Chronology Of The Different White's TDI Models?

I'm curious as to the history of production and sale of the various TDI models.  I know the original was called "Pulse Scan TDI" and had the large control box.  Eventually that was replaced with the TDI Pro (also with large box).  The SL came after the original (but after the Pro??) and its offspring were housed in a smaller, lighter housing but also used less battery power and thus didn't punch as deep.  How long was each in production/distribution?  And if you care to go even further, what were the prices?  I think both big box units retailed ~$1600 initially and the SL more like $1300 when released, but those prices evolved.  Also, did White's have MAP prices on these that differed from retail?

Yes...the pulse scan TDI, and then the Pro. The pro had better Ground balancing for the Australian market, but sold also in the US. Then the SL version, which fit ina smaller box because they went to surface-mount components, but it also had a different ground-balancing system, which improved the performance. Not much later Reg Sniff (RIP) started testing mods to the SL that improved the performance. His mods, which included improved sensitivity, and faster allowed sweep speed, without sacrificing sensitivity really turned the SL into a great machine. The factory finally relented and adopted the improved sensitivity mod into the factory models, starting sometime in 2015. Then the tan version, which also had the improved sensitivity mod. No factory unit ever had the faster sweep speed mod, though that's the easier of the two mods to do.

Jim

• Like 2

I should also mention that Reg had a 3rd mod that I have not done on mine, so can't comment on. I found out only after modding mine, and haven't gotten around to it, yet. I can't remember the details, but the info is out there somewhere.

Jim

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim in Idaho said:

Yes...the pulse scan TDI, and then the Pro. The pro had better Ground balancing for the Australian market, but sold also in the US. Then the SL version, which fit ina smaller box because they went to surface-mount components, but it also had a different ground-balancing system, which improved the performance. Not much later Reg Sniff (RIP) started testing mods to the SL that improved the performance. His mods, which included improved sensitivity, and faster allowed sweep speed, without sacrificing sensitivity really turned the SL into a great machine. The factory finally relented and adopted the improved sensitivity mod into the factory models, starting sometime in 2015. Then the tan version, which also had the improved sensitivity mod. No factory unit ever had the faster sweep speed mod, though that's the easier of the two mods to do.

Jim

Jim, you seem to have taken over for Reg as the guru of TDI/SL mods, at least here on this site.  (I'm sure Carl knows a ton, too.)  So I have a couple questions that are vague in my memory:

1) Do all of the SL variations (including SPP) gain depth with higher voltage battery packs than stock, or just some of them?

2) Can all (or any) SPP's be modded to work the same as the SL's -- i.e. add the conductivity switch and the pulse delay pot?

3) Is it true for all SL/SPP variations that turning off the ground balance leads to more depth performance?

Answer #1...yes     # 2 I have no idea      #3 yes

An unasked question...can the SPP's be modded for more sensitivity and sweep speed....yes! And, I'm no guru...far from it, though I'm probably dangerous, in that, a little knowledge is  a dangerous thing....LOL

Jim

• Like 1

As a start to answering my question, here are some catalog entries:

2006 catalog -- no TDI models shown

2008 catalog -- Pulse Scan TDI at $1599.95 MSRP

2009 catalog -- Pulse Scan TDI (no price shown)

2014 catalog -- TDI/SL at $1299.95 MSRP

2015 catalog -- TDI/SL at $1299.95 MSRP

2016 catalog -- TDI/SL at $1299.95 MSRP

2017 catalog -- TDI/SL at $1199.95 MSRP (Note: price drop for this year, but back up next year)

2018 catalog -- TDI/SL at $1299.95 MSRP

Apprently the original big box Pulse Scan TDI was discontinued and the Pro introduced (and subsequently discontinued) in those four years that I'm missing (2010-13).  If memory serves me, the Pro cost about the same as its predecessor.  Also, the tan version of the SL as well as the TDI Beach Hunter aren't shown in any of the catalogs I have, so both released after the 2018 catalog??

• Like 1

The Detector Database has production dates for many more recent models. And here is a link to a very good reference for older models. Still gaps though, and using old catalogs is the best way to fill those gaps, as you have done Chuck.

http://www.silysavg.com/private_detector_network/detector_chronology/whites.html

In a nutshell, White's did just the opposite of what I hoped, after I hooked them up with Eric Foster to purchase the rights to the Goldscan. Which is all the TDI is - Eric Fosters Goldscan repackaged.

I thought they would take it to bigger and better things. Instead they watered it down! The excuse was that the old circuit had nowhere serious to go, but now we have Fisher working on the Fisher Impulse, which is really just an updated TDI circuit. Even the TDI SL never reached full potential, as Carl Moreland, the guy behind it, had plans to take it farther than it got.

More on the history of the TDI here

The Pro was aimed more at Australia than the U.S., though you could buy them here.

• Like 3