1918 Merc

Nice job finding that mercury dime.  I always love finding those and find the design of them to be just beautiful.  

Your digger its doing great in that hard ground.  Nice design on those.  :biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nice condition too.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, JCR said:

Nice condition too.

I agree.  kac, aren't you going to tell us what detector you were using?  And how deep it was?

Funny how the out-of-focus date looks like 18/17.  😁  (Both nickel and quarter of that year had this overdate.)  AFAIK that overdate has never been reported for the dime.  That would make your ~$5 find with about 10,000 times as much, not to mention the fame that would go along with that fortune.

• Like 3
  • Oh my! 1

Good hunt. The merc came out in great condition.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

I agree.  kac, aren't you going to tell us what detector you were using?  And how deep it was?

Funny how the out-of-focus date looks like 18/17.  😁  (Both nickel and quarter of that year had this overdate.)  AFAIK that overdate has never been reported for the dime.  That would make your ~$5 find with about 10,000 times as much, not to mention the fame that would go along with that fortune.

Multi Kruzer with 5 x 9 1/2 dd, 3 tone mode, iSat 1, Gain 89, 14khz. Ground is incredibly noisy from all the coke below, coin was maybe 6" down just in the coke. Next time out I'll take the Tejon with 8x9 concentric so I can not get blasted with all the target spikes the coke does. Number on the MK would spike from foil to mid 90's. Ground is horrible. Ground phase was in the 30-mid 40's in many of the dumping grounds. Rich black dirt near the tree lines and on slopes where coke wasn't dumped the ground phase was in 60-70's. Usually higher when the ground is wet but its bone dry here.

Last tiny detail I swung the coil from left to right then back..... not sure if it made any difference 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Even if just one, a silver coin is a hunt. 👍

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kac said:

Was out for less than an hour,...

Given the condition of the dime, it might have only been in circulation about that long, too.  They can't be found much nicer than this, with the exception of a stronger strike (but this one is pretty strong).

• Like 3