Coiltek 10x5 Vs GPX 11in Minelab

I  don't agree with the posts about the coiltek coil being better than the stock 11 inch. Last week i did a test comparing the two coils and found the coiltek no better than the 11 in finding small or any size nuggets.  I went to a patch where i found 18 various size nuggets which i had gridded with the 11, North South and East West. The area i found the nuggets was approximately 80ftx60 ft. I gridded the same area with the Coiltex North South and East West and only found 3 small nuggets that were between two bushes and two rocks that were too narrow for the 11 to go in between. The whole rest of the area didn't produce any targets whatsoever which in my mind shows the Coiltek is not any better than the stock 11 in finding any size nuggets. I go along with that it works good in brushy areas or where you need a narrower coil to find nuggets in tight spots. If you think you're going to find nuggets in beat out patches the only way that is going to happen is if someone else didn't get their coil over them. Of course this is just my opinion after doing my test. Good Luck, Jim

• Like 6

Did I read this correctly, were the targets found with the 11 just marked for the Coiltek to refind, or did you dig them out first when finding them with the 11? Confused because it implied you dug up 18 nuggets with the 11 first.

Seems like it would have been a good test if you just marked the targets without disturbing them on the first go around.

• Like 3

This time I took the time to read his post over again . I come to the conclusion if he would have went over with the Coiltek coil the first time he wouldn’t had to do it again.

Chuck 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Got AU, Yes,detected the patch with the 11 weeks ago and dug up the 18. Ridge Runner, Found the patch weeks ago so didn't have the Coiltek to go over it before the 11. Maybe would have found them all with the Coiltek, but several were quite deeep so who knows. Just saying what i think and not knocking the Coiltek. Jim

oldcoinhunter 

I too is a oldcoinhunter and we all have a right to our own opinion. You one up on me being you do have that elliptical coil from Coiltek.

Please do come back as you get more time with that small coil.

I appreciate your opinion and if you will a little show and tell.

The Best!

Chuck 

• Like 1

I have both coils now too and besides the better ground handling and smoother threshold with the Coiltek, I have not done a sensitivity type of comparison.   In order to do a valid test for that, one would have to try out both coils on the same targets under the same conditions- grid an area with one of the coils marking the found targets, and then grid the same area again with the second coil remarking the found targets. Then dig up the targets measuring what they are, how big, and how deep each was buried.

• Like 6

GotAu, Didn't have the Coiltek when i found that patch. As i said before, anyone expecting to find more gold where they've already gridded with the 6000 and stock 11 coil is going to be disappointed. Hope you get a chance to do what you suggested now that you have both coils. Good Luck, Jim

• Like 1

I think the key to the coil is the shape, not a sensitivity gained.   The size is ideal for rough bedrock hunting where you can stuff the coil in tight places and  bedrock crags.  For open field flat topography, it would be a waste of time, as I also dont see it being much more sensitive than the 11, like you mentioned. And honestly would you want a more sensitive detector.  We gotta leave the vlfs something to find.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, oldcoinhunter said:

GotAu, Didn't have the Coiltek when i found that patch. As i said before, anyone expecting to find more gold where they've already gridded with the 6000 and stock 11 coil is going to be disappointed. Hope you get a chance to do what you suggested now that you have both coils. Good Luck, Jim

Makes sense Jim, sounds like you did a thorough job with the 11 also.

I guess the one thing you could also say is that there were no smaller nuggets there that either coil could have picked up better than the other.

Interesting results though, a nice little patch!

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Coiltek 10x5 Vs GPX 11in Minelab