Let's Talk About The Z-Lynk Orange Carrot Pin Pointer

As I stand here in a pile of black and orange pin pointers, from Garrett and Minelab, credit card in hand trying not to purchase (but wanting to soooooooo badly) the Z-Link Garrett pin pointer...... someone please either push me off the ledge or talk me off of it.

My Axiom is ordered, should I get the compatible pin pointer? What experiences have any of you had with this pin pointer (obviously not used with the Axiom as it's not out yet) but do the coil windings false every detector within 50 miles like my black Garretts and Minelab's of the past, does it start beeping when you turn it on and false if you even make eye contact with it?

I must have over $500 invested in pin pointers that have been a bit disappointment... the only one I've REALLY loved was actually my Coiltek... LOL.. Coiltek? WHUT YOU TALKIING BOUT WILLIS.. I can hear you all saying already..

Yes they made the best pin pointer ever made in my opinion..... but I digress...

Let's have a chat about the Z-Lynk compatible pin pointer if you've used it, plus'es, minus'es .... interference, falsing etc....

Do I buy one?

Please don't fill this thread up with dialog about the need or non need for one, let's say hypothetically that yes I have decided to get one, is the Z-Lynk Carrot worth $170.00?

This'll be fun..... thanks all... looking forward to your feedback.

PS: Admin/Mods, can you please add a "Z-Lynk" tag, I could not add one/not found. If there is already a thread on this, please delete, thanks.

image.thumb.png.bc786533e74adb09db7d075f55db8251.png

• Like 1

• Jennifer changed the title to Let's Talk About The Z-link Orange Carrot Pin Pointer

In my opinion, for most people, and most uses, the waterproof Garrett Pro-Pointer AT is one of the best pinpointers ever made. It was Garrett that actually defined pinpointers, and many made are simply copies of the ground Garrett blazed with the original Pro-Pointer model. Few have ever been as good for various reasons, mostly to do with ease of use. I can operate my Pro-Pointer with one hand, with my eyes shut, due to proper placement of the on/off button, and appropriate audio or vibrate feedback when powering on, and off. The only one I have used that seemed to compete well was the Fisher F-Pulse, but my F-Pulse seems to have crapped out, so I'm back to the Pro-Pointer.

The Z-Lynk option can be nice I guess, but fact is I use my Pro-Pointer in silent vibrate mode with ALL my detectors, and am so used to running it that way I do the same with the Axiom. So I don't think a Z-Lynk enabled model is a necessity, at least not for me.

I will comment on use even though you said not to. :smile: I rarely need an actual pinpointer when nugget detecting. A scoop does the trick in most cases. The exception is areas with lots of deep nails, tailing piles of any sort, especially where it is hard digging. A PI can hit a nail very deep, and it is not uncommon that they do not center under the coil properly, and can be missed when digging a hole. In tough digging ground there is a tendency to keep the hole small, making the problem worse. I've also had the hole size constrained by nearby obstructions like a cut bank, or a large tree root. A good pinpointer has told me quite a few time I was an inch off the nail, and digging past it.

Also, if I am on what I think is a very large nugget, or in place valuable specimens lurk, I approach the target with care, and a pinpointer is a vital part of that. Nothing can make life suck like putting a pick into a nice nugget. 

To sum up, I do not carry a pinpointer with me in places where there is only minimal surface trash. My magnet does a better job of sorting that stuff out. But if I am in a location with either lots of deep trash, or very large nuggets are a serious part of the goal, then I will have a pinpointer on me.

For Axiom, when tuning up, turn on the pinpointer and place nearby while doing the EMI cancel routine. This will help insure that the pinpointer and detector play well together. Even then, do not have the coil right next to the hole when using the pinpointer in the hole, unless you want an earful.

Final tip. Be aware a PI really like to pick up a pinpointer on your person. Keep it well away from the detector. Far side of body on belt at a minimum, or possibly even in a rucksack top pocket, behind neck, if running large coils.

The photo below is of a 1.26 oz nugget I found with the aid of the original Garrett Pro-Pointer at Ganes Creek, Alaska. That hole is a lot deeper than it looks because you are staring straight down it. I was afraid I'd hit what was possibly a large nugget, and am actually punching into the base on an embankment, and trying not to undermine it. An example of a real situation where the pinpointer was genuinely appreciated.

