The Legend Foil Issue Update!

17 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

...Any experienced turf clad hunter will quickly see the discoloration of those coins. Those are not surface or near surface finds. Most are from the 4" to 8" range in high iron mineralization with layers of aluminum trash above them......... the easy, clean, fresh drops are already in the bank.

And throw in the fact that you have to be gentle with your recovery methods in those Denver area parks.  Jeff, you're the ultimate grinder.  Day after day you toil away methodically while some others among us (myself included) make excuses for why we aren't finding anything.  Heck, your dog (regular detecting companion) probably finds more coins that I do!

I almost missed noticing that sliver Roosie partly eclipsed by the Merc.  Speaking of 'clean', is that showing signs of mint lustre or is it mostly the angle and location in the photo causing over-exposure?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

And throw in the fact that you have to be gentle with your recovery methods in those Denver area parks.  Jeff, you're the ultimate grinder.  Day after day you toil away methodically while some others among us (myself included) make excuses for why we aren't finding anything.  Heck, your dog (regular detecting companion) probably finds more coins that I do!

I almost missed noticing that sliver Roosie partly eclipsed by the Merc.  Speaking of 'clean', is that showing signs of mint lustre or is it mostly the angle and location in the photo causing over-exposure?

That 1964 P Rosie came out of the ground looking just like that. It was a shallow target under a fir tree so I don't understand its origins/condition. Since it was shaded and more protected from the extreme weather here, maybe that was a factor. That dime has some damage on the rim and some discoloration so definitely not mint or uncirculated. Some of the silver jewelry came out of the ground very clean also....others did not.

• Like 1

What I find funny is certain people are dead set on attacking the Legend, yet are virtually completely blind to the flaws and faults with their favoured much more expensive detector.   Where are their giant videos about the problems with it? Why are they not over inflating it's problems to be big game changing flaws that must be immediately addressed. 

I think they're best just ignored, the more publicity they get the more success they have in their mission.

Every detector has some issues, no detector is perfect, Nokta do a better job than most of remedying problems, truly impressive in that regard.  If every brand was as responsive as Nokta we'd be all happy, sadly they're not.

The Legend has a speaker prone to failure, they quickly sourced another speaker, I know of another much more expensive detector with a speaker problem, it will just go ignored by the manufacturer with them telling us to "deal with it", actually not even telling us that, just ignoring us meaning we have to deal with it.

Look at the price of the Legend and what you get for your money, outstanding value for a good detector.  I'm glad you are enjoying yours Jeff, you've always been a straight up guy so if you like it , it's good, pretty simple really.

• Like 6

Remember when the big issue with another new model was that it was not very good at detecting 6 quarters in a tight stack? Because we all find those all the time, right? Or that we do not....is it because those stacks are everywhere, but our detectors are defective? :smile:

Take any detector with a small coil. Bury a dime at six inches. Now put a steel staple on the ground directly above the dime, and see what happens. OMG! OMG!!! All metal detectors are defective, can't see things when those things are masked by other targets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Geez, like a discovery has been made. Not. Old stuff. Applies to aluminum as much as steel.

https://www.dankowskidetectors.com/behindthemask.htm

Drama, gotta have drama to get eyeballs. Blow stuff out of proportion, and better yet, pit this versus that, start a fight. Fight, fight, everybody look, a fight!!

Sigh.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

More clear evidence that the Legend can't umask its way out of its cardboard shipping box. Why on earth did I buy one......

81 zinc pennies, 42 copper Memorial pennies, 15 nickels, 38 dimes, 20 quarters, 196 coins or $10.78 US found today at a Denver Colorado public park that is a sea of aluminum trash. A 3 hour hunt that completely wore me out........

three .925 silver rings too....

DSCN0322.jpeg

• Like 7

54 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

More clear evidence that the Legend can't umask its way out of its cardboard shipping box. Why on earth did I buy one......

81 zinc pennies, 42 copper Memorial pennies, 15 nickels, 38 dimes, 20 quarters, 196 coins or $10.78 US found today at a Denver Colorado public park that is a sea of aluminum trash. A 3 hour hunt that completely wore me out........

three .925 silver rings too....

DSCN0322.jpeg

The proofs in the pudding! Great job Jeff! 

You obviously don't have that machine adjusted the way a real expert would. Not fair.

Forgot to mention that once I started to locate a smattering of pennies (and plenty of aluminum trash) I just kept circling a tree where all of these coins were situated. I ended up detecting all of the targets in an area about 50'X50' so an extremely dense amount of coins and trash. I ran out of gas........and left lots of obviously good targets from exhaustion. Most of the targets were 4" or less deep.

• Like 3

Metal detecting is like dating, you have to go through some trash to get to the good stuff.  Unfortunately that’s my experience. I’ve had some iffy targets with the legend and started to walk away and said, nah I’ll just dig it, they turned out to be 52 g sterling silver necklace and earrings.  Some where junk rings, most were trash.

I have a couple parks I go to regularly, I balance those out with removing the trash and with digging coins, and sometimes jewelry pops up.  Nobody likes spending hours digging just trash, and I’ll dig some of the lower tones.

the good stuff is where people congregate, and that’s where the trash is too.  I try to enjoy just being out in nature, and lower my expectations.  This is a great hobby and I got to remind myself why I’m doing it.  It’s a form of meditation for me, I got to get away the stresses of everyday life.

• Like 4