Ferrite Ring 8 Years Later

2 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Miscommunication between Aussies and Yanks is legendary, and not to be taken seriously. :smile: 

animals-fast_food-chicken_wars-take_out_

What's the expression......Two countries separated by a common language? 😄

• Like 1

On 8/8/2022 at 7:40 AM, Rob Allison said:

** Something Important to Customers - The ferrite rings are super fragile, many have just tossed them down on the ground and shattered them.  It's best if you place them gently on the ground, "don't toss" them or there is a high change of it breaking into pieces.  Some have covered them in various material to protect them, even electrical tape. 

I just wrapped mine in small bubble wrap…a couple of wraps. I toss it on the ground even when there are rocks. It's never given a hint of breaking. Try it, you might be surprised.

And yes, I use a ring...

• Like 2

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viscous_remanent_magnetization

Bit of light reading for you Jen. In the case of the 7000 as described in my post above X can become an issue due to slight variations in ZVT, with slight differences in temperature, electronic differences or coil differences making it hard to calibrate at factory. PIs are not overly affected due to pulse not a constant Tx like ZVT but can still have issues in saturable places. Where VRM is extreme the G balance can compensate for some of it but not all. I’m no expert BTW and only have a basic understanding.  

https://www.minelab.com/__files/f/254716/KBA 24-1 Basics of the GPZ 7000 Technology Zero Voltage Transmission (ZVT).pdf

This article is more focussed and relevant to ML detectors especially the comments about ground balancing and reactive soil component. 

• Like 2

On 8/10/2022 at 8:12 AM, Northeast said:

Obviously this is all related to the 7000.  Does X signal affect a GPX of any model?  Is there any auto calibration happening in a GPX 6000?  

Can the GPX 6000 balance both 'G' and 'X' the same as GPZ 7000 does?

The GPX 6000 does not track the Ferrite component of the ground. GeoSense-PI uses other techniques to remove the 'X' response that is invisible to the operator.
You do not need a yellow ferrite to ground balance the GPX 6000.

From the Minelab website.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 8/14/2022 at 3:43 AM, cudamark said:

Yes, confusion abounds when you start talking American to an Aussie or Kiwi. Order biscuits and gravy in a restaurant and see what looks you get! Getting pissed has a whole different meeting, not to mention the word fanny! 😆

A major lesson learned after moving to Australia is that friends here use words that, in the states, you don’t even use for enemies (much less suitable for this forum). JP’s post was actually quite warm and fluffy relative to the usual vernacular. 

• Haha 3

we are a weird mob here. The steering wheel is on the right side of the car and the cars have boots and bonnets, we don't put our luggage in the front of the car like Germans do (VW) or use a petrol tank as a rear bumper bar likes the USA do (Ford Pinto). The blood goes to our brain as we are upside down, not like those northerner they have the flood draining from their brain down to the feet. To get back to gold beware if you find gold near an eucalyptus forest Aussies might take you into Drop Bear country or feed you a deadly vegemite sandwich. You have been warned.

🤥  

• Haha 2