Let’s Bombard Minelab With Suggestions For GPX 6000 Update

Thing that confuses me is that Garrett coulda been capturing some market share now over here right now, the 6000 has problems. I'm pretty surprised we can't even get an ETA on the Axiom shipping. Been almost 3 weeks since announcement. 

It's cheaper here, and it looks to run a lot quieter. They could take some ML customers away while the 6000 is ailing over here with issues.

I was chomping at the bit to get a working Axiom in my hands and ditch the 6000 finally. But, I had to finally go buy a Coiltek though, so I can keep working this season. And its like - ok, now I just spent another $400 on the 6000, and if it'll actually work now, then do I even have as much reason to buy an Axiom? I guess it depends how much the aftermarket coil helps.

Scratching my head why we couldn't have even gotten an ETA on shipment. Can't sit and wait forever when there is work to get done now and the clock is ticking before snow ends the season. Now it looks like I'll probably stick with big blue if this coil fixes things, seems pointless to sell a working detector, take a $1900 loss, just to get one that is more or less equivalent.

• Like 3

I'm glad there is some competition when it comes to pulse detector.  but I really don't think it will shake a company like Minelab even if its new detector has so many problems.  An easy solution that I would see to take away that niche from Garrett is to put a 5000 in the 6000 package, call it 5000+ and put a price of 3000 dollars.  problem solved.  Minelab has the resources to do that

Problem is in Arizona there isn't as much exploration to do, it's more patch cleaning. 

I use the GPZ far more than the 6000 in Arizona unless I'm trying to quickly cover lots of ground. So I'd also use the GPZ more than Axiom based on the reports I've read regarding performance. 

The strengths of the Axiom and 6000 aren't in places like Gold Basin. Quartzsite, or any old common goldfields if you ask me, it's in a light, quick detector to explore new places efficiently. That's also the future of gold detecting in the US IMO too, and I'm one of the people that is going to demonstrate that.

• Like 4

I guess you're setting a good example for me Jason, it's what I should be using my 6000 for, exploration, covering ground and exploring then bring in the big guns with the 7000 to find the gold once the first ones been uncovered with the 6000.   I've been a bit lost why I'd use the 6000 over my 7000 and your example there is where it would be very beneficial.  I need to get out there in the hills just roaming hoping to find something with it, some new ground.

• Like 6

Well, there is a time for super slow. And a time for fast and ground coverage.

To learn and start, everyone should go slow in known patches I think. To develop pattern recognition. But as you learn where nuggets are, and where they aren't, you develop more pattern recognition and can speed up to bypass the chaff and concentrate on harvesting the good wheat. And in the end it pays better to spend time finding new patches than trying everything in the book to squeeze another drop of juice from a dry lemon in old patches. Most old goldfields are dry lemons these days.

1 single virgin patch produces more than a lot of people have found detecting in a decade in old beat up patches sometimes. It's a matter of maximizing yield, which is factoring in both production and time spent to make that production.

These new lightweight detectors like the 6000 and Axiom seem custom built for just this kind of exploration to me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Thanks, I was a bit lost as to why I got the 14x9" too now I have a use for it along with the 6000, exciting 🙂 Bring on summer.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Tony said:

and I have my first gold at about 1 gram like 1.5 foot deep.
Sorry but a one grammer at 18” is never going to happen……ever. Not even the mighty 7000 will do this.

I don’t want to sound confrontational but I have to call this out as it sets false hope for newcomers or people wondering why their unit only gets a one grammer at 8”.

As you say “Don’t get caught up in the hype”.

Hey earlier I want trying to offend you. Please see my other post. Not offense intended.

2 hours ago, phrunt said:

At this stage they won't care about the Axiom, it's priced almost the same as the 6000 in the Australian market so it's no threat at all there

By "they" are you referring to ML or Australian gold detectorists?  If ML, are you saying that ML doesn't care about Axiom competition in the US or other international markets outside of Australia?  If talking about Australian detectorists, then I get it.  Just worded a little ambiguously.

The Aussie detector users

• Thanks 1

Does anybody in this thread ever think that fisher is going to make something to compete ever again?