New To Hobby, Have Some Questions

Welcome everyone! 

New to this hobby. I just recently aquired my grandfathers old detector that he bought new back in 2003(ish?). It's a Whites 5900/Di Pro model. He got sick around the time he bought it, and never used it. Its been in its case ever since. Just pulled it out today and other than the battery box, it looks like it's brand new. Im trying to get any info from people that actually used this model might have. As mentioned, the only issue that I can see is the battery box. The batteries that were in there were there since he purchased it and they were (to say the least) verrrrrrrry nasty. 

Appreciate any help!

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum. Lot of Whites users here that should give you some good pointers.

Visit the Detector Database at the top of this forum's header. You will find a lot of information. That is still a good detector.

Or just do a search on the model right in this website.

If you got to “AHRPS” website…..Monte will chime in big time for you.

Welcome to the forum👍.  Just a little food for thought on cleaning the battery box.  If the white vinegar method does not produce the desired results may I suggest a solution of baking soda.  I have used a baking soda solution successfully to clean corroded battery compartments.  The solution I use is 1 level teaspoon of baking soda in one cup of warm water, mixed together (dissolved) in a glass or plastic container. When batteries leak they emit an acid.  The goal is to find something that will neutralize the acid.  A chemical base will neutralize the acid and baking soda is a very mild chemical base and will accomplish the task.  For small areas or tight spaces I dip a cotton swab into the solution and rub it onto the affected area.  Multiple swabs may be needed for larger projects.  You may notice some bubbling as the baking soda solution neutralizes the acid.  These bubbles are the harmless gas carbon dioxide, the same gas that we exhale.  When the surface is relatively clean I dry it with a cloth or let it air dry.  If there is a lot of corrosion, then it may be necessary to repeat the cleaning process and also let the baking soda solution sit on the affected area for a half hour or so during each cleaning cycle to accomplish its task.  Hope this helps and best wishes with you metal detector.

• Like 4

On 8/24/2022 at 10:40 PM, Cascade Steven said:

Welcome to the forum👍.  Just a little food for thought on cleaning the battery box.  If the white vinegar method does not produce the desired results may I suggest a solution of baking soda.  I have used a baking soda solution successfully to clean corroded battery compartments.  The solution I use is 1 level teaspoon of baking soda in one cup of warm water, mixed together (dissolved) in a glass or plastic container. When batteries leak they emit an acid.  The goal is to find something that will neutralize the acid.  A chemical base will neutralize the acid and baking soda is a very mild chemical base and will accomplish the task.  For small areas or tight spaces I dip a cotton swab into the solution and rub it onto the affected area.  Multiple swabs may be needed for larger projects.  You may notice some bubbling as the baking soda solution neutralizes the acid.  These bubbles are the harmless gas carbon dioxide, the same gas that we exhale.  When the surface is relatively clean I dry it with a cloth or let it air dry.  If there is a lot of corrosion, then it may be necessary to repeat the cleaning process and also let the baking soda solution sit on the affected area for a half hour or so during each cleaning cycle to accomplish its task.  Hope this helps and best wishes with you metal detector.

It wasn't as bad as i'd have expected for 16 year old batteries, but it was still pretty gnarly. 

• Like 1