Running The Equinox 800 In All Metal Single Tone At The Beach?

15 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Possibly, except sensitivity is one of the "universal" settings and not tied to a particular mode.  Set sensitivity to a particular number in one mode and switch modes and the sensitivity setting does not change.  So I don't think the setting increments change at all based on mode, it's simply a matter of how stable the mode is for the given environmental conditions that affects the sensitivity setting "breakpoint" where the mode becomes less stable.

So then it comes down to the weighted frequencies that make the difference?  Something has to make one mode different from the other, and enough of a difference to make it unstable in the same spot. This is interesting for sure.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, midalake said:

One tone or five tone?  You talking about discrimination?  There won't be any difference. The difference is HORSESHOE mode. Horseshoe mode is the deeper mode in one tone!  

Going by the title of this thread, I assumed it was understood that we are running in all metal (no discrimination).

I normally run in all metal with 2 or 5 tones. You seem to be saying that all metal single tone has more depth.

To test your theory of increased depth, shouldn't we compare targets in both single tone and 5 tones to see if single tone goes deeper?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Badger-NH said:

I normally run in all metal with 2 or 5 tones. You seem to be saying that all metal single tone has more depth.

You post was unclear as to what mode. As for say one tone or 5 tone in horseshoe mode going deeper, that is not my claim.
I just claim the Horseshoe mode is deeper than discrimination.  I just happen to hunt in "one tone"

Backstory: Briefly I hunted in discrimination mode two tone for about a year. Then at about the same time I figured out horseshoe mode was deeper, and iron targets double rung, and nonferrous targets only produced a single ring. So, when I switched to Horseshoe mode, I went to one tone. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, midalake said:

You post was unclear as to what mode. As for say one tone or 5 tone in horseshoe mode going deeper, that is not my claim.
I just claim the Horseshoe mode is deeper than discrimination.  I just happen to hunt in "one tone"

Backstory: Briefly I hunted in discrimination mode two tone for about a year. Then at about the same time I figured out horseshoe mode was deeper, and iron targets double rung, and nonferrous targets only produced a single ring. So, when I switched to Horseshoe mode, I went to one tone. 

Thanks, I'm glad we cleared that up.

I've been hunting in all metal since day one and have never tried using discrimination on the beach. I like knowing how much iron or mineralization might be around. Plus, I prefer to hear the whole signal over just a partial one. Turning the low tone volume all the way down makes them just a quiet background sound.

Saying horseshoe mode is confusing because that could mean all metal on or off to different people. To me, horseshoe mode is all metal off.

I question the idea that all metal would have any affect on depth simply because it's not a true all metal mode. All it does is turn the low tones on and off. Yes, some targets near the edge of detection can sometimes give off low tones so in that respect you could imagine it as more depth but normal non-ferrous tones and actual depth performance should be unchanged whether all metal is on or off. Maybe in black sand. I wouldn't know about that because we have no black sand on our beaches.

The thought of an Equinox equaling a DEUS II simply by turning on all metal seems a little far fetched.

4 hours ago, Badger-NH said:

Saying horseshoe mode is confusing because that could mean all metal on or off to different people. To me, horseshoe mode is all metal off.

It seems like we are having a terminology problem? 
Discrimination mode is:  Horseshoe mode off.
All metal mode is:  Horseshoe mode ON. 

I question the idea that all metal would increase depth simply because it's not a true all metal mode. All it does is turn the low tones on and off.

I have literally done 50 wild tests where I have taken what I have identified as a nonferrous deep target in Horseshoe mode on. Then I switch the Horseshoe mode off and look at that same target. Not a sound! Not even a tick! [same settings] I have done this so many times, I don't do it anymore. 

I can't believe that it would instantly make the Equinox equal to a DEUS II.

My saying is:  it makes the Deus2 reach for capabilities the the Equinox has.  

Maybe in black sand. I wouldn't know about that because we have no black sand on our beaches.

