GPX 6000 Stock Coils In Water Usage Tip #3

I have been detecting with the GPX 6000 and other model detectors in creeks and rivers during the hotter summer months. The air pocket under the GPX 6000 skid plate is quite large and makes the coil act like a floating cork. The best solution I found was removing the skid plate and using UPC 2 inch 10mil. pipe wrap on the actual coil thus removing the air pocket when under water. Please see pictures! This tape is extremely scratch resistant and has great stretch ability without leaving much sticky tape residue. I have over a thousand hours detecting with the GPX 6000 using this tape without any damage to the coil. I infrequently only need to add tape to the bottom edges after a lot of coil bumping. The skid plate also fits back over the taped coil edge for when you go back to dry land detecting.

I have also used a small amount of this tape to the inside of the battery compartment to tighten the loose seating of the battery. This also has prevented the exclamation warning screen from occurring when the detector is bumped hard enough or dropped. If the exclamation warning is frequent then please send it in to the repair center to be fixed correctly.

Also note the accessory armrest covers in the picture. These are item # 3011-0144 Armrest Wear Kit, GPX/Sov/Eureka.-- very comfortable on the GPX 6000.

Take a kid detecting.

Ron

7BE009AB-BBE0-440F-9448-A769D3BD4D69.jpeg

0A877906-E561-40D4-8AA3-00AC6E450734.jpeg

561AA0E6-0A9F-402F-8DA1-285818EFC8CE.jpeg

A3046D71-AD94-46C9-96AA-E23C0CEB90A7.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

• The title was changed to GPX 6000 Stock Coils In Water Usage Tip #3

Ron, this looks like a very good idea, thanks for sharing it. Curious- how well is the mono working out for you in streams, particularly in black sand deposits?

On 8/5/2022 at 10:45 PM, GotAU? said:

Ron, this looks like a very good idea, thanks for sharing it. Curious- how well is the mono working out for you in streams, particularly in black sand deposits?

I have been able to work somewhat successfully in heavy mineralized stream beds here with the mono coil using the difficult timing. There are certain serpentine and granite type bedrock types here that are not workable at all with the stock 11" coil. Fortunately these hotter bedrock areas are only about 25% of the areas I detect so I just bypass them. I have not had any issues detecting with the mono on the sandbars here, but the stream sandbars here are not heavily enriched with black sands. I have not tried this GPX 6000 on the Oregon coast yet where the gold bearing black sands are in thick layers such as Gold Beach.

24BC7808-ED20-4CCB-9F29-967532D5623F.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1