Z-Lynk Tag Added

garrett-pro-pointer-ganes-creek-nugget.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Steve Herschbach changed the title to Let's Talk About The Z-Lynk Orange Carrot Pin Pointer

Pro-Pointer AT Z-Lynk Instructional Video - Basic features and functions of the fully wireless Pro-Pointer AT Z-Lynk pinpointer are demonstrated. Sections include: wireless syncing; a tip on factory reset; adjusting detection and sensitivity settings; lost pinpointer alarm; retuning the Pro-Pointer to find targets faster or to overcome environmental challenges; battery replacement; and general care.

Pro-Pointer AT Z-Lynk Owner's Manual

garrett-wireless-pinpointer-at-z-lynk.jp

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

To sum up, I do not carry a pinpointer with me in places where there is only minimal surface trash. My magnet does a better job of sorting that stuff out. But if I am in a location with either lots of deep trash, or very large nuggets are a serious part of the goal, then I will have a pinpointer on me.

Exactly the info I was looking for, thank you Steve..... rarely do I use a pinpointer, as you mentioned but there have been a couple times where my head's and arm's been down a deep hole and it has come in handy.... See how easy that was to twist my (rubber) arm.... ordering one as we speak, thank you for all the information, very detailed and exactly why this forum rules while the others drool..... ❤️

They should give you commission @Steve Herschbach your words here have sold them an Axiom and a pinpointer and next will be a 1/4 to Z-Lynk transmitter.... 👍

image.thumb.png.25675c363c7ae5554170e9c239e0c885.png

No experience with the Garrett, I did…still have the xp wireless and for park hunting I really liked not broadcasting what I was doing as soon as people hear the pinpointer it’s like ringing the dinner bell and people flock over to see what your doing or what you found. Having the sound directly into the headphones is nice but, I found myself having to switch back and forth until the target was in reach of the pinpointer no big deal but the wireless switch from one to another had a habit of switching the pinpointer off and not turning the Deus volume back on. Eventually I quit using it and went back to my old pinpointer.

• Thanks 1

I've tried to find a better pinpointer than the Garrett AT and have failed, it still ends up my favourite.

I've tried just about everything except the Nokta's as I knew I'd be wasting my time with them.

The closest match I've found for it for my prospecting is the XP MI-4/6 which I might add works very well with the GPZ but overall the Carrot is still better performing.

I use a pinpointer a lot prospecting as a lot of the time I'm chasing gold in bedrock, and having to smash up the bedrock to get the gold out, the pinpoint helps me narrow down where to smash as it's certainly not easy to do.  It can take me half an hour to recover a target in the rock.

The Carrot AT and AT Z-Lynk are the same pinpointer so I am sure it will not disappoint.  Some like the F-Pulse and I understand why, if in very bad soil it will be superior being a PI but very much lacks the small gold sensitivity of the Carrot.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I mainly hunt on land on permissions, so my digging is in soil with turf or farm field for coins and relics.  My first PP was the old Generation 1 black Garrett PP.

I have both the MI-6 and (2) Garrett PPAT Z-lynk.  I use the the MI-6 with the D2 and like the wireless operation, when it works.  It has trouble connecting sometimes, and I have had to re pair it a couple of times, like the D2 RC forgets it’s paired.  I hope XP fixes this and soon.

I use the Garrett PPAT Z-Lynk with my Apex.  The second PPATZ is used as a spare.  I like the PPATZ better than the MI-6.   It seems more sensitive and always connects to the Z-Lynk headphones.  It seems to eat the 9V batteries pretty quickly though and when the battery gets low, the PP sounds like a European police siren.  I always keep a spare battery in the car.

I thought that I would like the PP cutting out the detector audio on the D2 during PP use, but that feeling is mixed.  Once a plug is extracted, sometimes the MI-6 cannot locate the target, so I have to turn it off, and sweep the coil of the D2 over the plug or the hole for a check.  Then react accordingly.  With the PPATZ, you can swing the detector coil over the plug and the hole without turning the PPATZ off and back on.  When a lot of  EMI is present, hearing the chattering Apex, and the PPATZ can get a bit annoying.  Hence, I wish the Apex had a mute function, like the Simplex.

