The 17" Xcoil Concentric Coil And Some Ad Hoc Comparisons To Axiom And GPX 6000

Let me reiterate something about this "test".  We never set out to test anything.  We did this because the opportunity came upon us with an undug target in ground that had been thoroughly hunted.  We did this to satisfy our own curiosity and not to prove one detector or coil is better than any other.   We didn't have a stock Z coil, we didn't have a NF aftermarket coil, we had what we brought for an overnight hunt.  We should've or could've is simply not in this equation.  It is what it is your results may vary.   

• Like 6

Looking forward to you guy's thoughts. Good to see another one in use here in the US!

I love that coil myself, but it's a serious bear to use in the salt. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jasong said:

Looking forward to you guy's thoughts. Good to see another one in use here in the US!

I love that coil myself, but it's a serious bear to use in the salt. 

Hey Jason,

We later detected the same area you had joined us for the 6k launch.  We had a short hard rain last night and that ground really got extreme in places.  I tried the Z in the Salt setting plus Difficult for the first time ever.  It quieted the ground, but struggled with a .3 gram test nugget.  Andy ran the new Coiltek 10x5 on the 6k and had no trouble with the salt.  It's always a toss-up, depth, sensitivity, or stability.  

• Like 4

Thanks for the report, Condor. No question the 17cc / GPZ is a powerful combination. However, I wager to say that the 12NF would have also picked up a 4 grammer 1 foot deep, without any problem I am pretty sure. The comparison with the quiet 6k (11 inch?) and Axiom is telling though. The GPZ is fantastic at depth and also has superb ground processing abilities.

GC

Teaser:  Further Testing

We reburied the 4.6 gram nugget and every detector coil combination disappointed.  I don't want to fuel the old "nugget halo" theory, but things changed for the worse for a reburied nugget.  I would have bet money that the 6k could easily find a 4.6 gram nugget at 10 inches.  Again, your results may vary, but I was quite surprised.  

• Like 3

I spent about 15 mins running the 17" spiral when we were there, and that was 15 minutes too long for me. 😄 Good test spot for equipment though, gnarly salt. 

I've wanted to try these CC's in NNV but just haven't had a chance to get back out since that trip I met up with you guys. Even in more mild salt here in the Rockies, I ended up having to switch to the 15" CC to reduce the salt response a bit. And even then, I usually just switch to the chirpy 6000 because it's still less noisy when the soil is wet. But when it's dry enough to use a CC, I've been pretty impressed. Curious to see your experience out there where it's even saltier than here. 

I am also curious how the 17cc performs in general/difficult. I have had several examples with the NF12 where general/difficult punched way deeper than HY/normal in highly minerlaized X laden grounds.

GC

6 minutes ago, Gold Catcher said:

I am also curious how the 17cc performs in general/difficult. I have had several examples with the NF12 where general/difficult punched way deeper than HY/normal in highly minerlaized X laden grounds.

GC

GC,

I experimented with all the settings including General/Difficult over this very salty ground.  It ran OK, but the "Patch Find" helped considerably.  Unfortunately, I couldn't get over another target to really test the response.  N NV deserts are still in the mid 90's, so my testing tolerance was sapped.   I don't leave for OZ until mid Sept, so I'll get out for another couple runs if the weather cooperates.  If you're free, come on out for some testing.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1