Getting Digital Data Feed From A Detector?

Hi, 

I am looking for a way to get a digitised data feed of a metal detector so I can write my own metal detecting system. Any experience with this? A recording of numbers that I can feed in to a programming tool on my laptop is where I would like to be. I assume developers of commercial systems have tools for such.

can I buy or make simple powerful diy detector with some coils, amplifiers and a digitiser? There are some diy guides that mention multimeters. Perhaps I could find a usb connected multimeter or a Bluetooth multimeter that connects to a streaming api on the laptop?

would these diy multimeters be comparable to commercial systems? Is what makes commercial systems good their special software sauce or are there hardware differences that can’t be acquired by normal people?

No prospecting detectors have any kind of API for control, data logging, or interface. At least, not a public one. It's something I always hope is made available, but never is. 

About all you can do is either data log the audio feed, or capture the RX/TX on the cable to the coil by putting some kind of logging module at the connecter at the control box. An oscilloscope would be more useful than a multimeter if you want to actually see what's happening and how things change. 

You could build your own from an Arduino where all the data and control is open already. George Overton wrote a book on a basic project like that. 

• Like 4

Many modern detectors use a fair bit of analogue front-end processing, then a modest microcontroller to do further signal processing. So there's a point where you'll find typically two demodulated DC signals ( Resistive and Reactive components ) , ready to feed into an ADC, probably 12 - 14 bits resolution. If your hardware piggybacks onto these signals, eg. possibly Arduino type sub-systems, you should be able to achieve your goal.

And I recommend you sign up to the Geotech1 forum, where there's plenty of technical info, such as schematics of many detectors that could be the starting point for your project.
There's also the thread "Let's build a PC-based detector" , which may be interesting to you:

https://www.geotech1.com/forums/showthread.php?14102-Let-s-made-a-PC-base-metal-detector-with-usb-interface-!!!

The general Geotech forum index:

https://www.geotech1.com/forums/forum.php

• Like 4

Thanks. I moved a while ago to a historic gold area and have taken a keen interest. Looking on the hardware side detectors don’t seem to have taken on the recent improvements from other industries such as  astronomy and photography. Interesting and fruitful ground so to speak!