Whites Sierra Pulse Pro (simplified TDI Sl)

I bought Snakejim's White's Sierra Pulse Pro from the classifieds and got it this afternoon. It was a great deal and the detector is in fantastic shape and works great.

I owned a beige special edition TDI SL for a while and didn't care much for it. 

Somehow, (maybe it's me) the SPP with the Miner Johns folded Mono 9X5 and the little Super 150  are hitting targets that my TDI SL couldn't hit even after doing a battery mod and I was using a NF Sadie on it most of the time. It's a head scratcher.

This SPP is hitting small gold and lead targets that Deus 2 can't hit!!!! I mean, hitting a .1 gram nugget at 2" depth and a .25 gram nugget at 3" in bad dirt is great in my book on just default settings for a simple detector like this.

Sure it is not as sensitive as many hot detectors like the SDC 2300 and GPX 6000, but it's turn on and go and this one anyway runs very quietly at the default settings and only gets an EMI warble when I turn the gain up past default. So far it is way better and more stable and easier to get running than the QED I had for awhile.

It is super lightweight, EMI resistant enough to use in my backyard and is screaming on 6" deep coin sized targets that most detector miss in my test garden.

This should be a really hot relic detector and a backup PI for the Axiom when it is released.

Thanks Jim for offering it through DP Classifieds.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• The title was changed to Whites Sierra Pulse Pro (simplified TDI Sl)

That's really cool Jeff, sounds like it'll do the trick nicely for you especially in high EMI environments, that's where I saw the QED being beneficial but the Sierra Pulse Pro is a very similar machine only by the sounds of it a bit better and of course built better.  I of course knew nothing about the detector, never even heard of it but with it's encyclopedic knowledge DP didn't let me down and gave me this excellent thread about it. 

• Like 1

The one Snakejim sold me looks just like that one.

I don't know how much I would use the big coil. The Miner Johns folded mono and 6" round Mono Super 150 will get lots of use from me for relics and may occasionally get used for gold prospecting areas that have high EMI.

My TDI SL also came with a MJ coil but it was much larger and completely blind to any test targets much below .5 grams from my notes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff McClendon said:

I bought Snakejim's White's Sierra Pulse Pro from the classifieds and got it this afternoon. It was a great deal and the detector is in fantastic shape and works great.

I owned a beige special edition TDI SL for a while and didn't care much for it. 

Somehow, (maybe it's me) the SPP with the Miner Johns folded Mono 9X5 is hitting targets that my TDI SL couldn't hit even after doing a battery mod and I was using a NF Sadie on it most of the time. It's a head scratcher.

This SPP is hitting small gold and lead targets that Deus 2 can't hit!!!! I mean, hitting a .1 gram nugget at 2" depth and a .25 gram nugget at 3" in bad dirt is great in my book on just default settings for a simple detector like this.

Sure it is not as sensitive as many hot detectors like the SDC 2300 and GPX 6000, but it's turn on and go and this one anyway runs very quietly at the default settings and only gets an EMI warble when I turn the gain up past default. So far it is way better and more stable and easier to get running than the QED I had for awhile.

It is super lightweight, EMI resistant enough to use in my backyard and is screaming on 6" deep coin sized targets that most detector miss in my test garden.

This should be a really hot relic detector and a backup PI for the Axiom when it is released.

Thanks Jim for offering it through DP Classifieds.

Jeff, you are most welcome. I very happy it went to a good home and will be appreciated! Best wishes!

It will get lots of use for sure.

thanks Jim!

• Like 1

I have an SPP also (got it from Steve H.) and wish it had the conductivity switch that is on all other TDI's (well, is it on the TDI Beach Hunter?  Don't know about that special use version).  Long ago Steve wrote up a piece about coin hunting (it's still here on the site) with the original Pulse Scan TDI model and he made use of the conductivity switch in that application.  Besides silencing high or low tones (your choice, besides the option of hearing both -- only option on SPP), it also is a bit quieter if you select high or low, according to the manual.

If you happen to get into ground that allows you to leave Ground Balance off, it detects considerably deeper (at least mine does with the 12" mono).  I recall reading that there are circuit variations on the TDI/SL (including the TDI/SPP) which lead to performance differences.  For a simple detector those variations seem to produce complications in some cases.  Still, maybe the most affordable Ground Balancing PI out there.  Works with all GPX compatible mono coils -- a great plus in itself.

• Like 4

I'd  buy one of those in a heartbeat, if it available near me, Jeff. You beat me to Jim's only because I was out of Internet touch for a few days in Wyoming. I knew when I saw the post, I'd be too late....LOL Should have known it would be you...Ha!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The SPP can be upgraded to include the missing conductivity switch, and even the missing pulse delay knob, by anyone with basic electronics skills. The locations are clearly marked on the circuit board, and in the case of the switch you don't even need to know a potentiometer value, like you would for the knob.

• Like 2

This SPP is one of the refurbished ones according to its serial number tag. Maybe it was tweaked…..maybe Carl would know.

Personally, I don’t need the other features that are missing. This SPP will mostly be a relic/fresh water beach detector anyway and a backup/loaner.