Snow On Them Hills, Road Closed And A New Deus

Went to the gold show in Placerville and have to say, if you have not had the chance to attend one of these you must place this on your bucket list... Really informative, as expected Chris's and Steve programs were fantastic and well worth the investment in just their presentations alone and all the other programs were excellent as well. 

One word of caution, the vendors can't be trusted... When I first went into the show my bank account was in good order, after only two short days my wallet was several thousand dollars lighter, I did at least manage to procure a new Deus in the struggle and later on Pat Keene gave me a hand dragging the remainder of my booty to the car.

thats the other great thing, lots and lots of cool stuff... And all the vendors are actually great, they took all my money and I thanked them very much as the deals at the show were good and everyone was very helpful.

for those who like to hunt in the high Sierra, I took a chance and drove up into the high country to see how the snow was melting, I know it was a long shot this year but I had other places to check out so I took the drive anyway. Just past the sardine lake turnoff the highway was covered in snow drifts, after just making it through the second drift and seeing much more ahead l gave up and turned around for other country.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 7

Pretty country - thanks for the pics.

Let us know what you think of the Deus.

Normally Gold Lake road isn't open until Memorial day. Of course in real dry years its open earlier or even year round. But this was a normal snow year, so figure in time for the memorial day weekend, Now just because Gold Lake road in open, the side roads into the back country will not necessarily be open. Figure all those will be open in late June or early July. The snow in the high country lingers.......

• Like 3

being patient isn't one of my strong points, I think its the ADD... last year was good except for the severe drought conditions and all, but great for being outdoors doing stuff. guess I've got no choice, time is passing very slow, got back late last night spent the last few days hunting the area around forrest hill in some amazing looking ground, I found a little old trash, round balls, boot tacks and stuff, sadly no nuggets this trip. the signals were fairly far apart for this part of gold country, so I have to guess their is still something to find, but its been hit pretty hard as well.

Gold lake area is the place my grand parents used to have a cabin when i was a kid, the cabin is still there right off gold lake highway its the first cabin in a little group just past the salmon lake turnoff in the area called lusk meadows. I guess these were used during the gold rush hay day in the area. we would out there for a couple of weeks to fish the salmon lakes every year in June when school let out and there was still always some snow on the ground, some snow on the buttes remained year round.

I love the Deus, the package they put this thing in is one of the main reasons i picked it... so stealth. the combination I started with is the 11 inch coil and the smaller wireless headphones, figuring the new high frequency coil would be my small coil and then the 11 would be more useful later on. if everything else about this detector is even just on par with the average good unit I'm going to be very happy, but it is so much more adaptable than my SST (one knob one switch), that it will take me a little time to completely understand this machine, but in the little I've used it so far i think this learning journey is going to be fun.

• Like 5

I was up there recently and the water was coming off the hills from the snow melt. but was still able to get back to a claim. river was running fast too.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...