Geology And Finding Gold

My son asked me what book to get that explains the geology and geological indicators to find gold sources? So, I said that I would get some suggestions from the seasoned gold hunters on Detector Prospector, instead of searching the internet where you will find that one person states that his book is the best, ... and, etc., etc. (My experience is somewhat limited, far from pro.)

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Geology And Finding Gold

2 hours ago, rled2005 said:

My son asked me what book to get that explains the geology and geological indicators to find gold sources? So, I said that I would get some suggestions from the seasoned gold hunters on Detector Prospector, instead of searching the internet where you will find that one person states that his book is the best, ... and, etc., etc. (My experience is somewhat limited, far from pro.)

If you live in a Northern climate near mountains and streams, Reese’s book “The Nugget Shooter’s Field Guide” would be a good one to accompany Chris Ralph’s  “ Fists Full of Gold”.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, GotAU? said:

If you live in a Northern climate near mountains and streams, Reese’s book “The Nugget Shooter’s Field Guide” would be a good one to accompany Chris Ralph’s  “ Fists Full of Gold”.

Southwest Oregon

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rled2005 said:

Southwest Oregon

Ah, then you have some great rivers and mountains nearby!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, GotAU? said:

Ah, then you have some great rivers and mountains nearby!

60 miles one way or the other for areas of mining.

• Like 1

Chris Ralph also has a great website with a lot of information. Articles, and videos that would be very interesting to a young prospector. Old prospectors too. 😉

http://nevada-outback-gems.com/prospect/chris_prospect.htm

Good luck,

Mike

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, rled2005 said:

60 miles one way or the other for areas of mining.

It’s all relative, we’re 3 hours from good areas in the desert.

Curious - Have you been out to the Steens Mtn area? I was trying to find some prospects there (for quartz crystals) but had to leave as we were chased out by lightning and heavy rains. Heard anything about mineral collecting that way?

3 minutes ago, delnorter said:

Chris Ralph also has a great website with a lot of information. Articles, and videos that would be very interesting to a young prospector. Old prospectors too. 😉

http://nevada-outback-gems.com/prospect/chris_prospect.htm

Good luck,

Mike

Thanks for posting that Mike, great references Chris put up there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GotAU? said:

It’s all relative, we’re 3 hours from good areas in the desert.

Curious - Have you been out to the Steens Mtn area? I was trying to find some prospects there (for quartz crystals) but had to leave as we were chased out by lightning and heavy rains. Heard anything about mineral collecting that way?

Been awhile since I’ve gone that. I went elk hunting out there when I lived in Bend, O

• Like 1