Need ID Help

9 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

Grandfather had a set closer to it, but they were clothes pins that were still on a clothes line. The line went through the top of the pin above the clasp.

I think the hole would be to small for a clothes line. The mystery continues.

t4.thumb.jpg.fe6d8897b56bdd3fd70fad4e0b0f32b2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's pretty fancy for the area and time frame. If there were two of them with a chain connecting them, they could have been used to hold a sweater or shawl together or even an opera cape.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Glenn in CO said:

PAT. APD F01

"Patent applied for?"

It's pretty decorative (as well as utilitarian) so I'm leaning towards those who think it is something worn as part of clothing, etc.

• Like 3

Hi, this looks like the clip that keeps a ladies dress folds held up off the ground - so similar idea to the grip for a cape already suggested. I've completely forgotten the actual phrase that describes these things (so no useful internet links), but having found a few broken pieces of these from c1880 - c1910ish sites, from the period of fashionably puffed out and masses of material dresses that would need some adjustment dependent on the wearer etc. The loop (which would be to the top) hanging from like a waist chord or belt (hidden inside the folds of the dress so not seen from the outside).

That's what this little thing looks like.

• Like 5

On 8/23/2022 at 11:24 AM, Glenn in CO said:

I think the hole would be to small for a clothes line. The mystery continues.

Yes you are correct on that as I did not know how thick it was.

I believe someone else is correct when they stated that it was used for clothing to keep them held together.

The item that grandfather had was sold off to an antique dealer and they were much thicker. So I am sorry for not being able to show a picture of it. I was told that there were 12 clips with some rope or leather that they were on.

Good luck on finding out what they are.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

HI, it's a 'skirt lifter' - it sounds dramatic and possibly something you might get arrested for talking about, but that's the phrase I couldn't remember. Luckily Wikipedia has a write up, but a general Google search on Victorian Skirt Lifter will bring up a variety of pictures - some simple, some more ornate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skirt_lifter 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Stu said:

it's a 'skirt lifter'

Nailed it.  Here are some images of many -- Glenn, maybe you'll find the exact one.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That's as unusual as the "chatelaine" I dug. Great job all. 👍

• Like 1