I Sure Miss Minelab Treasure Talk

Does anyone know why they stopped posting "Treasure Talk" articles on their web site? I LOVED seeing posts by Steve, JP, Nenad and others, anyone know why they stopped and is there any chance of them being motivated to start again?

Jen

• Like 1

They were replaced by "detect-spurts" that seem to be more social media personalities and less technical nerds, appealing to a different broader market I guess.  A sad thing, I benefited greatly from the Treasure Talks, still refer to them to this day.  I don't follow a word the Detect-spurts say, I guess I hang in different circles as I never even see anything much from them aside from marketing videos.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I think they got rid of it after the staff shakeup at Minelab.

They talked to me once about doing it. It was only $50 though, but at the time I could make 2-10x as much doing the same thing in a video where you have 100% creative control and can say anything you want, so I never did one because there was no point.

Another casualty of being behind the times I think. It's like offering a job to someone for $2/hr when minimum wage is $7/hr. Maybe doesn't matter for people who don't need money, but for people who still need to make a living, well...

The new Minelab staff I think basically just decided to cut costs more and go with whatever random people were already creating content with their machines rather than pay actual experts though, by the looks of it. That's the "detexspurts". 

• Thanks 2

Never seen the detectaspurts, where are they?  As for the experienced detectorists we all know about, unfortunately they are nowhere to be seen when it comes to the more recent Minelab adverts. Seems you have to be a younger good looking model to be a  Minelab influencer these days, haven’t you’ve seen them in the instruction manuals and Minelab ads recently?  Cleanest cut, fit and well dressed bunch of prospectors I’ve ever seen!

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

The old crew including myself were more or less ignored until we wandered off. The problem with us was all we had was tons of knowledge and experience, and genuinely know our stuff. The number one criteria became, not knowledge, but social media views. Treasure Talk was replaced by what is now a large stable of Detexperts. Anyone can apply, the main criteria being some sort of social media presence. Some of them really are people that are real detectorists, who really know their stuff. Others are just people who needed a "thing" for social media, and picked detecting. Don't know, can't say I really pay any attention at all to any of it myself. I think you apply, you get a t-shirt, and they link to your social media platforms. What happens after that I guess is up to the individual Detexperts.

Long story short no lack of motivation on our part. It was Minelab that lacked the motivation to continue with Treasure Talk, and decided their efforts were better spent elsewhere.

As far as Minelab ads, yeah, the real people have all been replaced by models.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, nebulanoodle said:

Detect-SPURTS! 🤣 

Poop jokes never dull.

😑My 6th graders agree with you! 😉

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, phrunt said:

They were replaced by "detect-spurts" that seem to be more social media personalities and less technical nerds, appealing to a different broader market I guess.  A sad thing, I benefited greatly from the Treasure Talks, still refer to them to this day.  I don't follow a word the Detect-spurts say, I guess I hang in different circles as I never even see anything much from them aside from marketing videos.

Detector spurts? What the heck is that? Some sort of Twitter type thing?, I don't even see that on their site (and honestly I'm ok with that, who picks these names.. LOL)... they seem to still encourage the "Treasure Talk" articles... sad... 😥

image.thumb.png.9779c361d6e3f2f2450a7713279033c5.png

Edited by Jennifer
Added "Some sort of Twitter type thing?"

I linked to it. Here it is again. Many of their links are dead though, so they don't seem to keep up with their Detexperts at all to see what they are doing, if anything. Really, it's just a link exchange program, dressed up with photos and tshirts.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

They seem to want some from every country, proudly nobody in NZ has signed up 🙂

https://www.minelab.com/community/meet-the-detexperts

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1