High Grading Claim Jumpers

Just now, GotAU? said:

Do you have cellular at the site?

No.

Sheriff and even BLM rangers all have the power to arrest high graders. They just choose not to, generally. Because in their view it's not easy or even possible to prove the ownership/validity of claims in the first place. Further, actual boundaries are a fuzzy topic and the sheriff can't exactly rely on your own corner posts as being accurate. Things like this...

That's why mostly they insist they won't get involved and say it's a civil matter in court.

You have one other option: you could try to talk to the county prosecuter. If you can convince them both of the validity of your claim/boundaries (get a real survey), as well that the value of the theft is large, you might be able to convince them that it's a case worth their time to prosecute. 

If the DA agrees it's worth prosecuting such a case, they might recommend the sheriff patrol the area or respond to a call. But it'd have to be something like systematic claim jumping and theft of a high value. 

5 minutes ago, GhostMiner said:

No.

Try different carriers. Verizon used to be best for rural. Now I think ATT is better. Also, wireless cell repeaters/boosters can take 0 bars to 2 or 3 bars, especially if you get the antenna up really high.

• Like 2

Red Ink Mine area in Placer county is where the worlds top crystalline gold comes from, sold under Eagles Nest Mine. I would say thats one reason why Placer county Sherrifs were involved there.

10 minutes ago, jasong said:

Sheriff and even BLM rangers all have the power to arrest high graders. They just choose not to, generally. Because in their view it's not easy or even possible to prove the ownership/validity of claims in the first place. Further, actual boundaries are a fuzzy topic and the sheriff can't exactly rely on your own corner posts as being accurate. Things like this...

That's why mostly they insist they won't get involved and say it's a civil matter in court.

You have one other option: you could try to talk to the county prosecuter. If you can convince them both of the validity of your claim/boundaries (get a real survey), as well that the value of the theft is large, you might be able to convince them that it's a case worth their time to prosecute. 

If the DA agrees it's worth prosecuting such a case, they might recommend the sheriff patrol the area or respond to a call. But it'd have to be something like systematic claim jumping and theft of a high value. 

Try different carriers. Verizon used to be best for rural. Now I think ATT is better. Also, wireless cell repeaters/boosters can take 0 bars to 2 or 3 bars, especially if you get the antenna up really high.

I don't think they have gotten more than an ounce of gold at best but probably less. The spot they are digging actually surprised me. We tested several areas with heavy equipment and results were just ok. I have info that there are rich areas on that claim. There was a guy who stopped out there yrs ago when we were sampling and he took us to a depression. he claimed he got 80 ounces there 30 yrs ago but never found any more. I had another guy that said he took 60 ounces out of a bank just south ot that spot. There may be areas of good deposits and areas of nothing at all. I guess that's mining.

Also, I'd rather have the law confront a thief or thieves in the act of stealing minerals we own. If one of us approaches them they may not like it and who knows what could happen. To me this is no different than calling a cop when you see a criminal stealing items out of your back yard and saying "Not my problem, deal with it yourself." We pay fees and taxes ane legally own the gold that is being stolen. Just doesn't set right with me.

5 hours ago, GhostMiner said:

I don't know how rich it is but I know that one spot is LOL. The guy that has it leased is out there taking samples from time to time while waiting for the plan to be approved. He carries a 45. So if you are reading this and are the guy stealing gold all I can say is beware.

Why should he beware?  Will he commit murder?  He better have a good self-defense story being not in his home.  This is what cracks me up all the time about people carrying a gun thinking they’re going to shoot someone when they’re on their claim. Gimme a break, I doubt someone is going to commit murder and spend their life in jail over gold dust and if they do they better know the consequences.  Even if he doesn’t shoot but points a gun at them, the cops will come pretty quickly to that and it won’t be the claim jumpers getting in trouble.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, afreakofnature said:

Why should he beware?  Will he commit murder?  He better have a good self-defense story being not in his home.  This is what cracks me up all the time about people carrying a gun thinking they’re going to shoot someone when they’re on their claim. Gimme a break, I doubt someone is going to commit murder and spend their life in jail over gold dust and if they do they better know the consequences.  Even if he doesn’t shoot but points a gun at them, the cops will come pretty quickly to that and it won’t be the claim jumpers getting in trouble.

Low life high grading claim jumpers beware LOL. I don't think you ever heard of Slim Saunders. 

1 hour ago, GhostMiner said:

Low life high grading claim jumpers beware LOL. I don't think you ever heard of Slim Saunders. 

I’ve heard of Slim Saunders, that brings back memories! We played some of his music in band. This was one of my favorites.

But seriously, being brave is knowing when to back off and be safe.  

29 minutes ago, GotAU? said:

I’ve heard of Slim Saunders, that brings back memories! We played some of his music in band. This was one of my favorites.

But seriously, being brave is knowing when to back off and be safe.  

I am talking about the Slim Saunders in the season 2 of the journal I post on hear. 

• Like 1

Guy in northern Nevada not far from mill city camped out on old gold workings, peg leg John was sitting in jail may still be for pointing a rifle and firing off a couple warning shots one night to scare off a couple guys stealing his stuff and terrorizing him, he’s handicapped uses a crutch to help walk with one foot and a his peg, he’s old and well he was scared. They reported him and… things didn’t go his way and that not even California.

• Like 1