Public Perception Poll - White's Electronics & The MX Sport Update

For what it is worth being that I don't own a MX Sport, I was in the know as soon as it was posted here on the forum. Great source of information and I would suggest all companies use forums and social media to push out notifications and awareness to all. These days more gets done on smart phones, iPads and tablets in between meetings, work, doctor visits, kids games and practices then before. Steve thanks for the great forum and most of all the information it contains. Where else can you reach the world at your fingertips. 

I Have on of the 4 mx sports in the netherlands, my firend has also one,

most of the time i searcnh coin and jewelry. sometime,s hi trash, but not used it so far, 

I read also the white,s forum but steve came with the problem,  i thought once there is a problem i shall noticed it,

Nope, i dindt noticed it, 

Steve informed me over the thread on the forum from Paul ca.he got the updated firmware,   paul told he can put the audi to 8. after firmware, ok mine mx sport to 6, even i do not use hi trash and relic  on this moment, i callled my distrubitor and he shall contact white,s 

and see what to do, i just not can mis my mx sport, and the short time we are best friends, I hope they send me a backup or something

after the eagle sl90 eagle spectrum  xlt spectrum dfx and xlt e series, this is my 6th white,s and i love the white,s machine

it was better to hear it from my dealer, or for white,s to anounce the infected machines  with a serial number series  on thier forums or facebook, and call worldwide a callback.  that was better for the reputation, a bad name you have fast. also with some negative peeps, that dont even have a mx sport,.  i shall mis my mx  sport,  love to use it,

for punischment whites must send a mx sport baseball cap :)))

• Like 2

This poll started because of perceptions. Specifically, mine was decidedly negative. I started with a negative perception and so I mentally filtered and focused on negative issues and reports supporting my negative view. In my mind White's had a major public relations issue they needed to be aware of. I gave a person at White's considerable heat over it in various ways.

Now, I am not so sure. I think most everyone is happy that White's is addressing issue. I still am not seeing much that tells me people really are getting notified efficiently, but how people are taking that seems mixed. There is of course the perverse "but everybody else does it" defense which strange as it seems does take the edge off it all. Seriously, how much heat should White's take over this given what we see in other quarters?

I don't know, but I do know one thing. Due to my long history with White's I think I am too emotionally invested in this whole thing, putting way too much time and effort into it, and seeing a trivial thing in life in terms far outweighing its true importance. Your comments have been very helpful in making me realize this, and I seriously think at this time I need to just walk away from all of it - and go metal detecting. That was my intent when I sold my MX Sport, and I need to follow through on it.

To the folks at White's I wish the best and hope that these threads provide some helpful insights. Do yourselves and us a favor however. The next one needs to be 100% right on release or have an ability to update via the internet. Preferably both.

• Like 3

Guest Paul (Ca)

I feel White's should have done a better job from the beginning with notifying new MX Sport users and dealers of the Firmware issues, should have been a recall. Plain as day the unit has issues, wasn't a select few having problems all first batch units need the Firmware update.

At the beginning, within the hour of receiving my MX Sport. New it had issues with recovery and tone smearing. But in Prospecting and All Metal modes these issues were not in these two modes. I was one of the first if not first to share this on the forums, both the issues and my solution to using Prospecting or All Metal modes with VCO off for quick detection... Wasn't the perfect mode but it did increases recovery and eliminated tone smearing.

Was I notified, not at first but later before and after receiving my updated Firmware unit Tyler was in touch with me. He was concerned my unit arrived on time, my thoughts on the unit and to share feedback... I did and found an issue with the audio mod feature, called Tyler and left a message. He returned my call and we discussed the issue, apparently some models mine one of them with the Firmware update were sent out before they had discovered and fixed this issue with Audio Mod. Tyler asked me to send in my unit, and they will be contacting others who were sent the wrong Firmware.... My solution for those that received this wrong Firmware, operate Audio Mod at 0 instead of 1, this eliminates the tone smearing and slow recovery. Better yet, send it in for the correct filmware

Am I satisfied with how it is being handled? Yes and no, from the beginning they should have had a recall. And still need too, and recall the wrong Firmware update as well.

(Any other comments for White's?). Yes, Keep the videos professional. Tom's video with the musical tones was good, but some of the earlier videos were not. Keep it professional, many of us are pulling for you.

Paul

The release of the Minelab CTX with the seawater instability problem comes to mind. I personally didn't find anything wrong with it, just drop your sens when in the swash zone.

But people couldn't wait, detectors were sold and Minelab got a flaming.

The update through the internet came and went,... that was the last time I hooked my machine up to the net. And in the mean time people are complaining of the extra care the need to take to prevent water ingression through the internet hook-up? Go figure??

So just about everything has it's benefits and drawbacks.

When the dust has settled and I'm in need of a waterproof, mudproof, dustproof, built like a tank machine. Whites will be considered among the contenders. Why,... well that cute little French thing has the smallest buttons you can press with gloves on after you just endured a downpour.

My detecting season is far from warm and dry and any decent machine should be built accordingly!

• Like 1

Sorry so long.

This coming from a White's user for 35+ years and a White's Dealer for 10+.

I don't get on the forums much, but this was forwarded to me and I wanted to share from a dealers view.  Now realize, I am not an average dealer that does not know much about detectors.  I enjoy using, comparing and testing many brands/models.

