Let’s Bombard Minelab With Suggestions For GPX 6000 Update

and I have my first gold at about 1 gram like 1.5 foot deep.
Sorry but a one grammer at 18” is never going to happen……ever. Not even the mighty 7000 will do this.

I don’t want to sound confrontational but I have to call this out as it sets false hope for newcomers or people wondering why their unit only gets a one grammer at 8”.

As you say “Don’t get caught up in the hype”.

• Like 1

Revamp on the shafts is all id ask for.

Since the 6's came out we are way past the 100oz mark with them,they can be temperamental, they love hot rocks but in fresh country that can be ya only indicator in spots,our 7's in semi retirement,they've both been dropped on occasions,left on the quad at camp at the end of each day and generally used and abused and shock horror where still on original skid plates atm. 

So minelab improve the shafts but leave the rest alone,brilliant detectors to swing all day and prove ground up,there a bit of a game changer in WA we've found....

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jasong said:

If an aftermarket coil fixes the stability problems then at the very least Minelab should be responsible for covering the cost of the coil required to fix their own problem.

I'm not sure the aftermarket coil is the trick?  I do know from swinging PI gold detectors for 25 years that in the areas I did have EMI, the smaller coils did in fact run smoother.  It will be interesting to see if anything comes to change on the 6.

7 hours ago, Tony said:

and I have my first gold at about 1 gram like 1.5 foot deep.
Sorry but a one grammer at 18” is never going to happen……ever. Not even the mighty 7000 will do this.

I don’t want to sound confrontational but I have to call this out as it sets false hope for newcomers or people wondering why their unit only gets a one grammer at 8”.

As you say “Don’t get caught up in the hype”.

Well I'm going to tell you 100%, you're absolutely wrong. My first gold that I ever found in my whole life was with my gpz 7000 at nearly two feet and it made a screaming sound as I got closer to it. And here's a picture and it's the only gold that I ever found. So flat out wrong about that Jack. Maybe you just need to learn how to use it to understand it's power.

20220813_070249.jpg

7 hours ago, goldchaser said:

Revamp on the shafts is all id ask for.

Since the 6's came out we are way past the 100oz mark with them,they can be temperamental, they love hot rocks but in fresh country that can be ya only indicator in spots,our 7's in semi retirement,they've both been dropped on occasions,left on the quad at camp at the end of each day and generally used and abused and shock horror where still on original skid plates atm. 

So minelab improve the shafts but leave the rest alone,brilliant detectors to swing all day and prove ground up,there a bit of a game changer in WA we've found...

I have no doubt that the GPX 6000 is killing it in many areas of Australia. There is plenty of YouTube proof of that from well respected prospectors. It is doing well in some areas of the USA too.

I just did not experience that at all. Most of the places I tried to detect with it, the lightweight 11" mono coil was totally unusable and all the great ergonomics and balance of the GPX 6000 were negated by having to use the 14" DD along with loss of sensitivity on the specie and smaller gold that I was after and which the 11" Mono was designed for.   

Just for information, I actually owned two GPX 6000s and the first one had the exact same type of performance problems using the 11” coil in the same places…..

I had seller’s remorse, thinking maybe it was me and not the detector so I bought a second one used…….Nope!

• Sad 2

15 hours ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

Minelab is a very stubborn company and in times past it didn't matter.  You want top performance, you pay for it and be happy we provide it to those who sell their 2nd truck.

It's the classic actions of a (pseudo-) monopoly: 

What price do we charge?  Whatever we want. 

What answers do we give to their questions?  Silence is easier and they'll still buy. 

Have a recall or blanket replacement?  Whichever gives us the most profit (obviously neither of these, just replace the few that get sent in under warranty,... with the same device).

15 hours ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

Realize, Minelab now has to answer to share holders,...

And they realize it, especially now.  They have possibly the best selling IB/VLF of all time with no real competition,... until the last several months, that is.  They've cornered the PI market and have held a stranglehold there for a couple decades,... until maybe this has-been company threatens.  (Stay tuned.)

When the Garrett Apex came out, Minelab seemed to feel a bit of threat and made a trite video attacking it.  But that Apex turned out to be no challenge for the Equinox and at most a mild one for their Vanquish.  They so far seem to have been silent to the releases of the XP Deus 2 and Nokta/Makro Legend, AFAIK.  Now Garrett Axiom is rumbling just under the horizon.

But isn't there an annual Codan stockholders' meeting in a few days?  I wonder how much sleep the company big wigs have gotten in the past couple weeks....  Freak, the questions of a few shareholders might be more of a ringing in their ears than a bunch of 'letters' from disgruntled owners of their hot-selling(?) GPX6000.

On 8/12/2022 at 10:45 AM, bklein said:

They should take input and act on it. It can’t have a gold mode like the EQ??  If you intend to sell a detector for years - support it and keep the buzz going in the forums.

They can continue to sell it wothout having to invest in updating it, because it still sells as it does one thing better than most (or despite the fact it only does one thing well - depending on your point of view) - i.e., it reliably, accurately ID's high conductors at depth in mild soil. An expensive one trick pony that still brings in revenue to ML.  Their cash cow being the Equinox and their various gold machines.

But count me in as one of those folks who would like to see a CTX update built around the Multi-IQ platform.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

When Minelab gives us a update you and Minelab both profit nothing from it . I believe Minelab has come up with improvements that could make a 6000 better than what it is now but why should they .

Chuck, You're looking at it from the perspective of updating sold machines. Some people are holding off buying the rigs until these known issues are addressed.  Now ML might lose those potential buyers to Axiom.  So, it DOES make business sense for ML to keep the 6000 updated and it CAN impact their bottom line.  So there's your answer to your question "why should they[?]"

At this stage they won't care about the Axiom, it's priced almost the same as the 6000 in the Australian market so it's no threat at all there,  It was always going to be a tough nut to crack in Australia but pricing it so close to the same is certainly no way to do it,  they may get a dip in sales in the US market but I doubt it will change their life at all anywhere else in the world and sales will continue to grow as they forecast. 

It may get a mention that it exists at their meetings but that's about it.   For their next model detector I'm sure because of Garrett they'll put more effort into build quality though, that's one of the benefits of competition, they'll look at everything the competition did better and try and improve on it and even if they just look at photos they'll see the Garrett appears better build quality.  They had a shaft engineer that understood how to design a shaft that won't twist for a start.  Minelab perhaps had staffing issues due to Covid and used the delivery driver in their lunch break to design their shaft.

If they're not going to do any firmware updates, which I genuinely think there must be something they can fix on the thing with firmware at least release a smaller DD coil, their current one seems good and surprising how sensitive it is, never heard of anyone having a faulty one although so few people probably use them much that they wouldn't even know it I guess.  Coiltek hinted they may make one, I hope so.   I see Minelab coils as reference coils, they give the blueprints then the aftermarket come along and build them properly.

Doing a firmware update for the 6000 would reassure customers that Minelab care a little about them, and don't just see them as wallets.  I thought they did quite well with the Equinox, updates came out, even updates that added new features, it was like the wind changed directions, albeit for a short time.

• Like 2