Greetings From Saddlebrooke, Az (near Tucson)

Az_Ed

Hello,

I just found this forum and it has a lot of interesting activity.  I like to detect in remote places for nuggets and anything else.  Lately I've been locating near some old abandoned mines in the Old Hat Mining District of Arizona south of Oracle.  If anyone is interested in 4-wheel driving and hiking into some remote old mining areas to do some detecting please message me.   I'm a member of the GPAA and the Desert Gold Diggers of Tucson.   Ed.

P1210213.JPG

• Like 8

You sure have some interesting territory to explore.

Welcome!

• Like 1

Thank you JCR.  The mining history of the Old Hat mining district in Pinal county Arizona is most interesting.  Some of the mines I'm hoping to locate are:  Van Ricken claims, Old Maudina mine, Dead Bull mine, Southern Belle mine, Gold Channel Placer, Campo Bonito, and others.  It looks like the historical record begins at about 1880.  There are even reports of a Spanish mission and some sort of mining camp in the area.  It might be interesting to detect the dumps where old stamp mills were used.

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum and I for one will be waiting to hear of some of your stories. Please include a few pictures of your finds to go along with them and I am sure that others will enjoy it also.

Good luck and good hunting, stay safe out there.

• Like 2

Welcome aboard Az_Ed !

Interesting pic and list of places you're looking for .

I'm a little too far away right now , but I'd definitely go with ya if I was back in Tucson  .

I lived there for a while in '82 (3rd just off Speedway) but it was before I bought my first detector.....

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies.  I will get photos of anything interesting I find.  I'm likely going out again early tomorrow morning.  Attached is a photo looking SE down the Southern Belle wash (canyon).  We are having a lengthy monsoon season so the desert is very green.  The upper wash has enough water in it at this time to run a sluice box.  Ed

P1210216.JPG

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Az_Ed said:

We are having a lengthy monsoon season so the desert is very green.

That's southern Arizona??!!

Welcome to the forum, Ed!  You probably know this, but make sure to look into whether a site is claimed before removing any minerals.  There are some decent GPAA claims near you.  Kevin Hoagland hangs out down there (don't know if he lives in AZ now) so he's acquired some decent spots for the GPAA in that area.

• Like 1

Thanks GB, your suggestion is valid.  The Tucson Desert Gold Diggers club has two claims in the wash, Bruiser 2 and Bruiser 3.  I'm a member of this club.  Researching land ownership and claim history is confusing.  Mylandmatters.com shows ownership records that are obsolete or not up to date.  Pinal county assessor office ownership records appear accurate.  The areas I'm searching are either owned by USFS or YMCA of Tucson.  Someone must have donated a lot of acreage to the YMCA which has a youth camp nearby.

• Like 5

• 2 months later...
On 8/24/2022 at 4:21 PM, Az_Ed said:

Hello,

I just found this forum and it has a lot of interesting activity.  I like to detect in remote places for nuggets and anything else.  Lately I've been locating near some old abandoned mines in the Old Hat Mining District of Arizona south of Oracle.  If anyone is interested in 4-wheel driving and hiking into some remote old mining areas to do some detecting please message me.   I'm a member of the GPAA and the Desert Gold Diggers of Tucson.   Ed.

P1210213.JPG

Just came across your post I live in Oracle, if you ever want someone to go out with you let me know

I also sent you a PM

• Like 1

Hi Don,  Thanks for the PM.  I replied with my contact info.  Ed, Saddlebrooke, AZ