GPX 6000 Emi Test

9 hours ago, WesD said:

Interesting, mine goes crazy too, when set on the ground, but I always assumed it was because the coil was no longer being held perfectly level with the ground. 

This here is part of the problem I'm having trouble understanding. Is it normal operation? Does this not happen to anyone? Most 6000's I've used or been around do this to some degree - worse in some areas than other areas. I can't tell if this is supposed to be normal, or if this is indicative of a problem since so many other 6000's have the same issue. 

My coil is flat on the ground when I set my detector down though, same as if I were detecting. Just force of habit, since I need to run the scoop over it for target recovery.

In my case the problem arises and gets worse because it does this when detecting too, otherwise I could just ignore it if it only happened on the ground. It seems to depend highly on location, some places purr along like a dream and other locations make the 6000 lose stability every 5 minutes, just as if I had set it on the ground.

2 hours ago, Jennifer said:

Mine was doing this as well, yours as well ?@jasong

Mine isn't quite that bad. That video sounds like a bad coil or a board/connection fault?

36 minutes ago, jasong said:

some places purr along like a dream and other locations make the 6000 lose stability every 5 minutes, just as if I had set it on the ground.

Same here Jason, I think thats just the nature of the beast??  Here in CA Motherload country, some areas just drive it into fits from some unknown emi. When its running smooth though, its a killer detector for cleaning up on the small bread and butters. No way would I sell, but if Minelab had a fix, it sure would be appreciated!

• Like 1

I'm back home now, I uploaded the videos I was going to post a week or two ago but decided to wait until I could get a Coiltek and see if it helps before uploading them, now I've gotten the Coiltek and it doesn't help. I'm going to post them here now both so people can see what I'm talking about just in case we all have slightly different problems, and also so I can give the ML guys a link to everything in one place if they want to take a look.

These were all shot on the same day, 3 different locations. The 6000 works just fine. Until it doesn't. The location seems to affect things greatly. But even sometimes in the same location it will be erratic. For every location it works great, there is another location it's unusable in.

For reference, here is my 6000 running great, in a location it always seems to run just fine no matter how many times I revisit. I am always in Auto+, no threshold mode. If it always ran like this, it would be my favorite detector to use by a huge margin. Smooth as butter, other than a few EMI blips here and there. Totally acceptable. 

Conversely, not even very far away, it does this constantly, even when detecting and not just setting the detector down. I can't detect here at all because every 5 minutes it loses total stability like you hear in this next video.

(apologies for heavy breathing, it was 100 degrees out and I was just digging through clay hardpack).

3rd location, running smooth for an hour. I set the detector down to film just how stable it was in certain locations, even while setting the detector down, which leads me to believe my detector has no faults, the 6000 just has a shielding/EMI problem in general by design.

But as if on cue, I turned my phone back off to get back to detecting and as I bent to pick my 6000 up, it decided to go absolutely crazy in the same place! Even though it had been perfectly fine for an hour. It stayed crazy after a few noise cancels and I had to stop detecting there and leave, I was about to crack the freaking thing over my knee because I already had to stop detecting the other area earlier due to EMI and I'm tired of wasting so much time and gas just to find another place the detector won't work.

So I turned my phone back on and took this video. (apologies, not sure why it is forcing portrait mode here)

Yet some days, in some locations, I can detect all day with no problems.

It just seems like there is some design/build flaw with the 6000's in general, and it isn't obvious until you get into places that just happen to have whatever frequencies really mess with the 6000. I was doing great in Arizona most places, aside from a few spots where I thought my coil was going bad but I now know it was just this shielding/location problem.

If I get out again I'll take a video of my phone interfering with the control box when off, just so people don't think I'm crazy saying it. But I'm back in town and working for a week or two now.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 3
  • Oh my! 1

That's similar to how mine behaved, I would do a factory reset and have it working then out of nowhere it was going nutty again! It sucks yours isn't the coil as it appears mine was as I haven't had the problem once since switching to the Coiltek and even my replacement 11" doesn't appear to do it either so far.  I guess same symptoms, different fault or at least different problem.

• Like 1

Yeah Simon, I really thought from your videos and explanation of your issue and after your coil fixed it that mine would be fixed too, I thought we had the same problem. I was actually pretty sure of it. Enough so that I decided to forget entirely about the Axiom since I was sure a coil would fix me up too.

I mean, I guess I could have really bad luck and maybe my Coiltek is bad too? That would be crazy... But it does have knock sensitivity and I don't see anyone else reporting that, so I guess...maybe? Man, just too many variables. 

I'd love to send it in to the shop for repair, but if I did that with the coil it would have been 1 month of wasted time because I don't think my coil is bad. And then another month to send the control box in now, and that kills off my high altitude detecting season because snow will be there shortly after I'd get my control box back, and lose a whole year. So I'm just trying to plow ahead and hope it works in enough places to get my work done that I need to do, then send this thing off to the shop for repair or whatever.

• Sad 2

Sorry it's panned out this way Jason, I was really hoping yours had the same problem as mine.  I'm actually finally quite happy with mine now.  While it's not my preferred detector at least it's behaving how it should for what it is.

• Like 1

That's good yours is working now at least. Honestly, I think the 6000 is a great detector when it works. 

The fact that you can set yours onto the ground now and it doesn't freak out gives me some hope that something can be fixed. So, I'm just going to wait and see what the ML guys say, I've done everything I can to try to diagnose it and I'm out of ideas now. Luckily I'm stuck in town drywalling and painting for a while, so I have time to wait right now.

• Like 1

Lets hope Minelab can sort all these 6000 problems out. I would like to get one, but! don't want to go through all the problem you are going through. And now another one in Australia!

Jason that is the same problem that a friend had. Last year three of us with GPX 6000’s met up for a week of detecting in the Eugene’s off of Jungo Rd.

His detector was new out of the box. It would work and then go crazy just like your detector does. We tried different coils and batteries from the other two detectors. Each combination would work then go crazy again.

Since I had my GPZ 7000 as a backup I used it and let him use my 6000 for the week.

Minelab replaced his detector and the new one works fine.

It’s time to send yours in for a new one.

Chet 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Chet said:

Jason that is the same problem that a friend had. Last year three of us with GPX 6000’s met up for a week of detecting in the Eugene’s off of Jungo Rd.

His detector was new out of the box. It would work and then go crazy just like your detector does. We tried different coils and batteries from the other two detectors. Each combination would work then go crazy again.

Since I had my GPZ 7000 as a backup I used it and let him use my 6000 for the week.

Minelab replaced his detector and the new one works fine.

It’s time to send yours in for a new one.

Chet 

Ok thanks for the input/reference Chet.

I guess the issue for me is that all the other 6000's around me acted the same way, so I assumed this was normal to all 6000's. And weirdly it was much better in Arizona this winter, so I assumed it was just location specific and not unique to my machine. If this isn't normal there must be some larger scale problem for all the 6000's around me to also have the same issue...

I'll have to wait until it snows to send it in though, got too much work left to do in very steep terrain that I just can't use the 7000 in without killing my elbow that I seem to have damaged permanently now. The repair shop is taking 1 month turnaround for everyone I know that sent theirs in so far. 

• Sad 1