Missing Threads? What Happens To Brand Specific Threads? And Tags. What About Tags?

Steve Herschbach

The history of these forums is a little complex. Once upon a time, there was only one, this one, the DP (Detector Prospector) Forum.

The website ultimately is an information repository, and I try to organize things so people can find them. There is search. There are tags. But the main way to find things is look for the right forum. I added forums as things got busy, and so we now have brand forums, and activity forums. Coin & Relic, or Jewelry, for example.

This forum still is the most popular, and acts as a catch all. However, I do sort it out periodically. After things drift back a few pages, I delete some fluff threads (Happy Birthday, Merry Christmas, today's weather), and move other threads to other location. If I move threads in the first couple pages, I leave a link to the new location. These links expire after a short time. Older threads I simply move.

In a nutshell, if you go back a dozen or more pages, you will only find general prospecting threads in this forum. Discussion of locations, geology, etc. but all threads that are about a model or brand, do get moved to the appropriate brand forum.

This has been a long winded way to tell you that if you are looking for old Minelab threads, they are in the Minelab Forum, White’s threads in White’s Forum, Garrett threads in Garrett Forum, etc. Brand specific stuff posted to this forum are welcome, everything is good. This is just a public service announcement to explain why threads may appear to get deleted, when in fact they have simply moved.

One of the most powerful ways to find things here are the tags. Click one now just to see.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

15 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

One of the most powerful ways to find things here are the tags. Click one now just to see.

Ok, but where are they (to click)?  I do see a 'forum info' tag under the title of this thread, but I assume there is either another place on this page I can find them ("hiding in plain sight") or a pathway to a page that has them.

That’s what you click on. The tag. Hiding in plain sight. Did you try it? Each post has one, and each forum thread list has a lot. Might be less visible on phones though. I’m usually on iPad or PC so need to pay more attention to what phone users are seeing. Anyone on a phone is missing half the forum.

There is a master list under the Advanced Search heading in the forum menu, but frankly it’s out of date and I need to update it. Many missing tags, and quite a few broken ones. Another project for today.

https://www.detectorprospector.com/tag-list/

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

That’s what you click on. The tag. Hiding in plain sight. Did you try it?

Well, now I did.  But I find the link you posted to be what I was looking for.  Is there a shortcut to that?  ('Shortcut' may not be the proper term.  What I mean is: some way to go to the top of the page and start clicking until I get there.  Obviously I could put it in my browser's bookmarks.)

6 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Well, now I did.  But I find the link you posted to be what I was looking for.  Is there a shortcut to that?  ('Shortcut' may not be the proper term.  What I mean is: some way to go to the top of the page and start clicking until I get there.  Obviously I could put it in my browser's bookmarks.)

"under the Advanced Search heading in the forum menu"

For PC and iPad (large screens)

tag-list-1.jpg

• Like 1

Again, that page is out of date, I need to update it. Newer tags are missing, and some old tags have changed, and so will take you nowhere. The majority are fine however. I was busy selling detectors today, but will get on this by tomorrow latest, and get the list fully up-to-date.

By definition the tags you see on the forum listings are all valid tags. The problem with that index page is I made it by hand, and have to manually update it. And that only happens in times like this, when it is obvious I've put it off too long. :smile:

The beauty of the tags is they cut across all forums. I make sure everything gets appropriate tags. Its a lot of work to keep up at times, and so you will see me do it in bursts, but in the long run it basically creates a huge number of subforums arranged under every tag heading. Very handy once you figure it out.

zlynk was the last tag I added, and if you click it and look, you see it grabs the subject from multiple forums.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

"under the Advanced Search heading in the forum menu"

Ah, I see the menu option there now.  I tried going there but clicked on Advanced Search, not noticing that mouse-over showed a new submenu.  Thanks for your patience & persistence.

• Thanks 1

• The title was changed to Missing Threads? What Happens To Brand Specific Threads? And Tags. What About Tags?