New Hobby Choosing A Detector

Hello, I have been researching this hobby the last week or so and I am thinking I want to give this a shot.  I live in Arizona, and want to do mostly coin and jewelry hunting with the occasional hunt on old towns for relics and gold areas for gold nuggets.

I was strongly considering the AT PRO or ACE 400 after lots of research, but now someone is selling a slightly used G2+ for only $400 which is very tempting considering the price.  I consider myself a very fast learner, but the relative simplicity, various modes and lengthy history of the AT PRO are making it a tough decision.

Some guidance would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!

• Like 1

There are many at this site that you can trust to guide you.  There are many here much more experienced that me, but I just looked up the specs for the G2 plus and it sounds like a great machine running at 19Kz, a favorite freq for those who hunt relics and at 400 dollars it sounds like a real bargain, not to mention they have a 5 year warrenty.  The Garrett pro seems like a solid detector as well and it being waterproof would come in handy off and on for sure.  Lots of folks here like the Nokta/Makro products like the Racer 2 and there are some here that are die hard MXT fans.

Check with others here before buying as many have much more experience with various machines than I do.

30 minutes ago, Roughwater said:

not to mention they have a 5 year warrenty.

I jumped on the warranty thing at first too, but I guess they are non-transferable and require original receipt to be accepted.  The racer 2 sounded nice as well and the newer MTX Sport was investigated but seems like it needs more time before its proven.  

I started to wonder if am I just splitting hairs with all these different models and I am starting to think just finding a good deal on a well reviewed mid range detector is a better way to go about this.  I mean in the end I will find stuff and have fun even even with an ACE 150 right?

Welcome, dustman27.  To my knowledge, the Teknetics G2+ is the same as Fisher F19, and both are close relatives to the (newer) Fisher Gold Bug series.  I have the Gold Bug Pro with all three stock coils.  Regarding ease of use, I don't think it gets much easier for a detector that has this much firepower, but I'm not experienced with other detectors so take that opinion with a grain of salt.

$400 is a very good price for a G2+ with the 11 inch open DD, assuming it is in top condition.  Best price for a new one on Ebay (that I could find) is $750, including shipping.

Dustman-

I too, live in AZ. I would recommend the Nokta Fors Core. I have used one for over a year now. I have also used a G2+ and felt that the CoRe served me better. Just my humble opinion.

Dean

17 minutes ago, bado1 said:

Dustman-

I too, live in AZ. I would recommend the Nokta Fors Core. I have used one for over a year now. I have also used a G2+ and felt that the CoRe served me better. Just my humble opinion.

Dean

Would you say this is on account of the minerals in our soil? I assume our soil has a very high mineral content and lots of hot rocks.  What appealed to you about it over the G2?  Any luck trying an AT Pro?  

I like the lower weight machines because my wife is only 110 lbs and I want her to be able to use it on occasion.

8 hours ago, dustman27 said:

Hello, I have been researching this hobby the last week or so and I am thinking I want to give this a shot.  I live in Arizona, and want to do mostly coin and jewelry hunting with the occasional hunt on old towns for relics and gold areas for gold nuggets.

I was strongly considering the AT PRO or ACE 400 after lots of research, but now someone is selling a slightly used G2+ for only $400 which is very tempting considering the price.  I consider myself a very fast learner, but the relative simplicity, various modes and lengthy history of the AT PRO are making it a tough decision.

Some guidance would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!

You know Dustman, it's always kind of hard when someone asks for recommendations for their first detector. As everyone has favorites and opinions and so on.

I particularly liked your words "I consider myself a fast learner" as it's shows confidence. Enough confidence to nut out quickly which detector to buy and learn.

And the use of detectors ain't rocket science. They are across the board very simplistic.

On the machines you've mentioned, you run yourself through the menu's on the screen in audio airtests, on top of the ground tests, and real in-ground target response.

You isolate a target, notice the tone, size the target quickly by backing and forthing, noting the numerical numbers, and quickly pop it out of the ground and check if your judgement was right.

Easily mastered game. Good outdoor fitness.

That G2+ at $400, beaut unit for coin, jewellery, relic and gold detecting. A real man's detector. Small 6" or so accessory coil a must to bring you down off that stock 10" blade when you need to.

Good luck with your choice and new hobby.

8 hours ago, dustman27 said:

I started to wonder if am I just splitting hairs with all these different models and I am starting to think just finding a good deal on a well reviewed mid range detector is a better way to go about this.

You may be just splitting hairs but I totally understand as I have probably been doing the same thing in my search for a good all around VLF detector.  There are so many things to consider, I think my brain was going into contortions.  One that impressed me earlier at least in features was the Racer 2.  If you haven't seen this post check it out.  

If your thinking about the At pro then I would consider the AT gold instead. My wife uses one and she loves it. Simple to operate... Stable target ID, Light, 18khz and fast recovery. She actually prefers it over her Deus which costs nearly twice as much.

strick

• Like 1