Let’s Bombard Minelab With Suggestions For GPX 6000 Update

5 hours ago, Robert Eaton Jr said:

Hey earlier I want trying to offend you. Please see my other post. Not offense intended.

Hey I’m an Aussie…….almost impossible to offend 👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, Robert Eaton Jr said:

Hey earlier I want trying to offend you. Please see my other post. Not offense intended.

Just a thought, try re-burying the nugget at the depth you quoted and see if the GPZ will detect it. If it does, it will be astounding. Some smaller nuggets just seem to 'gobble up' eddy currents and act like a nugget 3x their actual size. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, phrunt said:

They had a shaft engineer that understood how to design a shaft that won't twist for a start.  Minelab perhaps had staffing issues due to Covid and used the delivery driver in their lunch break to design their shaft.

I think you've definitively solved this issue Simon :biggrin:   Now we know what REALLY happened....

• Haha 2

I know I thought it was going to be bigger...I am sad enough to be selling my GPZ... If I be have to share burying gold and digging it up again I might not ever sell it... Is hard enough to let it go ...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

20 hours ago, jasong said:

And in the end it pays better to spend time finding new patches than trying everything in the book to squeeze another drop of juice from a dry lemon in old patches. Most old goldfields are dry lemons these days.

I could not agree more. There is little like the excitement of a patch no one else has found, and the overall weight more than makes up for the days where the gold wasn't where you thought.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, jasong said:

Well, there is a time for super slow. And a time for fast and ground coverage.

To learn and start, everyone should go slow in known patches I think. To develop pattern recognition. But as you learn where nuggets are, and where they aren't, you develop more pattern recognition and can speed up to bypass the chaff and concentrate on harvesting the good wheat. And in the end it pays better to spend time finding new patches than trying everything in the book to squeeze another drop of juice from a dry lemon in old patches. Most old goldfields are dry lemons these days.

1 single virgin patch produces more than a lot of people have found detecting in a decade in old beat up patches sometimes. It's a matter of maximizing yield, which is factoring in both production and time spent to make that production.

These new lightweight detectors like the 6000 and Axiom seem custom built for just this kind of exploration to me.

My sediments exactly. Best post on this topic! Patch hunt with a lighter capable detector. Then if you find a spot worth scratching around a bit, then bring in the GPZ. I've been hitting the same spots for too long. Even the deer and bears are sick of seeing me there! 🤣 

The hot weather is subsiding a bit. Time for a change of scenery.  Doing the same thing over and over & expecting different results is done with my detecting for this season. If I'm going to get skunked for the day, it will be looking for that new patch. 

• Like 7

21 hours ago, jasong said:

Well, there is a time for super slow. And a time for fast and ground coverage.

To learn and start, everyone should go slow in known patches I think. To develop pattern recognition. But as you learn where nuggets are, and where they aren't, you develop more pattern recognition and can speed up to bypass the chaff and concentrate on harvesting the good wheat. And in the end it pays better to spend time finding new patches than trying everything in the book to squeeze another drop of juice from a dry lemon in old patches. Most old goldfields are dry lemons these days.

1 single virgin patch produces more than a lot of people have found detecting in a decade in old beat up patches sometimes. It's a matter of maximizing yield, which is factoring in both production and time spent to make that production.

These new lightweight detectors like the 6000 and Axiom seem custom built for just this kind of exploration to me.

Which Coiltek size did you get, Jason?  I bought the 10x5 and finally got to use it properly on steep rocky terrain yesterday while walking a contour line along the side of a steep canyon.  It worked well with the 6000 and I am really glad I didn’t sell the detector.  I’m not a full-timer by any means though, people who are like you need to decide what works best by trying things out for themselves.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, GotAU? said:

Which Coiltek size did you get, Jason?  I bought the 10x5 and finally got to use it properly on steep rocky terrain yesterday while walking a contour line along the side of a steep canyon.  It worked well with the 6000 and I am really glad I didn’t sell the detector.  I’m not a full-timer by any means though, people who are like you need to decide what works best by trying things out for themselves.

Good to hear another positive report! I have high hopes it gets me running again in the spots I had to abandon due to stability. 

I went with the 9" round, figure if it's actually a shielding issue on the stock coil that there is no need to go much smaller than stock to reduce EMI. The stock 11" size-wise was about ideal for my uses, just slightly too large for brushy areas. So the 9" round seemed like the best choice for me - weighs the same, just slightly smaller. I also don't want to overly sensitize the 6000 with too small of a coil since 0.03 grams is already smaller than I need to chase. 😁

Hopefully receive it mid-next week, won't have it for my upcoming trip yet though unfortunately as I'll be in field when it arrives. I'll have another field trip shortly after that though to give it a spin. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jasong said:

I also don't want to overly sensitize the 6000 with too small of a coil since 0.03 grams is already smaller than I need to chase. 

Oh god, the birdshot with that 10x5! I am sore from it- dug everything on that hike yesterday and it was all birdshot!  So yes, the 10x5’is a very sensitive coil, stable also.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, jasong said:

Hopefully receive it mid-next week, won't have it for my upcoming trip yet though unfortunately as I'll be in field when it arrives. I'll have another field trip shortly after that though to give it a spin. 

I hope it fixes up your issues Jason and your problems are coil and not detector related or just how it is going to be in your environment, as you've likely seen I went from thinking the 6000 was pretty much useless to now thinking it's a decent detector all by changing coils.  If only Minelab sold me a decent quality detector to begin with I wouldn't have had to go through all of that and they wouldn't have had me saying how rubbish their detector is for the past couple of months.  It's a bit of a rinse and repeat situation though as there are many other people out there in the same position I was in, I see it all the time with them complaining how unstable their detector is. 

I went from blaming myself for being so fussy about how stable a detector runs after hearing everyone say yes its unstable but its an awesome detector to being so sick of it I blamed the detector and went against the grain of the others who liked it and finally once the aftermarket coils were released I was able to validate that it was indeed a problem with my detector, being a terrible coil.

I've got my fingers crossed for you, as if you get the same results I have you'll be happy enough with the 6000 to keep it.

My mission now is to try resolve the shaft twist as it really gets annoying as in our rocky rough bushy ground it happens a lot more than someone in nice flat open areas, just in the afternoon with my 14x9" on it happened at least 15 times, JW used sand paper on his shaft and his is now gripping much better but we both wonder how good and permanent of a solution that is. 

• Like 2