What Would You Do In This Situation? Update, Ring Is Home.

I figured I would come here to get y'all's opinion on what I should do about a ring that I found. 5 weeks ago I found a large Texas A&M University class ring. I spent three days searching the internet trying to find the owner. I came across a department at A&M for lost and found class rings. I sent an email with all the pertinent information first. After 3 days I went back to the website and found a phone number. I called the phone number and talked to a lady there and gave her all the information again and she said she would do what she could to find the owner. A week later I received an email asking for some more information. It's now been 3 weeks since I had the last contact with A&M. What is a reasonable amount of time to wait before I declare the ring unclaimed? My wife says that in her opinion they weren't able to contact the owner. It's a huge 10 karat class ring. I appreciate any and all opinions, thanks.

IMG_20220706_083003137_HDR~3.jpg

IMG_20220810_075531306~2.jpg

5142 (1).jpeg

• Like 8

I had a similar situation, but with a HS class ring from back in the 60's.  I put things on pause and tried again a few years later with identical results.  Eventually it went to the refinery with other gold rings.  

• Like 1

I returned a class ring before. You can look up the classmates of that year and school and find out whos it was by the initials inside.

Class rings are 10k, scrap value less than $600 but worth way more to the person that lost it if they are still alive.

Good way of building karma :)

• Like 5

You went over, beyond, further than anyone would have ever expected and as a result you have garnered huge respect and it's well deserved and appreciated. 

Well done.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Skate said:

You went over, beyond, further than anyone would have ever expected and as a result you have garnered huge respect and it's well deserved and appreciated. 

Well done.

Thank you very much Skate!!!

• Like 2

That is a great story.  Many of our 'finds' have stories waiting to be told but we don't get the details.

I once found an MIT ring and tracked down the owner.  It had a long story with it too but in the end, I returned it to a guy who didn't even say thank you.  Yours is a much better ending.

Job well done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Outstanding work in every regard!    Military class rings are exceptionally meaningful to all of us who have them.  They mean much more than just a reminder of the education and training we went through.  

You did a magnificent thing in my view.  Your dedication and total effort means much more to the recipient than you'll ever know.

A salute to you sir!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• The title was changed to What Would You Do In This Situation? Update, Ring Is Home.