.  We went back in forth for days about this, finally I told the guy to bring it back so I could see it.  He said, "Look at that gap, that is why it broke, I had to tighten it down."  I happen to noticed he didn't have the teardrop washers on the shaft attached, and he didn't realize that and tightened it down super tight, breaking the ear.  

Just make sure you don't loose your shaft washers, this customer apologized and said they must have fell off and he didn't even realize it when he changed to the new coil :blink:

It happens,

Rob

• Like 1

Yup.   ... it happened to me with a little F75 eliptical coil.   I was changing it out and discovered the broken ear.   Very disgusted and thought "how could I have broken an ear on such a small, light coil?   Took it apart and noticed that the washer was missing on one side.  It had fallen out when I switched out coils in the field and I just tightened it down like normal and cracked the ear.    Totally my doing.  ☹️

• Like 1
  • Oh my! 1

I recommend having an extra lower rod for each of your extra coils to help insure you don't lose the rubber washers while switching coils. make switching between coils much quicker and easier also. Another thing to be careful of is only using enough tension on the coil bolts to keep the coil from flopping around. Its not necessary to crank down on the coil bolt. 

On 8/3/2022 at 2:33 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

Took me over 4 years after I first suggested we needed such a coil, but finally got my 5x10 Coiltek for Equinox today. Super well made, looks like Minelab factory made actually, great job Coiltek! After looking into a couple of the latest alternatives to Equinox released in the last year, I came to the decision that Equinox is still the best thing going for me personally. And with that decision made, there seemed no reason to not finally get this coil. I'm sorry Noxy, yes, I strayed, but now I'm back, and home for good. :smile:

Many thanks to Rob Allison for a super deal, and incredibly quick service!!

coiltek-5-x-10-searchcoil-minelab-equinox.jpg

Steve,

I just had to comment on your saying you came to the conclusion that, after looking at Equinox alternatives, the Equinox was the best thing going for you.  It's easy, I think, to take the Equinox for granted, and to forget what a truly fine metal detector it is.  I had gone away from mine for basically six months, exploring "alternatives" as you mentioned.  Today I rolled out my Equinox 800, apologized to it for neglecting it and detected a west coast beach for three hours.  Rock solid stable  performance, incredible depth (I dug a nickel in the wet sand at 16" with repeatable tone and target ID!), easy to adjust, and just fun to use.  Plus I was up to hunting speed in no time flat; getting back with the Equinox really is like riding a bike.  I know it's been 4 years since the Equinox came out, and I know there are rumors of a new Minelab machine coming in the fall (Equinox 2 or CTX replacement).  But I just wanted to remind people, like Steve did, that the Equinox continues to be one amazing metal detector.

• Like 3