First Outing With The Coiltek 10x5" And 14x19" On The GPX 6000

phrunt

Very encouraging write up with regards to the EMI and improvement with Coilteks, thanks.

I'll be curious to see what the repair shop says about the 11". Mine does basically exactly what yours does, except only in certain locations, but mine also purrs along just fine in other locations. Please update with results when you get it back...

• Like 1

I forgot my junk photo, what's a gold post without the junk 🙂

junk.jpg.efa24d267ed18af85d4cdacb0397e5f3.jpg

Smallest non magnetic (likely lead) pellets were .11 of a gram, pellet guru's will be able to translate that to pellet size.   I do find #9 lead pellets in this area with the VLF's, but not the 6000, it's simply not capable of hitting one.

These weren't from the well hammered area where gold had been found before, these were mostly with the 14x9" wandering around exploring deeper ground in hope of something good.

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, jasong said:

Very encouraging write up with regards to the EMI and improvement with Coilteks, thanks.

I'll be curious to see what the repair shop says about the 11". Mine does basically exactly what yours does, except only in certain locations, but mine also purrs along just fine in other locations. Please update with results when you get it back...

Jason, any theories why your coil does that? Geology, weird EMI at different locations, even elevation changes (Mentioned by Coiltek hence their pressure relief valve)?

My cousin in France used to live in an upstairs apartment in Paris.  Her TV had lines go across the screen and the radio had screeching noise every 10 seconds or so. I had to laugh and make jokes about it (silently in horror about it) when we stayed with her.  It was later when she realized it was due to Orly Airport’s radar which was some distance away.  Is there a chance that your bad sites have something like that going on like military radar or telecom?

If you are mapping out the sites you are visiting with EMI, are there any patterns to it?

35 minutes ago, GotAU? said:

Jason, any theories why your coil does that? Geology, weird EMI at different locations, even elevation changes (Mentioned by Coiltek hence their pressure relief valve)?

Not sure. Only explanation I've heard that makes any sense is coil shielding.

But my 6000 acts about like the other 6000s do, in the same areas. So if its coil shielding, that either means quite a lot of other coils are bad too, or it's some design problem inherent to all the coils or the 6000 itself. 

I'm over it though, I'm switching to the Axiom when i can get one in hand. Wasted too much $ on gas and time already to waste more. I do need to sell my 6000 though to fund the Axiom, so if Simon's coil is bad then as a responsible seller I'm going to have to send my 11" coil in to be checked also before I sell it. I want to sell it as a working unit, not one with potential problems. So that's why I'm curious how his turns out. Mine works just fine, except some areas it just won't. And these are remote areas, not close to infrastructure so I don't even have a good guess what is causing the problem. Buried nuclear missile silos?? No clue.

I have suggested almost from the start there is some issue with the 6000 getting overwhelmed with too much sensory input and losing stability. I still suspect something like that, because I can make it loose stability by running over lots of hot variable ground when it sounds like it's verging on unstable from the EMI already, but not quite there yet. Also can force it to go unstable sometimes by turning my phone on, and even turning it back off again, the 6000 will stay unstable. That suggests a problem with the programming or hardware to me. But again, this isn't unique to my 6000 either. 

• Like 3

Hmm actually, hey Simon? What phone do you have? 

I keep mine off when detecting, but after realizing the Garrett pointer interferes with my GPZ even when off I'm wondering if certain phones might interfere with the 6000 when off?

I had an S20 down south this winter when I didn't have as many problems. I broke it and got an S22 a few weeks before coming back north where the problems got bad.

That's the only thing on my person that changed. 6000 went unstable even when I kept my phone at the ATV though too I'm pretty sure, but now I can't swear to it, so figured I'd cross one final potential problem off the list if I can. If you have an S22, I'll have to wonder.

I have my phone on the entire time in these Coiltek videos with wifi and bluetooth enabled, its filming the videos, it's not my phone causing my stock coil problems as I'd tried with my bad coil leaving my phone in my car and it made no difference to its performance, it was just as crazy.  It's an Iphone.

I'd ruled out phone early on as its an obvious cause of interference.

As for my long running joke about the 6000 coils being made out of recycled Ice Cream containers.... pretty funny really.

Some common NZ Ice Cream brands containers

IMG_0134.jpg.deb3758f98a76ad36ae8a3219531b743.jpg

The back of the container with the plastic indicator

IMG_0135.jpg.dee380a43e3c0dd8a595ea6956136190.jpg

Another one

IMG_0136.jpg.4e1d457e45222c797e621c955705c5bf.jpg

and the back with the plastic indicator, harder to see this one in the photo, but again PP5.

IMG_0138.thumb.jpg.594df54d70d458843ddea43d25abe818.jpg

And another one

IMG_0140.jpg.150973b014e817c8df4028b0372f7795.jpg

and the back 🙂

IMG_0141.jpg.a42bccae0c2f217b68ec574295bbae56.jpg

And the Minelab GPX 6000 skid plate which has the plastic details on it

IMG_0143.jpg.0d709d7d14746d89f4976860095ab150.jpg

and the bottom of the skid plate, the other interesting thing is the date code on the 11" skid plates for the 6000, maybe they used the same skids for the earlier GP/GPX skid plates.

IMG_0144.jpg.033593f9fb5b1ceb220a4d5f14d825ad.jpg

It's right there, PP5 🙂  I can't check my coil for the details as it's off in the post, I would check my 14" DD but its buried in a box in the garage I'm meant to be cleaning.

PP5.jpg.0a525d3381c1fcad24e58ebc981b794f.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Simon the size of your coil 10" by 5" is the largest coil I would use chasing your NZ bits. NB: I did not say nuggets mate 🤣 as some of those shotgun pellets are larger. Good write up and to me I would say you will get a replacement 11" coil from ML.

• Like 2

Nothing much new here Phrunt, ML dont make very good coils, been that way with a few exceptions since year one, would they protect their coils with chips if that was not so? But I`m dirty coz I have neither the ordered 10x5 Coiltek coil nor the NF Sadie for the 6K.😡

• Like 3