Good luck with whatever you settle on.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DIG5050 said:

I mainly hunt on land on permissions, so my digging is in soil with turf or farm field for coins and relics.  My first PP was the old Generation 1 black Garrett PP.

I have both the MI-6 and (2) Garrett PPAT Z-lynk.  I use the the MI-6 with the D2 and like the wireless operation, when it works.  It has trouble connecting sometimes, and I have had to re pair it a couple of times, like the D2 RC forgets it’s paired.  I hope XP fixes this and soon.

I use the Garrett PPAT Z-Lynk with my Apex.  The second PPATZ is used as a spare.  I like the PPATZ better than the MI-6.   It seems more sensitive and always connects to the Z-Lynk headphones.  It seems to eat the 9V batteries pretty quickly though and when the battery gets low, the PP sounds like a European police siren.  I always keep a spare battery in the car.

I thought that I would like the PP cutting out the detector audio on the D2 during PP use, but that feeling is mixed.  Once a plug is extracted, sometimes the MI-6 cannot locate the target, so I have to turn it off, and sweep the coil of the D2 over the plug or the hole for a check.  Then react accordingly.  With the PPATZ, you can swing the detector coil over the plug and the hole without turning the PPATZ off and back on.  When a lot of  EMI is present, hearing the chattering Apex, and the PPATZ can get a bit annoying.  Hence, I wish the Apex had a mute function, like the Simplex.

Good luck with whatever you settle on.  

I bought the Xp m1 when it first came out in 2016 They had lots of complaints about the issues with connectivity of the pinpointer it has been out 8 years, the’ll get right on it I’m sure. Customer service in French is spelled, wait I can’t use that language here… don’t hold your breath.

11 hours ago, 1515Art said:

I found myself having to switch back and forth until the target was in reach of the pinpointer no big deal but the wireless switch from one to another had a habit of switching the pinpointer off and not turning the Deus volume back on.

The Z-Lynk AT Pinpointer operates differently than the XP wireless pinpointer in this respect.  Activating the Z-Lynk PP does not shut off the detector audio, you will hear both in your headphones simultaneously. I like not having to switch back and forth between the coil and PP when trying to determine if the target is in or out of the hole or trying to center up the target again (using the coil) if you've moved a lot of dirt and potentially displaced the target from its original position.  So you do have to keep the Z-Lynk PP away from the coil during recovery (just like a non-wireless PP) because the coil will scream at you as the detector audio is not muted when using the Z-Lynk PPif you get the PP near the coil.  I use the Z-Lynk PP and transmitter with my GPX 4800.

I don't like having to switch back and forth with the XP wireless PP either but since I am usually recovering shallower targets and smaller plugs with the Deus 2 than I am with the GPX (relic hunter here), I usually just commit to the XP PP when recovering the target and don't switch.  Overall, though I like using the Z-Lynk audio setup with my GPX and like the "full duplex" audio (i.e., being able to hear both coil and PP audio and unlike the XP PP, the Z-Lynk PP will also vibrate in wireless mode), the XP is a far superior PP vs. the Z-Lynk PP from a tip sensitivity, ratcheting sensitivity, and pitch audio adjustment perspective.  Also, the Z-Lynk PP, unlike the original Carrot, tends to have zero ground point sensitivity drift (at max sensitivity) after I first activate it, requiring me to re-GB it or reduce sensitivity a notch (single button press), which is a weird quirk but something I have gotten used to.

Is it worth $50 more standalone than the traditional Carrot?  Probably not.  It is not more sensitive, the wireless audio seems weaker than the Carrot speaker audio such that I find myself primarily relying on vibration anyway, and the only thing you really gain is not having to remove your phones while pinpointing which makes it easier to go back and forth between PP and coil during recovery.  I got mine as part of a total Z-Lynk package with transmitter, PP, and MS-3 wireless headphones, so it was worth it that way.

HTH

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

HTH

IDHT