Running The Equinox 800 In All Metal Single Tone At The Beach?

midalake said:

"It is OK to have have a half fast regular swing but when you get a hit [slow down] It is real easy to know where the center of the target is in horseshoe mode, and you will never need to use pinpoint again!"

People have told me that my swing is half fast, but I never knew what they meant by it.  😄

• Haha 3

Midalake,

This is brilliant stuff.  Here in S. CA falsing in Beach 1 isn't an issue so I run it most of the time.  It seems to get better depth in discriminate.  I run my IB, recovery and sensitivity the same as you. 

Thanks for the tip about this being a whole new world.  I'm going to try this the next time I hit the beach and will let you know how it goes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bill (S. CA) said:

Here in S. CA falsing in Beach 1 isn't an issue so I run it most of the time. 

But letting me know your current sensitivity range tells me what your conditions is.
After all I can get Beach 1 to hunt quiet, but the sensitivity is not acceptable. 
Are you able to hunt 21 sensitivity and over? 

2 hours ago, Bill (S. CA) said:

It seems to get better depth in discriminate.   

The horseshoe button shouldn't have any affect on depth.  All it does is turn the low tones on or off.

2 hours ago, midalake said:

But letting me know your current sensitivity range tells me what your conditions is.
After all I can get Beach 1 to hunt quiet, but the sensitivity is not acceptable. 
Are you able to hunt 21 sensitivity and over? 

I generally can get to 22 before it gets chirpy.  Most often I settle in at 20. 

3 hours ago, Bill (S. CA) said:

I generally can get to 22 before it gets chirpy.  Most often I settle in at 20. 

OK, on those days where you can only do 20 sens, don't be afraid to run the same settings in Beach 2. You should be able to at least run 22 in Beach2. 

59 minutes ago, midalake said:

OK, on those days where you can only do 20 sens, don't be afraid to run the same settings in Beach 2. You should be able to at least run 22 in Beach2. 

It’s surprising that such an incremental increase in sensitivity could overcome the inherent raw depth loss in Beach 2 due to the lower transmit power (to increase black sand stability) associated with that mode.  Though ML has never actually quantified the magnitude of the transmit power reduction in Beach 2 (or Overload for that matter) compared to Beach 1 or the non-beach/non-gold modes (i.e., Park/Field).  Can’t argue with field results, though.  Dave, I’ve never known you to be someone who knowingly puts themselves at a settings “disadvantage” under real world conditions as you settle in on settings that work best for you after many hours of real world trial and error.

One thing I have never really understood is what you describe as a “double hit” as a telltale for 100% ferrous targets.  Does that happen with shallow/big ferrous due to coil edge sensitivity or what?  (I do understand what you mean by 360 degree ferrous target breakdown).  Further explanation would be helpful.  Thanks.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

It’s surprising that such an incremental increase in sensitivity could overcome the inherent raw depth loss in Beach 2 due to the lower transmit power (to increase black sand stability) associated with that mode.

Maybe it is my pod and coil combo?  I am not the only one though that has not noticed an advantage running Beach 1. It has been mentioned by others, on several forums.
There is hunting sensitivity, then enhancement sensitivity. If I am hunting in Beach 2 at 22 and find a difficult target, I do not have an issue going to 24 just to get a better look at that one target. I can usually move two points of sensitivity regardless of the conditions. Now take a combo of Beach 1 at 20 with the ability to 22. YES, there is a difference.

12 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

Dave, I’ve never known you to be someone who knowingly puts themselves at a settings “disadvantage” under real world conditions

correct. 

13 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

One thing I have never really understood is what you describe as a “double hit” as a telltale for 100% ferrous targets.  Does that happen with shallow/big ferrous due to coil edge sensitivity or what?

*I have no idea if this works in another mode than Beach 2.

Most of the ferrous at the beach is .50 cent size and less, also nails of all types and sizes.  

The double ring on ferrous happens at ALL depths, and for the deepest targets you get the one-sided signal breakdown more often.  High nonferrous targets can also double ring however these WILL lock out on the positive TID side making for easy diggers. ALL Nonferrous targets at depth will ONLY single ring. [you cannot even make them double ring by mistake] 

It is as simple as ding/pause/ding.  Coil control is critical, and one will pick up on the cadence needed soon enough, 

Reason:?  I am thinking without question the edges of the coil read each side of the ferrous targets. I am also guessing it has something to do with frequency weighting in Beach 2. 

Everyone needs to know [again] I have no idea if this works in any different mode than Beach2. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It seems that the two beach modes may differ in sensitivity increments. As an example, It may take beach 2,  4 number increases (say 20 - 24) to equal 2 increments in Beach 1 (say 20-22). That may be the reason you can bring beach 2 up two notches and not get any falsing or emi but if you try it on beach 1, it may get a bit unstable. Since we never really know what goes on and what parameters are set for each program, that is my guess on it. Kind of like a coarse vs fine tuning

• Like 1