Jump to content

Ferrite Ring 8 Years Later


1515Art

Recommended Posts

I don’t have my GPZ anymore, but one of my last discussion on it was about the ferrite ring. The first shipments didn’t have one it was a later add on I thought more for some X factor that was an issue in the heavily mineralized soils in Australia. The 7000 was at times pretty unstable depending on conditions and the rings were shipped everywhere. It became a ceremony starting up the GPZ you’d do your act of contrition throw down the ring for a donation to appease the Devine spirit of the holy patch and spend the day praying for gold.

minelab later anointed us with an offering our first communion a spiritual update version XX and all was good in the kingdom of the fields, did we in the western kingdom need to continue the ceremony of the ring… or was it a habit that brought spiritual peace, for we had already reached salvation?

out of curiosity having committed first the sin of breaking my ring and then an almost unforgivable act of forgetfulness the omission abandonment the ring never to be seen again.

who among us, cast the first stone discarding the past traditions of our faith and ditched the ring and why, conversely for those finding comfort in the old traditions why, does it still bring you closer to the enlightenment we seek.

seriously, here in the milder soils of the untied states, does it help or do we use it because minelab gave it to us and it might make a difference, after losing my second ring I guess I lost faith and moved on not noticing a difference in the obstacles of my journey.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


On 8/4/2022 at 9:56 PM, 1515Art said:

out of curiosity having committed first the sin of breaking my ring and then an almost unforgivable act of forgetfulness the omission abandonment the ring never to be seen again.

I have epoxy dipped ferrites hanging all over the house and seems like in every vehicle. LOL Available at @Doc‘s  Detecting, haven’t lost or broke one ever, make great gifts for your detecting friends.

https://www.detectorprospector.com/uploads/monthly_2022_08/8531BD94-389D-49C2-9623-B7ECF7EDDE66.jpeg.c574ae303b089d30602fbb0beed08f0d.jpeg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks good to know where a ready supply is just in case. I just might decide to give Doc a call and have him send one out might just get one to hang on a string around my neck, my last ring was wrapped in orange para cord kept it from breaking, even the bright orange cord couldn’t keep me from loosing it.

Friend of mine had a little 4 wheel drive kabota, smaller than yours I’d borrow it from time to time sure beats using a pick and shovel any day. 

  • Oh my! 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, 1515Art said:

Thanks good to know where a ready supply is just in case. I just might decide to give Doc a call and have him send one out might just get one to hang on a string around my neck, my last ring was rapped in orange para cord kept it from breaking,

Yea you're in Vegas, he's in Henderson, I'm sure he has lots, they're GREAT.

(I assume you meant "wrapped" as I don't know anyone perverted enough to rape ferrite rings... LOL)

@Doc

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey Art,

   Here are my thoughts, at least here in Arizona.  When the Minelab GPZ 7000 originally came out, with the first firmware update, there was no Ferrite ring included with the detector, nor was it available.  It wasn't until a year or so later, the Ferrite ring was included in the detector and the firmware was updated (new purchases or available to download).  

For 2 years solid, I found some of my best gold with the GPZ 7000 and never used a Ferrite ring.  I would just do the normal balance in the "Auto" mode and start hunting.  I actually found in my opinion some of my smallest gold and largest with the original firmware and felt later one after the additional firmware updates I was finding smaller and not as deep.  This might just by in my mind, but I remember finding smaller gold with the stock 14x13 back then.  

I have used the Ferrite ring over the years and do carry one with me for the most part, but haven't really seen a huge difference using it vs. not using it.  

Now when it comes to Ferrite rings, they say the color ID's  the Ferrite ring.  However, some have claimed Doc's don't do the same as the Minelab one and I haven't found any truth to this.  I have even brought this to Doc's attention years ago, but I still have customers that claim the Minelab one works better than any aftermarket one.  

Just some thoughts on this.

Rob

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Rob Allison said:

Hey Art,

   Here are my thoughts, at least here in Arizona.  When the Minelab GPZ 7000 originally came out, with the first firmware update, there was no Ferrite ring included with the detector, nor was it available.  It wasn't until a year or so later, the Ferrite ring was included in the detector and the firmware was updated (new purchases or available to download).  

For 2 years solid, I found some of my best gold with the GPZ 7000 and never used a Ferrite ring.  I would just do the normal balance in the "Auto" mode and start hunting.  I actually found in my opinion some of my smallest gold and largest with the original firmware and felt later one after the additional firmware updates I was smaller smaller and not as deep.  This might just by in my mind, but I remember finding smaller gold with the stock 14x13 back then.  

I have used the Ferrite ring over the years and do carry one with me for the most part, but haven't really seen a huge difference using it vs. not using it.  

Now when it comes to Ferrite rings, they say the color ID's  the Ferrite ring.  However, some have claimed Doc's don't do the same as the Minelab one and I haven't found any truth to this.  I have even brought this to Doc's attention years ago, but I still have customers that claim the Minelab one works better than any aftermarket one.  

Just some thoughts on this.

Rob

Rob, thanks I felt the same about it as you and really appreciate your opinion the subject came up and I wonder what other opinions were, some of this because of the nature of what we do it feels like just being a good citizen and having good karma on they way to the gold fields can improve your luck. Having a good attitude makes a difference too.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  I'll give you folks my method of ground balancing with the ferrite. It works well for me but maybe not for everyone. Start by setting the ferrite ring on the ground where you are certain there are no targets. Stand the ferrite on edge and orient it North and South  (Australians and New Zelanders may have to orient it South to North). Step away from the ferrite a few feet and ground balance the detector. Now your ready to go find gold! Don't forget to pick up your ferrite ring at the end of the day. I would love to have anyone come here and demonstrate that ground balancing with the ferrite ring in this area makes any significant improvement.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, klunker said:

  I'll give you folks my method of ground balancing with the ferrite. It works well for me but maybe not for everyone. Start by setting the ferrite ring on the ground where you are certain there are no targets. Stand the ferrite on edge and orient it North and South  (Australians and New Zelanders may have to orient it South to North). Step away from the ferrite a few feet and ground balance the detector. Now your ready to go find gold! Don't forget to pick up your ferrite ring at the end of the day. I would love to have anyone come here and demonstrate that ground balancing with the ferrite ring in this area makes any significant improvement.

I couldn’t agree more… so, I’ll just say, yep.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...