First Outing With The Coiltek 10x5" And 14x19" On The GPX 6000

phrunt

I see some great results from this little coil, I fully expected to find a piece here and there and I’m not sure why then I didn’t? It may have been the thunderstorms, limited detecting time due to the heat, the fact most of these (all) the spots I was on have had just about every detector and coil over them countless time by detectors for the last 50 years including by me with the 7000’s 14” and nugget finder 12” and then the 6000 with its assortment of minelab coils? My 11” coil is one of the good ones on a good day with clear skies it runs reasonably smooth enough I can pick target signals from the steady chatter the two videos are typical of how my 11” coil sounds off on fair weather days it was more susceptible to the EMI during the thunder than the 10x5 and most of my spots hunted the smaller 10x5 was not really an advantage the 11” mono or 12” nugget finder can get into just as easily. I’m curious in the two short clips I posted for those running the 10x5 is the stability in threshold similar to what others experienced?   

Your coil sounds OK to me 1515Art, you're getting a bit of annoying EMI with it but other than that it sounds good.  I'm not sure about your disappearing targets as I don't hunt in difficult ground.

Its a pretty tough call for the GPX with 10x5" to find gold in an area done over with a bunch of detectors including the GPZ and 6000 with stock coils by various people though, yes it may find the odd bit that was missed for whatever reason but I wouldn't expect the ground to light up with new targets missed because of the other equipment.  Did the Coiltek's find gold at the spot JW and I went to the other day because the other detectors or coils missed it? Highly unlikely, one target that was missed in the mostly heavily done bit of bedrock that turned into gold I cant really explain but unless I had a GPX with 11' coil there to go over it I'm not confident to say it was missed by the 11" and found by the 10x5".  A working 11" coil is an exceptional coil for small gold sensitivity, it's the stability problems I didn't like and even people with 11" coils they consider good are finding the aftermarket coils are more stable.

I think the more common thing to hear out of Coiltek users will be this line by Alaska Detector, "Besides the gold I was surprised at how quiet the detector now was, and I could even detect up the bedrock walls with out the detector freaking out. What a great experience. "

And from what I've seen the NF test coils floating around in Australia are giving the same results with more stability and a detector that doesn't go nutty near as often as the standard coil.

• Like 2

Thanks Simon, I’m not sure any coil I’d have had or detector would have faired well out in Arizona this last trip the storm conditions were as bad as it could get my Friday cut short as thunder and lightning overhead made me beat a hasty retreat back to my Jeep lest my pick would turn me into a lightning rod. It was the time to head out anyway as I passed a small flood of water building quickly in the culvert in my direction had the makings to shut down the main paved route out.

• Like 3
  • Oh my! 1

I tried my 10 x 5 last Friday and was cut short by weather also. The things I noticed were, the signal created by axis rotation was greatly reduced. It seemed to be more sensitive to very small hot rocks but the signal disappeared after the first pass which was confusing at first. The coil seems stable but my 11 is also so nothing different there. It will be useful for working tight areas.

• Like 2

@RONS DETECTORS MINELAB 10mil pipe tape idea-brilliant! 

FC5137CE-1261-4272-AAA7-C1A5E38CD1E6.thumb.jpeg.7ee00eec27810d615d76a2d3fe92e02d.jpeg6746F6C1-B4D6-44AC-B1DC-0E070F12924B.thumb.jpeg.3aed301e7dfa43bd8f17c16081bb21cd.jpeg

After 1 day detecting in 90-100 degree heat in the full sun. No melting tape and still good.  Thanks Ron!

• Like 1

I took the 10x5 out again and aside from finding more gold, I found a treasure I consider even better.

I was detecting in the middle of nowhere up a hillside, and checked under a boulder that I wouldn’t have been able to reach with the stock coils, and pulled out this beauty. Given it’s age and where it’s at it certainly dates to the local gold rush. I have no intention in selling it so I cleaned it up, and I think it turned out great.

C02E3DA1-F1BC-4B31-90FC-C2CADC7EEAC4.jpeg

37323FFF-1DC7-41CA-956D-7AD05C00711B.jpeg

B2508F2F-AC3F-4563-A07E-FF2E1C1B02CC.jpeg

96573A07-0DBF-4FBE-ABBF-D98891C8DFFB.jpeg

• Like 7

Nice, those tangential finds are sometimes the most rewarding. Another nugget is...just another nugget sometimes. Pretty cool.

• Like 1

I’d think that that was a bit of money to lose back then, nice find!