Would You Buy An AQ Limited If You Could?

I just had a quick hunt at the Wedge (Newport Beach). When storms like Kay come through this time of year it gets huge cuts. Did again this time. The thing is that you are at risk getting slammed against the cut by strong waves and then get pulled into the ocean. The guys that get most of the good stuff chance this - even at night. Not worth the risk to me so I just go when I can and low tide. You can check several recent videos by Robert Ferguson to see such hunts. Anyway I went twice, once with my CTX, later a trip with my AQ. I found coins on both trips, no jewelry though. The AQ hunt was most recent, got there at sunset and hunted into the dark for an hour. I was finding coins but two to three stealth extreme scoops deep. Another guy was there, probably with a EQ, and I was digging targets much more than he.  I missed the good stuff but it was a pleasure using the AQ. I do wish it had a quick-change and longer duration battery but for hunts like this OBN’s small battery is fine. I haven’t changed the settings on mine for months - since I discovered the delay switch was a little loose and caused it to go wacko sometimes.

• Like 2
  • Oh my! 1

• 3 weeks later...

On 9/17/2022 at 12:56 PM, bklein said:

I just had a quick hunt at the Wedge (Newport Beach). When storms like Kay come through this time of year it gets huge cuts. Did again this time. The thing is that you are at risk getting slammed against the cut by strong waves and then get pulled into the ocean. The guys that get most of the good stuff chance this - even at night. Not worth the risk to me so I just go when I can and low tide. You can check several recent videos by Robert Ferguson to see such hunts. Anyway I went twice, once with my CTX, later a trip with my AQ. I found coins on both trips, no jewelry though. The AQ hunt was most recent, got there at sunset and hunted into the dark for an hour. I was finding coins but two to three stealth extreme scoops deep. Another guy was there, probably with a EQ, and I was digging targets much more than he.  I missed the good stuff but it was a pleasure using the AQ. I do wish it had a quick-change and longer duration battery but for hunts like this OBN’s small battery is fine. I haven’t changed the settings on mine for months - since I discovered the delay switch was a little loose and caused it to go wacko sometimes.

Is this anyone you know? Detectorist at the Wedge at 1:45 and again at 2:50.  

• 1 month later...
On 8/14/2022 at 10:47 AM, F350Platinum said:

Thanks OBN for the scoop lanyard/carry example! 👍

Carry on... 😀

good set up to break the basket out too.

cjc

• Like 1

This is a machine that's a dramatic departure from anythig else out there--closest being the TDI Pro.  I have two and plan to keep them in that they do things no other machine will.  I like the smoothness, target information and overall audio.  The optimization is also great too--it loves the high foils and so do I 😁.  This is how I try and set up any machine I use.  If you have some awareness of the concepts of "carry" and "correlation" and stay off the wide, responses, the discrimination is  helpfull.  (I would use a stronger word--but Im still learning).  You are probably better off running in All Metal, for the added depth.  This requires a bit of PI skill.  I do wish that it responded better to big 22k but running A/M does offset this a bit.  Yes there have been build issues but nothing insurmountable.  In particular the Vishay pots are problematic--maybe  the 14.4 is too hot for them in that the T/H seems to be particulary vulnerable to frying out.  I've had several replaced.  In the environment I hunt, (Equinox "troll" under every bridge, lol) this machine is exactly the edge I need.  A few years back my accuracy with the NOX gave me a big advantage, but now I need that same accuracy with even more depth and black sand capabily.  While I'm still developing my accuracy with this machine-there's no queston that the potential is there.  Here is a nice end-of-season 22k band  find from a section that has just been trampled over 8 months by other hunters--the AQ went down about 18" to bring  up a response.  This  is a machine that can go in after anything--save for the TDI--another very deep detector.  There is nothing wrong with the Limited, just needs a bit of extra carefulness around the "tailfeathers."

cjc

IMG_4961XXX - Copy.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I wonder if Alexandre can “up” the pulse width on the AQ. Better potential to capture not only 22K but bigger gold in general. I believe the AQ is running a pulse width less than 100uS. 
I think designers focus on pulse delay too much. The other part of the PI equation is the pulse width…….up around 250-300uS will help light up those bigger and higher grade gold rings.

My modded XL500 runs a pulse width of 350uS (Eric was adamant this was needed)…..and I agree completely. This was also attainable as the detector runs on 3 x 18650 Lithium cells so can still run 10 hours with the increased pulse width. 
I hope the AQ didn’t go the wrong way with the limitations of the stock battery pack (as an increased pulse width will naturally draw more juice from the battery).

Damn that AQ…..it’s a rough diamond that could easily be a polished Bobby Dazzler.

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Tony said:

I wonder if Alexandre can “up” the pulse width on the AQ. Better potential to capture not only 22K but bigger gold in general. I believe the AQ is running a pulse width less than 100uS. 
I think designers focus on pulse delay too much. The other part of the PI equation is the pulse width…….up around 250-300uS will help light up those bigger and higher grade gold rings.

My modded XL500 runs a pulse width of 350uS (Eric was adamant this was needed)…..and I agree completely. This was also attainable as the detector runs on 3 x 18650 Lithium cells so can still run 10 hours with the increased pulse width. 
I hope the AQ didn’t go the wrong way with the limitations of the stock battery pack (as an increased pulse width will naturally draw more juice from the battery).

Damn that AQ…..it’s a rough diamond that could easily be a polished Bobby Dazzler.

At the same time, the AQ seems okay on big 18k, but it's the Indian people who have the extreme high dollar stuff.  There is just too much SS, Tungsten and Titanium around too--worn by those who would have had normal gold.

That look like a great mod.  I have a modded board of Bill Lahr's that runs 12 uSc--basically a PI Pro with DF coil--killer on all gold and very smooth.--also a prize project.  

cjc