Tiny 14k, .8g Bracelet In The Surf...

4 hours ago, midalake said:

Really surprised you did not bag other gold in that spot. Great work! 

It wasn't for lack of trying!!!  I just didn't get the coil over any other detectable gold!

• Like 1

On 8/6/2022 at 11:09 AM, cuniagau said:

I do wonder now just how many "tiny" pieces of gold I have been over and just walked on by??? 

I use nearly the identical settings and also with the 15" coil.  For years I went without using any F or F2 but I've seen my beaches get a little bit ratty with black sand lately and I'll adjust it to as much as 6 on the F2.

In previous years and hunts I recognized the near 0 and below readings would sometimes be a good target including gold.  Simon and I have mentioned it in threads before.  I normally take the iron volume from 5 (default) up to 10 or maybe 12 so that I don't miss that type of iffy.  Somewhere on depth and metal type there is a possibility I could miss something like you found.

As far as size goes, I went out the second night where I had found my 5 rings and there was almost nothing, but I did get a 'little' 9 which always makes us stop and interrogate the source.  I couldn't get it in the scoop, so I had to spread it out on the sand, and I finally found this little stud missing earring.  By its weight I could tell it was gold.

IMG_20220808_140819_021[1].jpg

• Like 2

Well, How is this for a coincidence? Yesterday, I posted congrats on your gold chain and was thinking that I missed out on all the fun. Last night I headed down to the beach and eventually found a productive spot. I was using the Excal in the wet sand and after scooping out a target, I saw a small gold chain in the basket. I was startled because the Excal will not hit a small gold chain but when I looked again I saw ANOTHER, much bigger chain (stainless steel) in the scoop amongst the wet sand and shells. And, it had a St. Christopher medallion attached to it. The gold chain is VERY similar to the one you just found. I don't know how I found this but thank you St. Chris!

IMG_20220808_132304.jpg

• Like 5
  • Oh my! 1

Awesome find. I don't find many gold chains.

• Sad 1

33 minutes ago, Compass said:

Well, How is this for a coincidence? Yesterday, I posted congrats on your gold chain and was thinking that I missed out on all the fun. Last night I headed down to the beach and eventually found a productive spot. I was using the Excal in the wet sand and after scooping out a target, I saw a small gold chain in the basket. I was startled because the Excal will not hit a small gold chain but when I looked again I saw ANOTHER, much bigger chain (stainless steel) in the scoop amongst the wet sand and shells. And, it had a St. Christopher medallion attached to it. The gold chain is VERY similar to the one you just found. I don't know how I found this but thank you St. Chris!

IMG_20220808_132304.jpg

Congrats on the chain no matter how you detected it!!!  I have dug a couple of St Chris medals lately. One was for surfing and the other was for baseball.  Yours wouldn't happen to be for Metal Detecting was it?  LOL  

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, cuniagau said:

Congrats on the chain no matter how you detected it!!!  I have dug a couple of St Chris medals lately. One was for surfing and the other was for baseball.  Yours wouldn't happen to be for Metal Detecting was it?  LOL  

I have found many surfing St Christophers over the years but this one was just the old-fashioned kind. I beach-hunted with a guy once who found a tent stake with a gold chain wrapped around it. Maybe there is some science around these types of finds.

IMG_20220808_200402_01.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, mn90403 said:

In previous years and hunts I recognized the near 0 and below readings would sometimes be a good target including gold.  Simon and I have mentioned it in threads before.  I normally take the iron volume from 5 (default) up to 10 or maybe 12 so that I don't miss that type of iffy.

This is where horseshoe mode comes in. Listen to everything.

At depth, if the target double rings or breaks down on a 360 look, it is ferrous. If the target single rings steady at a 360 look it is nonferrous. I don't care if the Equinox is posting a -5 number....it is nonferrous!
95 out of 100 targets. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I very, very rarely use the shoe.  I want to hear everything as clearly as possible.  I do see other people on their videos on the beach and they never hunt with the shoe off.  I always wonder what they miss, and I'd like to go back behind them and see.