Did I Find A Strewn Field?

1 hour ago, jasong said:

I was just kinda curious where the line between "strewn field" and simply widely dispersed fractured pieces is drawn.

Yes, there may be a convention among meteoriticists as to what distribution determines a strewn field.

1 hour ago, jasong said:

If I wasn't prospecting the area currently I'd report it to wherever you report such things.

Waiting a while probably won't hurt things much.  I understand your feeling of responsibility to further knowledge, though -- a kind of individual vs. community dilemma.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jasong said:

Yeah this definitely isn't as big or noteworthy as the Gold Basin. Ive detected around the area enough to know basically where it stops and I don't think it's much bigger than 5 square miles, that might be overestimating too.

I think you underestimate the size of the Gold Basin Strewn Field.  One of the best places still left to find meteorites is in the National Recreation Area.  Some of the meteorite hunters went on the north side of Lake Meade just before they made that area off limits and they found a main mass weighing several pounds that was in two pieces.  I saw it sitting on the table when they had the gathering at the 20th anniversary.  It was only found about 3 years ago.

1 hour ago, mn90403 said:

I think you underestimate the size of the Gold Basin Strewn Field.  One of the best places still left to find meteorites is in the National Recreation Area.  Some of the meteorite hunters went on the north side of Lake Meade just before they made that area off limits and they found a main mass weighing several pounds that was in two pieces.  I saw it sitting on the table when they had the gathering at the 20th anniversary.  It was only found about 3 years ago.

You misunderstood my comment. I meant my strewn field is no bigger than 5 square miles, not Gold Basin.

Trust me, I am familiar with the extent of the Gold Basin strewn field. I literally lived in it...and I know the finder you are talking about as well as exactly where it came from.

• Like 1