Corroding Antenna Wire On Deus 2..

8 hours ago, Erik Oostra said:

Sorry Chase and Steve, I didn't mean to offend you by my response to your suggestions of chasing yet an other warranty claim for the Deus 2.. I tend to have a short fuse when it comes to this detector.. I was being sarcastic about court and the responsibility heaved upon me.. They were the bits with a smiley face at the end..  What got to me was Chase's vague suggestion that I was some gutless wonder if I rolled over to XP's lawyerly warranty language..

Erik, you didn't offend me...and I meant no (nor intentionally vaguely suggested any) offense to you.  I just made a suggestion that you pursue it with XP rather than drop it because I think you have a legit case despite warranty mumbo jumbo and tried to explain why letting XP off the hook could have implications for others.  Look I know you are probably fed up with dealing with all the D2 issues you have had to deal with so far with wonky bone phones etc., so I get you are not keen on dealing with another one.  It's your call, just made the suggestion.  You did the D2 users here a favor by simply pointing out the issue in the first place, you owe no one anything.  You giving the D2 a thrashing is just what we need to shake out whether this is truly the Dive detector for the long haul XP says it is.  So keep it up and make those reports.  We'll see what comes of those emails, so thanks for doing that and it will be interesting to see how XP responds.

I have my personal doubts about D2's long term reliability when being continuously exposed to submerged salt water conditions based on what has been reported by Erik and others - but even the purpose-designed and built submersible Minelab Excal II corrodes away in regular salt water usage despite judiscious fresh water rinses after dunkings.  Something I'm sure you do after every dive, Erik.  But even that is not going to get salt water out of every nook and cranny where rinse water can't flow freely, such as the antenna wire sheath. 

I agree with others, also, and have said this going back to D1, all the antenna claptrap needed to make a completely wireless system work is a PITA.  There are other alternatives out there, so people have to decide if the underwater performance of D2 is worth the downside of this other stuff.  I basically only go into the wash at the beach so I am not diving with mine.  Given the light weight and D2 performance stability vs. Equinox under those conditions, I can live with the antenna and although I don't exclusively beach/water hunt, am just considering keeping it attached full time so as not to be caught without the ability to submerge the coil if the situation arises.

As a human I have flaws and blind spots so feel free to PM me in private, Erik (or anyone else) if you have concerns.  I personally am good, and have no hidden agendas, but if you're not, hopefully, they can be resolved there rather than subjecting forum members to unnecesary drama.  Something Steve and I try to minimize as we have seen how it destroys other forums. 

But we also understand that a discussion forum by its very nature is a place where diverse opinions can be shared and discussed because that's one of the best ways people can learn and grow in this hobby.  And sometimes it gets heated.  So if anyone feels personally maligned or attacked, reach out to either one of us or both and we can try to help put the issue to bed.  Most of the time it's just miscommunication or people reading between the lines when there's nothing there to actually read.  Emoticons can only do so much to make written discourse simulate verbal debate, so assume the best rather than the worst in people if there is room to interpret the "true meaning" of a post.  And if all else fails, you can always use the "ignore" feature.  :smile:

• Thanks 1

I’m fairly sure you can receive a replacement. I was told the statement about green corrosion due to water egress was left in the manual for the WS6 module which is not waterproof. Call your dealer.

Here's the replies from Detect-Ed and XP Australia.. No real response to my question if the antenna wire was covered under XP warranty.. Although Ed from Detect-Ed did confirm my original solution..    

Detect-Ed - Reply.jpg

XP Australia - Reply.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If it's just verdigris discoloration and/or even minor corrosion but the wire stays intact without any breaks, then it should be a non issue as they say. If it does break, you have a backup plan with a home brew replacement.  If it were me, and it does break, I would pursue the warranty replacement as well.  Hopefully, it just turns green and still works so you can use it on St. Patty's day. Thanks for posting the responses, Erik.

• Like 1