Thank You Minelab... My Hats Off To You

You gotta get up real early in the morning to trick "the old cougar" into thinking that pic of the BITS are next to a FULL SIZE shovel.....lol   Good try tho Gerry!  once again...REAL EARLY in the morn....lmao!

On a serious note.... everything changed for me in my detecting 30yrs when after 22yrs swinging Tesoro I made the switch to Minelab and for the better I might ad. Completely agree.....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• The title was changed to Thank You Minelab...my Hats Off To You

Nice tribute Gerry, and wonderful photos. Yes, we all owe a debt of gratitude to Minelab. The fact is the U.S. manufacturers all lost the thread, got complacent, and tried to milk old technology for far too long. It has cost some of them their very businesses. If it were not for Minelab, PI technology in particular, would have went almost nowhere. They are on third generation multi while most companies have just released their first. I think we'd be 20 years farther back than we are right now, were it not for Minelab, and its massive investment in the technology, and their drive to compete, even when for years it has only been them competing with themselves!

So yeah, I'm with you for sure on all that. Thank you Minelab, thank you very much.

• Like 7

Totally agree, I was a Whites guy for a long time, when I made the switch to Minelab my world in detecting changed. My nugget count sky rocketed, gold that was unreachable became reachable, sure I found some small nuggets with my vlfs, but nothing what Minelab sniffed out! Like I said many times before I still use the 4500 and I am happy with it, one day I'll upgrade when I am ready, I could have done it years ago, I value money and I have other places where its needed like my family. As far as I am concerned the fact this 4500 still works from day   one  13 years and never had to have it repaired say a lot about Minelab quality. Thank you Minleab !

• Like 4

• The title was changed to Thank You Minelab... My Hats Off To You

They don't make 'em like they used to 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I echo all of Gerry's sentiment. I also have a long history with ML, even owning 3 of their 1st gen VLF's (Goldseeker 15000) when they were just a shed based manufacturer in Stepney. Bruce Candy even had all of his Sth African accent back then lol.

BUT, I'll make a political analogy..... when you are in power for too long, you become complacent and think you'll be there forever. Standards drop, taxes increase and a level of arrogance creeps in. When you're at the top in any 'game', especially when you're there for waaaay too long, these issues arise. 

I pray that ML will continue to provide us with the level of tech that we, as prospectors, desire. We can continue to probe the same soils, deeper and more efficiently every few years. They just need to be mindful of their QC and pricing methinks. Try not to piss off the customers....without us, they are nothing.

• Like 2

Well said Gerry. We all owe Minelab a debt of gratitude for hours of insane fun in some of the most beautiful natural settings in the world.

14 hours ago, IronDigger said:

Totally agree, I was a Whites guy for a long time, when I made the switch to Minelab my world in detecting changed. My nugget count sky rocketed, gold that was unreachable became reachable, sure I found some small nuggets with my vlfs, but nothing what Minelab sniffed out! Like I said many times before I still use the 4500 and I am happy with it, one day I'll upgrade when I am ready, I could have done it years ago, I value money and I have other places where its needed like my family. As far as I am concerned the fact this 4500 still works from day   one  13 years and never had to have it repaired say a lot about Minelab quality. Thank you Minleab !

I was White's all the 70's and most 80's.  Started playing Fisher in the mid 80's.  Those years I was chasing coins, relics, rings even though I had good gold right just outside of town, I knew nothing about it.

Early 90's I started exploring gold detectors (VLF's) and had great Success.  Then a friend purchased a high dollar SD-2100 and I used it.  I was totally blown away at what I was missing.  I became a dealer as soon as I got home from the trip.

One of my old time customers still to this day uses with Success his trusty GP-3500.  He's probably recovered 1/4 mil in gold with it.  He's all about the analog machines and even though he purchased a GPX, he did not like it.

Yes I agree, those older machines and even the semi new GPX-4500 are practically bullet proof when it comes to reliability.

Coiltek18s.jpg

• Like 5