Let’s Bombard Minelab With Suggestions For GPX 6000 Update

6 minutes ago, phrunt said:

I hope it fixes up your issues Jason and your problems are coil and not detector related or just how it is going to be in your environment, as you've likely seen I went from thinking the 6000 was pretty much useless to now thinking it's a decent detector all by changing coils.  If only Minelab sold me a decent quality detector to begin with I wouldn't have had to go through all of that and they wouldn't have had me saying how rubbish their detector is for the past couple of months.  It's a bit of a rinse and repeat situation though as there are many other people out there in the same position I was in, I see it all the time with them complaining how unstable their detector is. 

I went from blaming myself for being so fussy about how stable a detector runs after hearing everyone say yes its unstable but its an awesome detector to being so sick of it I blamed the detector and went against the grain of the others who liked it and finally once the aftermarket coils were released I was able to validate that it was indeed a problem with my detector, being a terrible coil.

I've got my fingers crossed for you, as if you get the same results I have you'll be happy enough with the 6000 to keep it.

My mission now is to try resolve the shaft twist as it really gets annoying as in our rocky rough bushy ground it happens a lot more than someone in nice flat open areas, just in the afternoon with my 14x9" on it happened at least 15 times, JW used sand paper on his shaft and his is now gripping much better but we both wonder how good and permanent of a solution that is. 

I wonder if one of those Brit-made carbon graphite Nox shafts would work on it- It has a rib built into the shape so it can’t spin.

Trying to find the model to link here…

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, GotAU? said:

I wonder if one of those Brit-made carbon graphite Nox shafts would work on it- It has a rib built into the shape so it can’t spin.

Trying to find the model to link here…

I found it- Tele-Nox MK11 https://www.detecting-innovations.co.uk/TeleKnox_3_piece_Mk11_shaft_in_seven_colours/p6292256_20668764.aspx

Let me try swapping mine out first as I have one, will test it out. It’s a great rod for the Nox, 3-piece and it compacts really short, and a pain in the butt to fit the detector in a bag with a large coil though as it doesn’t rotate at all.

• Thanks 2

It's a great detector - when it works. The stability definitely varies highly by location though, so there will probably always be those who claim it runs perfect, and those who can't understand how anyone can possible detect with it at all.

Gotta say though, while I'll be glad to have a working machine, this whole experience has left a pretty sour taste in my mouth regarding Minelab and their complete lack of resolution or communication on the issue, so eventually I'll probably get an Axiom anyways when time isn't of the essence like it is right now. Just because I don't really think Minelab deserves any kind of public support for selling what appears to be a defective product and leaving some customer's out to dry to fix the company's mistake.

A lot of people here are retired or have extra money, can shrug things like that off. I'm not one of them. I expect $6k detectors to work if I drop a chunk of change like that on one. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, GotAU? said:

I found it- Tele-Nox MK11 https://www.detecting-innovations.co.uk/TeleKnox_3_piece_Mk11_shaft_in_seven_colours/p6292256_20668764.aspx

Let me try swapping mine out first as I have one, will test it out. It’s a great rod for the Nox, 3-piece and it compacts really short, and a pain in the butt to fit the detector in a bag with a large coil though as it doesn’t rotate at all.

Both rods are 22mm OD on the control end, I’m sure it will work. The Tele-Nox rod is well built and the adjustable cam locks hold each section tightly. The rod shape is basically round with a closed channel running through the length of them. This makes them ridged and they cannot spin when nested together.

The only thing I’m not sure of is how easily the existing 6K rod can be removed from the box. There are 10 small plastic tabs holding part of the box around the rod, but there may be another clamp inside the box that I cannot see…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jasong said:

It's a great detector - when it works. The stability definitely varies highly by location though, so there will probably always be those who claim it runs perfect, and those who can't understand how anyone can possible detect with it at all.

Gotta say though, while I'll be glad to have a working machine, this whole experience has left a pretty sour taste in my mouth regarding Minelab and their complete lack of resolution or communication on the issue, so eventually I'll probably get an Axiom anyways when time isn't of the essence like it is right now. Just because I don't really think Minelab deserves any kind of public support for selling what appears to be a defective product and leaving some customer's out to dry to fix the company's mistake.