For almost 2 months we dealers had been getting bits of info, emails, teases of the new MS Sport.  We were lead towards taking pre-orders, as the initial inventory would be short and hard to come by. We were to also get the consumers excited about the new product.  Most of the info and talk, suggested this new machine was going to be the next better than MXT and then some. As a big MXT fan who has found literally pounds of gold nuggets with it, I myself was eager to get my hands on one.  In fact, my initial order was express shipped to me so I could test one on a recent trip to MX.  Luckily the detectors arrived the day before my flight.

2 days after the MS Sport arrived at my shop (Feb. 21st), I was swinging one in the warm waters in Mexico.  Right from the 1st target signal recovered, I realized something was not right.  After spending the day using and adjusting the detector, I realized the signal response was not to my liking at all.  In fact, I was not very happy with it, but hoped maybe stateside coin hunting would be different.

When I returned back to US, I immediately called White's and told them of my issues.  The person I spoke with, said I was the 1st to have an issue and that they would get with Engineering and someone might get back to me.

No phone call from White's, no email from White's.

On March 28th, a long time MXT user and customer of mine emailed me a very informative and lengthy letter explaining his points (both good and bad) of the new detector, as he had recovered 600+ coins and many other items in the 4 weeks of winter in UT.  With his info, I then realized there was something wrong.

Then with mud on my dealer face, the customer emails me again with a link and the sending in.. if you have a unit that is bad.  Folks, it was my own customer who told me about the upgrade, not White's.

To me, Management dropped the ball because they did not tell the same dealers they pumped up to sell the new MX Sport, the bad news.  White's should have immediately contacted the dealers and let them know of the problem.

Yes I did eventually get a call from Whites, but that was after my own customer contacted them and cc'd me the dealer.

Did White's do enough to notify people of the firmware issue?

NO

If you have an MX Sport, were you notified?

Not until I told them.  I was notified by my customer there was a firmware update.

Are you satisfied with how it is being handled?

No, but as a dealer I expected more from White's who is a top metal detector manufacture in the world. At least they used to be.

Any other comments for White's?

I will say this though. In reality White's Engineering did get a fix for it in less than 40 days from release and that I feel is acceptable.

Now for the folks who were testing proto types and such.  Either they lied their asses off to get a free detector, or Engineering did not care what the field testers told them.

In my 35+ years of detecting, I have seen so many times, testers make a great report and not be honest with a new product. Seems they are more worried about keeping Mr. Engineer happy and not wanting to hurt an Engineers feelings because that new detector is his baby.

Testers,  If you don't tell the good and bad about what you are testing, then the manufactures look bad and eventually your word becomes worthless as well.

Engineers,  If you can't handle getting a report on your baby, that it walks funny and only has 3 toes, then maybe this is not the right job for you.

Management,  Find well known MXT users across the board who will give honest feedback (both good and bad) about your new upcoming detectors and listen to then.  It seems this was not the case for this MS Sport.

White's is a Metal Detecting Manufacture who's name is known worldwide for many good reasons and millions of treasures found.  The company will get back on track and will provide us enthusiasts with many more great products.  Will there be hick-ups, bad hires and bad fires?  Yes, just like at every other metal detecting manufacture.  And there will also be great Engineer hires, thorough field testers and another new young Jimmy.

I'm still on board and looking forward to more new and exciting detector technology and I know White's Electronics will be one of the brands producing it.

• Like 6

On 4/17/2016 at 9:44 AM, Paul (Ca) said:

(Any other comments for White's?). Yes, Keep the videos professional. Tom's video with the musical tones was good, but some of the earlier videos were not. Keep it professional, many of us are pulling for you.

Paul

Paul, this helps me a lot, thank you. The first videos we did were silly and we got mixed response. Some people loved them and others were offended. Since I'm the video guy (jumped in the lake) feedback like this helps me plan ahead.

We'll still do fun short videos but try and keep them separate from the informational ones in the future.

tboykin. this is about the poll

heard today about the firmware issue agian.

whites scotland didnt know there where now 3 versions 

version 1 with the snear tone, thats needs the update,

version 2 a updated machine, thats have the stuff in relic high trash mode, and then sat goes to 6. cause the display cant go to 8

but on the paper say,s that the machine has a update, 

version 3 with the new firmware and you can push the sat to 8.

thats strange, i send my detector yesterday to my distributor

peeps from netherland even read this forum, iff they send you a pm,  and didnt get a answer, thats bad, very bad,  its not good for white,s name,

and not a answer from white,s.com.  your european customers, and there are much customers,  even white,s scotland didnt now about a updated display that  the sat goes to 8. how come, also the communication failed between hq and scotland?

even im a big white,s fan and this is my 6 white,s machine.

im dissapointed,  over the story i heard today,

i was one off the 3 owners with the first model, in the netherlands, i get my just before eastern day,s

now it goes back to scotland, 

i hope they send me a good version back, with the good firmware and the updated  display that goes to 8.

but do somthing about your custumor communication.

i have filled my warranty card in the white,s website, . white,s can send me a email voor a recall, 

but no, and now waiting iff i get the good machine with firmware and display, iff its  not. im sending it back,,