The Legend Foil Issue Update!

I find the same things with my treasure pro set to high trash in the red soil of TN. 99% of all detectorists don't need a detector more than a couple hundred bucks or multi frequency. People like to buy what they think to be the latest and greatest only to realize you never know until you dig. Look at all the people that buy 20 dollar coin probes when a screwdriver does the exact same thing. My 1st wife was great until I met my second one! An bit later I realized could have stayed with the 1st one because she did the same thing cheaper!

IMG_20170208_043937229.jpg

42 minutes ago, Johnnysalami1957 said:

I find the same things with my treasure pro set to high trash in the red soil of TN. 99% of all detectorists don't need a detector more than a couple hundred bucks or multi frequency. People like to buy what they think to be the latest and greatest only to realize you never know until you dig. Look at all the people that buy 20 dollar coin probes when a screwdriver does the exact same thing. My 1st wife was great until I met my second one! An bit later I realized could have stayed with the 1st one because she did the same thing cheaper!

IMG_20170208_043937229.jpg

That's a really good haul.

A lot of the latest and greatest as far as VLFs have been to help people hunt in more extreme ground and beach conditions so they give hunters more choices for areas to hunt effectively.

I owned and actually liked the Treasure Master and Treasure Pro for awhile. I liked the MXT, MX5 and the MX7. Same with other less expensive single frequency detectors and some single freqs that cost more than the Legend.

For me where I often hunt, those single frequency detectors got 1/3 of the depth they get in less challenging soil conditions and also lost any kind of reliable target ID at 2 to 3" depth here.

I did a video once for a guy back east, showing me setting up a Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax with the disc knob turned all the way up to max and swinging over a 3" deep nickel and a 3" deep pull-tab. I also put the same targets on the surface. On the surface they were discriminated out of course. 3" deep they were coming through the discrimination like it wasn't even turned on and hitting hard like a quarter would or big silver....

Had I been using one of those at the site I hunted yesterday, I would have recovered more trash than coins since the aluminum trash that I managed to avoid with the Legend would have read like zinc pennies or clad dimes or even higher the deeper its was.

So, the newer, faster, multi frequency detectors do offer some people a real measurable advantage.

• Like 5

Yeah, the old machines certainly lack depth. Those coins were probably 4" max and dug plenty of trash with it! Still silver around East Tennessee too. I was lucky enough to grab a couple mercs and a barber dime in the backyard. Dug the most silver back in NJ before the park mom's complained and had to stop even though I was very conscious about leaving the area look untouched. I like your writings about the legend. Happy hunting Jeff! 

• 1 month later...

@Jeff McClendon A bit older thread but still very relevant. Have you done any comparison testing between Park mode M1 and 4 kHz in your Al trashed coin sites or testing at home?  4kHz seems to really suppress the small Al & tabs and not allow them to down average coins very much.   I know I, and many others here would appreciate your observations.

Since I hunt almost exclusively in high iron mineralization, I have not and probably will not use 4 kHz, 5 kHz, 10 kHz or 15 kHz.  I do sometimes use 20 and 40 kHz in bad EMI.

Those lower frequencies get next to no depth where I detect and target IDs are heavily up averaged. 

Sorry I can’t help with your question.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply as it actually does answer my questions about how mineralization would effect the performance on unmasking.

Hope your making good progress on your recovery & can get out soon.

• Like 1