A lot of people here are retired or have extra money, can shrug things like that off. I'm not one of them. I expect $6k detectors to work if I drop a chunk of change like that on one. 

Kinda my sentiments also....  Knowing the smaller aftermarket coils were gonna arrive soon I was thinking "you watch...the smaller coils will most likely eliminate most the aircraft/emi and I'll regret selling the 6, sure as shit!"  Then the other frustrated side of me said " already spent enough $ on my 6 and I have another machine that's always stable so I'm not spending anymore on extra coils for the 6".  I'll hide and watch for awhile and see how the Axe performs over time and MAYBE take a look in the future?  Cash wise I lost $1100 selling my 6 but also dug an ounce + or -.  So a tad better than the cost plus got to use it for a year, 100-110 nuggs of fun and some frustration.... Leaves the door open for....??????

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, oneguy said:

Kinda my sentiments also....  Knowing the smaller aftermarket coils were gonna arrive soon I was thinking "you watch...the smaller coils will most likely eliminate most the aircraft/emi and I'll regret selling the 6, sure as shit!"  Then the other frustrated side of me said " already spent enough $ on my 6 and I have another machine that's always stable so I'm not spending anymore on extra coils for the 6".  I'll hide and watch for awhile and see how the Axe performs over time and MAYBE take a look in the future?  Cash wise I lost $1100 selling my 6 but also dug an ounce + or -.  So a tad better than the cost plus got to use it for a year, 100-110 nuggs of fun and some frustration.... Leaves the door open for....??????

For sure. Same thoughts been running through my mind going back and forth. In my case, I vacillated back and forth long enough, waiting for the Axiom, that it looks like the coils arrived to help in time before selling.

In the end I figured the only that matters to me right now is just not wasting a season though, so I decided to get whatever I could to keep me running right now. Had the Axiom been available for purchase last Friday, I'd have sold this 6000 to fund that purchase in a heartbeat though. Still planning on doing just that once the Axiom is released or the snow hits, whichever comes first, just on principle and to support a company that hopefully places a bit higher value on their customers.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, jasong said:

Still planning on doing just that once the Axiom is released or the snow hits, whichever comes first, just on principle and to support a company that hopefully places a bit higher value on their customers.”

I certainly agree with this, and if I ever do buy it, will from a local dealer that definitely places high value on his customers, not something to find from online.

@phrunt Hey have you tried this? Put snug fitting dry O-rings on each of the rod ends and reinsert them. They may compress enough to help keep the rods from spinning.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, GotAU? said:

Both rods are 22mm OD on the control end, I’m sure it will work. The Tele-Nox rod is well built and the adjustable cam locks hold each section tightly. The rod shape is basically round with a closed channel running through the length of them. This makes them ridged and they cannot spin when nested together.

The only thing I’m not sure of is how easily the existing 6K rod can be removed from the box. There are 10 small plastic tabs holding part of the box around the rod, but there may be another clamp inside the box that I cannot see…

It's a no go,the arm cuff is bonded to the shaft,looked at that but i can't see a way to unbond it safely...

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 8/14/2022 at 12:31 AM, Jeff McClendon said:

I have no doubt that the GPX 6000 is killing it in many areas of Australia. There is plenty of YouTube proof of that from well respected prospectors. It is doing well in some areas of the USA too.

I just did not experience that at all. Most of the places I tried to detect with it, the lightweight 11" mono coil was totally unusable and all the great ergonomics and balance of the GPX 6000 were negated by having to use the 14" DD along with loss of sensitivity on the specie and smaller gold that I was after and which the 11" Mono was designed for.   

Just for information, I actually owned two GPX 6000s and the first one had the exact same type of performance problems using the 11” coil in the same places…..

I had seller’s remorse, thinking maybe it was me and not the detector so I bought a second one used…….Nope!

Yeah id be peed off to,it can throw a tantrum on the odd occasion for no reason i've noticed but it's nothing heading towards unusable where we are,good luck out there mate...

• Like 1