Random Thoughts Garrett Axiom, Minelab GPX 6000 Goldhawk Coil And XP Deus Recent Gold Hunt

good job on the gold and the video!!!   Drives me nuts to see that flat open ground down there, I wouldn't know how to act!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Good to see the Axiom running in a video other than marketing videos.  Looks great!

You did well on the nuggets too.  I agree with your assessment of the Goldhawk 10x5".

• Like 1

5 hours ago, oneguy said:

good job on the gold and the video!!!   Drives me nuts to see that flat open ground down there, I wouldn't know how to act!

Yeah oneguy I know where your coming from, my backyards not easy to work but the pro counteracts this con, few like working it. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the video, Andy.  Did the rain shower affect the detecting (activating the salt)?  Didn't look like your diggings showed the telltale red hue of damp soil.

You initially showed the ML Equinox with 5"x10" Coiltek NOX.  Did you end up doing any searching with that?

• Like 1

Yes Chuck the damp soil did cause problems and made the detectors more noisy. The rain didn't last long though so only the top 1/2 of soil was wet. However the GoldHawk coil handled it very well.

I only used the Equinox for about 30 minutes as the wet soil was really causing a lot of coil knock. The Deus 2 actually handled the salt better with the new update and 9" coil.

• Like 1

Using Deus 2 ground notch in Goldfield, does one have to weigh the risk of missing legitimate targets within the notched range of target IDs?

At least where I often detect, the two notch areas are the absolute lowest target ID on Deus -6.4 and Equinox -9 for eliminating excessive ground noise and around the ferrous/non-ferrous tone break for some hot rocks. Those are two places where lots of nuggets ID due to size, depth and iron mineralization.

• Like 3

Thanks so much for the trouble you went through to have us along with you while nugget hunting.

Great video!

Chuck 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Using Deus 2 ground notch in Goldfield, does one have to weigh the risk of missing legitimate targets within the notched range of target IDs?

At least where I often detect, the two notch areas are the absolute lowest target ID on Deus -6.4 and Equinox -9 for eliminating excessive ground noise and around the ferrous/non-ferrous tone break for some hot rocks. Those are two places where lots of nuggets ID due to size, depth and iron mineralization.

Yea definitely a risk in using notch in goldfield, especially for the really small nuggets. In that ground a .20 gram or smaller nugget is virtually invisible to any VLF I've used at 1". The response on the Equinox is in the negative numbers and on the Deus 2 anywhere from 00 to 11 or so. On one of my past videos I dug a .50 gram nugget with the D2 at about 3 inches and it really struggled to even tell there was something there. If one wants to dig everything they could score a few small ones. But to me it's not worth it. The 6000 will easily get the smaller nuggets at twice the depth as either the Equinox or D2.

When I use a V:LF in that particular area I accept the fact that the nuggets are going to have to be bigger and closer the the surface for me to detect them. So where the trash is unbearable that's were I'll pull out the VLF's. As you can see in this last video the .40 gram nugget I found in the trash was virtually on the surface.

• Like 7

Thanks for the reply Andy and for the excellent video!!!!!

• Like 1