The Coins Do Add Up

5 hours ago, geof_junk said:

The metals are a mixture of copper and nickel . 5c, 10c, 20c and 50c coins are 75 per cent copper and 25 per cent nickel.

How do you clean them (and don't tell me this is how they are found -- if so I'm moving to Australia 😏)?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

In the unsorted pile it looks like a ring next to the U, is it or is my eyes just playing tricks on me.

That is a lot of digging for sure and I hope your back gets to feeling better after all that.

Good luck on your next hunt, and bring in some gold to that pile of coins.

• Like 2

The one and 2 golden dollars are the cream on the beach dry sand. If you buy something with a paper/plastic not you have more chance of getting more $2 coins than $1. The $1 and $2 get spent straight away but the fake silver ones get thrown in a bucket. As most coins we find these days are found on the dry sand and are in good condition. All of these coins are post 1966 when Aus. changed to decimal currency and are not collected by me.

Back to the fake $1 and $2 coins I used to hit the main holiday spot about 200 miles east of Melbourne. There was a boy (from an unfortunate family) that would see my car and race over and dig all the targets for me. After the first time I came to the agreement that $1, $2 and jewellery were mine and for his effort he got all the other coins and toys that he dug up. I think he was always checking to see if I was there because he never missed when I was detecting.😁 

• Like 5

Sounds like one great little partner right there ! .

Careful though , he might earn enough to buy a detector.

Then that beach will always be empty when you show up and he will be hopelessly addicted as we all knew he would .........🤩

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Update Coins cashed in today. The machine total $333.15 from 2137 (copper/nickel coins) fake silver coins.

50¢ = 231 coins value $115.50

20¢ = 635 coins value $127.00

10¢ = 602 coins value  $60.20

5¢  = 669 coins value  $33.50

• Like 3

Many years ago, I finally bought a tumbler to clean up about 10 years worth of all the coins from the beach and water……I spent no less than two full days tumbling the coins in a mixture of sand and vinegar. Off to the bank coin counting machine with two heavy duty duffel bags that I struggled to carry. I was at that counting machine for over an hour……..final tally was just under $4000 👍

Those were the days when everyone carried coins to the beach…..not so much now.

In hindsight I should have hired a cement mixer and cleaned the coins in one go.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Oh my! 1

Well Carol only got a third of a $1000 but the machine I used took an hour too. The computer keep crashing and would only take a maximum of 400 coins. The bank employer was get mad at the machine and was very happy when it was all over. ☹️ 

• Like 2

I’ve still got over $100 in damaged $1 and $2 coins……I think they can be exchanged by banks?

• Like 4

11 hours ago, geof_junk said:

The bank employer was get mad at the machine and was very happy when it was all over. ☹️ 

The island's only bank won't even let me run my coins through their machine.. they took one look at the bags of dodgy looking coins and told me I had to join the bank before they'd think about it.. also at the pub and some shops they'll only accept corroded coins when they can see the Queen's head.. ☹️  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2