Coiltek 10x5 Vs GPX 11in Minelab

I have been using the 10x5 in our creeks near me to help in finding good gold bearing ground. I like the way I can go side to side and up the edge of the creek walls better than the 11 inch coil.

I know that the last time I went to a old ball field I was able to get much closer to the chain link fence to find more items to dig without falsing due to the fence. Actually when the fence was about 6 inches above the ground I was able to hunt directly under the fence with no problems.

I do believe that when you are in a different area than where I am at things will be different so I can't say if either coil would be better under those conditions. all I can say is what I have experienced with the small amount of time using the 10x5.

Good luck on your next outing.

• Like 4

On 8/20/2022 at 9:10 AM, strick said:

I believe he is talking about the gpx 6000 10x5 vs 11" not the nox...

After reading further into the post I did see where he had stated the 6000, sorry.

I still believe that the 10x5 will still be better under brush and in some of the hills slopes and crevices.

If there is a place the 11in can't get to the 10x5 should do the job nicely.

• Like 2

To compare undisturbed targets it is hard to decide the method of operation. If there is many undug targets in the selected area it is a bit easier than finding a known target and testing it against the second detector that knows it there. The first one did not have that advantage. When I compare detectors and coils, I detect till one is found and mark it then use the other unit till it finds another one and so on till time runs out. Then compare all the signals with both units for comparison. The reason that I did it this way was I found nuggets that the mate had gone over fairly carefully and missed them, but could detect it when he knew something was there.

• Like 4

I agree with jasong, airtests are useful and done in a controlled environment.  It allows you to see the raw power of each coil. Too many variables doing a test outside of a controlled environment. Once you can see the raw power of each coil and where its hotspots are you’ll have a better understanding on how to use it with the ground involved.   I really don’t understand why people don’t like to see air tests it’s probably the most scientific way.  When you only have limited time and for my matters weekends only, I like to know the raw power of each coil so I can help determine what to buy and what might work.  I don’t have time or money to buy every coil and test it out.

• Like 3

Yes, the 10x5 Coiltek coil works good in areas that are brushy and or rocky by being able to get under or between things. It also is lighter and makes the detector feel better to me. My whole point is that it is not any better than the factory 11 Inch at finding any size gold. I know there is always lots of hype on new releases of detectors and coils, but not the case on this coil. JMO. Good Luck, Jim

• Like 4

There is no doubt for my use the 10x5 is a great addition to my arsenal of coils on the 6000 it’s small size gets it closer to the ground in tight places, it has outstanding edge sensitivity and target recovery is easier and faster than the stock coils or 17” coil without giving up much if anything in depth. It may also have a slight edge over the other mono coils handling EMI, but my 11” runs excellent so for me the difference is minimal in that regard also the shielding on my 6000’s control box is effective I see no difference carrying my cell phone or anything else in any pocket, I carry my phone in my front jeans pocket same side as I detect there is no noticeable interference. My only complaint is no fault of the coil, it’s the tendency to twist more while detecting bumping rocks and bushes and while shoving it under bushes the longer thinner shape acting as a lever against the 6000’s thin round shaft while at the same time making it a little bit more difficult to align just holding it to the ground to straightening it out. With the shaft as tight as I can get, it most time needs my foot against the coil to get that done, the round 11” shape is less a lever and not affected as much and returns to center a bit easier. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, oldcoinhunter said:

Yes, the 10x5 Coiltek coil works good in areas that are brushy and or rocky by being able to get under or between things. It also is lighter and makes the detector feel better to me. My whole point is that it is not any better than the factory 11 Inch at finding any size gold. I know there is always lots of hype on new releases of detectors and coils, but not the case on this coil. JMO. Good Luck, Jim

You're probably right, I haven't noticed any sensitivity improvement, even the depth on the smallest bits is virtually the same, so the usual things you would expect with a smaller coil are not there.  I believe this is due to the stock 11" being semi spiral and the 10x5" being bundle wound so the semi spiral gives the 11" extra sensitivity over if it were bundle.  The 10x5" being bundle keeps up with the 11" though while providing a more stable operation and a great size to use in difficult terrain and the extra stability and better size for that sort of area are it's true advantages and for me that is enough.   Abenson in difficult salty ground reported the 10x5" worked better than the 11", this sounds about right with the bundle being less sensitive to the ground signal.  The other positive to the 10x5" being bundle is it has hotter edges than the 11" so for people like me that tilt the coil to pinpoint there is an advantage there too, and for going up against rocks etc, and the fact the 10x5" doesn't mind going on angles near as much as the 11".

I will add the GPX is certainly no high frequency VLF, even with the 10x5" I went over some bedrock I'd done with the 6000 and 11" and later with the 10x5" Goldhawk then with my Garrett 24k and 6" Concentric coil and I recovered 14 small lead pellets in a small area where according to the GPX there was no targets at all left behind.

If you think about the older GPX 4500/5000 coils, the 14x9" EVO which was fully spiral I felt was able to keep up with or exceed the little bundle wound 8x6" Sadie mono on small gold, we are seeing the same thing here with this 10x5" vs 11" where the larger coil is matching sensitivity to a smaller coil.

For someone hoping to get a bit more sensitivity and depth on small gold I would suggest waiting on the Nugget Finder Xceed 8.5x6" and see how that goes, if the 10x5" seems equal to the 11" the 8.5x6" might have an edge.  I've got one on order so I'll find out soon enough.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• The title was changed to Coiltek 10x5 Vs GPX 11in Minelab