Amazed At How Quickly White’s Discussion Faded

I was recently chatting to Carl Moreland re evaluating the TDI for mods as a single channel deepseeking gold hunter detector....mainly for multi-gram up to multi ounce sized gold at max possible depth using big mono, DD and CC coils. Surprisingly, he had already crunched the pulse train numbers and is happy to supply them. He is also working on a variance of pulse train concept that may add an extra degree of performance. So, maybe not all Whites are for the graveyard just yet....

• Like 4

To clarify on Aureous' post, I modified a TDI to test out an idea I had, it was a lot easier than trying to mod an Impulse. To do this I had to write new micro code from scratch. The idea worked but needs more effort. The code includes a switch to exactly replicate the original TDI timing and I sent a few chips to someone with a bunch of dead TDIs but he says the chips were acting squirrely so, again, needs more work.

• Like 5

Out of Respect, for Whites Long History as often the leader in performance in multiple markets and multiple decades, I don't think it is appropriate to Disrespect that history by lumping them in with defunct companies that had far less impact on the industry.  Out of Respect they should have their own archive.

What I want to know is -- WHY, did Garrett buy the company if they are not going to do anything with them.?

I would like to know how much they spent for the company?  It is hard to believe they purchased the company just for the 24K.  Whites would have been better off if someone else purchased it.  I would have preferred it be bought by a group of Enthusiast and maybe Enthusiastic Engineers.  Perhaps that could still happen.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Knomad said:

Out of Respect, for Whites Long History as often the leader in performance in multiple markets and multiple decades, I don't think it is appropriate to Disrespect that history by lumping them in with defunct companies that had far less impact on the industry.  Out of Respect they should have their own archive.

What I want to know is -- WHY, did Garrett buy the company if they are not going to do anything with them.?

I would like to know how much they spent for the company?  It is hard to believe they purchased the company just for the 24K.  Whites would have been better off if someone else purchased it.  I would have preferred it be bought by a group of Enthusiast and maybe Enthusiastic Engineers.  Perhaps that could still happen.

How do you know that the 24K is the only thing that Garrett used from Whites? Let's see, there was the Ace APEX which had simultaneous multi frequency tech that came from somewhere, and the new Axiom has some different and enhanced technology that didn't just come from the Infinium and the ATX. Where could some of the SMF technology for Garrett's SMF AT series that we all know will be happening eventually be coming from????? Just my opinion, but it's a possibility.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 8 months later...

Seems to me Steve has a bad taste in his mouth.  I think there's plenty of loyal White's people out there. Take care of a detector it lasts many many years. Garretts did a heck of a job selling the "AT" series, How many beginners that I have seen, I expect Youtube sold them.  Then other tubers buying, reviewing cell phones on sticks. A few of them reporting modifications out of the box, Failures which soon had to be sent in to be fixed.  $1000+ as if more money makes better machines. 

There's a lot of money to be made in a small market.  Media using (anything) to tell the public how great their detectors are. I have no doubt forums hire people to 'MAKE AND BREAK" companies. Someone who just got a first detector becomes an expert, I guess you spend so much money, you have to be happy, otherwise you'd have to admit you got taken. 

Yes I bought my first White's in 1980, Still own White's. Too old to change and I figure the "Quality" of my White's machines will out live me.  I do more look see in the forums, This post may be something you find you have in common. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I think if anything Steve and others are disappointed Whites could no longer survive as a business.   The reason for that is people stopped buying them, it's really that simple.  If they sold well they'd be here right now, but they didn't.

Loyal Whites people mean very little, having people using their 10 year old Whites detector doesn't keep a business alive, businesses need sales and to get sales they need to be innovative and provide products people who own older models want to upgrade to.  If you make a great product in a small market like detectors that's great, you will sell a lot, what happens when everyone who wants one has one? your business dies.

Tesoro = Lifetime warranty? Great way to kill your business.

Forums don't hire people, in fact they're insignificant in today's market when it comes to advertising, Youtube, Facebook etc are the home of paid promoters, not forums.  

You are part of Whites failure, happy to run a decades old detector because its built well, and works well enough to keep you happy.... how do they make money off someone like that? They can't.

The only detector businesses that survive right now are the ones constantly striving to bring new better models to market, maybe their performance doesn't improve all that much but they add features and other benefits to make people want to buy them over their existing detector.   The moment that stops they will gradually die too and there will be the last few companies standing that can afford to keep going, possibly propped up by something other than detectors. 

Whites worst enemies were it's devoted customers using their decades old detectors content with their old long lasting well built detectors not wanting to buy the newer model.

• Like 2

White's had multiple problems! There was not just one thing that did them in! But there "new" old stock is sparse these days, and there is a healthy used market! I have three of some of their best i bought used!

Unlike many others here, I had a large gap in my detecting years, so the analog and digital "play by ear" models appeal to me, and always will; among other modern one's i have!

Steve and others "in the know" have gone over all the issues previously, with those companies that are now defunct, and I won't second guess their near half century of wisdom on the subject! 

I'm in it for the fun, and I like the people I've met along the way, while doing it! Just sorry I missed the really productive years, and great innovations, when they were new! All good things have there time, and end! Nothing new there!🍀👍👍

• Like 3

(PHRUNT)  "people using their 10 year old Whites detector doesn't keep a business alive"  Strange statement, sure it can be true, But when did you see "Quality" as a bad thing.  In My 40+ years I have updated to newer machines, Kept older machines.  I can say My first White's 5000D Series 2  1980 detector could run any day with todays' detectors.  XL Pro, MXT, Wonderful machines.  Bells and Whistles, Ah yes, When a person gets to know a machine often times most of those bells and whistles don't even get used.... Find the People who "Find the good stuff" What are they doing?  Well you will see a common usage. Low to no discrimination and a sensitivity setting as high as can be used.  Why should I give up what works great for me?  

• Like 1