Well, our first testing of the Deus2 we could run Beach in the wet sand/water contact area.
Just a few weeks ago when I took my Deus2 down for the first time, I could not get Beach to function with the amount of black sand we had. I reverted to two different programs, one -Beach Pitch, the other- Dive Mode.  Black Sand is very hard on the Deus2. I don't have a feel, yet for which one will go deeper. {Nox or D2}
I will say a couple of general trends. The D2 has issues giving iron grunts on nonferrous targets and also seems to enhance ferrous targets in Black Sand.    I know what you're thinking, well Dave.......how can it do both?  That was my question too, I was looking for some type of tell, for me to separate items at depth better. I could not find one.
The other generality, after the D2 loses a TID lock on a target good luck figuring out what it is. It is clearly not as simple as one ring for nonferrous and double ring for ferrous targets. [we found this to be true in testing with beach mode and now with black Sand and Beach Pitch and Dive mode. 
Adding third Hunting active wave wash is important and difficult. In the last session I had more time in tough air-entrained wave action. As I suspected originally, the Deus beats the Equinox in this zone. Both in functionality and achieving better depth. 

I did not do a full write-up of this because my Remote was discharging after I shut the machine off. So, I cannot be 100% sure my Deus2 was even working correctly. [though I think it was working correctly] Once my machine comes back from warranty repair, I will eventually get back on it in January. However, my beach usually does not have the same nasty black sand condition at this time of year unless there is a late storm. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, midalake said:

How are the Horseshoe Mode "on" testers doing??? 

I'll probably get ripped for this but I elected not to go to the beach today and instead ran a Compass 77B Yukon at a very trashy old park.  Just for pure fun.  Yes I dug a mountain of old ring tabs. But I also dug several nickels and a 1964 silver dime.  And I had a blast.  Sometimes for me I like to step away from all of the tech just to clear my head.  Using an old detector does the trick for me.  All you do with the little beast is turn it on and adjust the tuning.

If any of you do try this, you will be astonished how many old, shallow low conductive trash targets are still in the ground.  Targets that on occasion could be something good, just like the three nickels I dug proved.

The beach is a couple of weeks away for me right now.  Tides are lousy and I'm back to working weekends.  But as soon as I can I will be out there giving midalake's tips a try!

• Like 5

I went to my local "clean" beach (I have literally wiped it out of anything good) a couple of days ago to compare IDs and test out the concept presented here.20220823_093018.thumb.jpg.cbdff3e88af9974893720cd79ec69756.jpg

Again this is a white sand beach with a small amount of patchy black sand that does register in the ones and twos of sensitivity is cranked. It's not everywhere but sure sounds off.

I put the Equinox 600 in Beach 2, sensitivity 23, and was ready to switch to Beach 1 also should I find anything. There are some very deep targets here, but I have dug everything up to 10" for the most part.

I'm a little puzzled with the contention that no tone or ID comes up with the horseshoe off, as the default discrimination for Beach 1 and 2 is everything 9 and lower, so yeah, you wouldn't "see" or hear a thing. I always run in all metal mode so I hear and see everything. Tried that too.

I did finally get  -5 in all directions and happily dug until I got down to about a foot deep. The Equinox hit on this small iron nail strongly:20220823_095727.thumb.jpg.84a937d5227dd1c43fc29cbcd068501c.jpg

The top of the hole is 4" above the pointer making this hole 12" deep. This was with the 10x5. It's hard to get a photo of depth for sure. The nail is the small brownish gray object on the bottom left edge of the hole.

I'll agree that black sand does somewhat cut sensitivity, but I've found especially with the 10x5 that it doesn't stop the Equinox from more strongly "locking on" to a better signal amongst the crap. Admittedly there was no black sand over this nail, but all metal sure does go deep! I'm still chasing a 30/31 here that even a 2 foot hole doesn't get to. 🤬 It's probably a deep silver beer can. 😀

I also switched to Beach 1 and got exactly the same result. Even from all directions, ferrous is ferrous from my view.

Your mileage may vary, but this is what it is. 🙂

• Like 3

The test target needs to be non-ferrous.

I think if you had accepted -5 in disc mode, it would have picked up the nail just as well in disc mode as it did in all metal.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

I would like to revive this topic, it's very interesting  I always run horseshoe on ,but have never investigated the targets that gave a vdi of minius.

That's not to say I haven't dug gold that started as a minus number.when detecting in highly mineralised sand a target can have 90% ferrous 10% non ferrous sound..

I would like to know what advantages you feel 1 tone is over 50,I will be trying 1 tone,for the next week of hunting.

It's possible 1 tone will give a cleaner sound to a deep non ferrous target.did it take a while to adjust to 1 tone..thanks