A Tip On Legend & Iron

Hi guys, I would like to ask for a little advice. 
The legend after the 1.09 update I admit has improved a lot, however, I would like to submit a question.

In my areas, on soils of the Italian peninsula, often the good targets are very deep, and therefore sound iron, until I go to open the hole for a few cm.

Obviously given this peculiarity I keep the iron tone very high, even at 10.

What I wanted to understand well is this: the IF, should it then be set close to 1? From what I am beginning to understand, using the instrument, is that a low Iron Filter sounds better even iron objects, and as I get closer to 8 I lose this characteristic, which I need so much though.

At this point, do you also have any advice on how best to set St? Just to hear some opinions from more experts than me.

In the meantime I'll leave you with a nice picture of the last outing here in the central Apennines.

appcent - Copia.jpg

• Like 2

That is some beautiful scenery & has an deep history feel to it.

On the Legend Iron Filter & Stability adjustment, you are correct. At higher settings the detector will tend to call weak/mixed targets as iron. As the settings are lowered, the detector will favor the non ferrous response more & more. Not calling it iron as quickly. The big steps of Iron Filter & the small steps of Stability give you a very precise adjustment of this response. Remember the IF is only adjustable in multifrequency, single frequency operation is set to 8.  The difficulty is learning how much falseing a site's conditions will give & how well You can interpret the tricky signals. The more experienced/in tune your ear is, the lower you can adjust. The big iron is easier than small bits to tell. Listen for broken audio & wide TID spread as you rotate on the target. Size it out with Pin point. Watch the Ferro Check, if it is less than 2 bars Ferrous it is worth investigating.

I do not try to have zero or even a minimum of falses. I try to find the level of falsing that I can interpret with confidence. If I am on a new site, I am going to set it low, say 2.3 & see how it does on tricky signals. After careful interrogation & digging of several of these tricky signals, I will have a good idea of all of my settings. Not just IF & stability, but Recovery, Sensitivity, and all the rest. I also try to run the Recovery as low as possible, often @1 or 2 & scan slow if searching for deep targets. Even in heavy iron trash, Recovery @ 3 is plenty fast with careful coil control and gives the detector a fuller look at the target. Try to keep your first Tone Break around 8 & the Iron tone bin volume loud enough to hear well. 60 tone paints a good picture of what is under the coil. The most Disc i ever use is G, but usually A.  Ground moisture seems to play a big role in the amount of false signals. Maintaining a good Ground Balance is important too.

Dig enough iffy targets to know your not missing much. The Legend will alert on some amazing masked targets is set up right.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, JCR said:

That is some beautiful scenery & has an deep history feel to it.

On the Legend Iron Filter & Stability adjustment, you are correct. At higher settings the detector will tend to call weak/mixed targets as iron. As the settings are lowered, the detector will favor the non ferrous response more & more. Not calling it iron as quickly. The big steps of Iron Filter & the small steps of Stability give you a very precise adjustment of this response. Remember the IF is only adjustable in multifrequency, single frequency operation is set to 8.  The difficulty is learning how much falseing a site's conditions will give & how well You can interpret the tricky signals. The more experienced/in tune your ear is, the lower you can adjust. The big iron is easier than small bits to tell. Listen for broken audio & wide TID spread as you rotate on the target. Size it out with Pin point. Watch the Ferro Check, if it is less than 2 bars Ferrous it is worth investigating.

I do not try to have zero or even a minimum of falses. I try to find the level of falsing that I can interpret with confidence. If I am on a new site, I am going to set it low, say 2.3 & see how it does on tricky signals. After careful interrogation & digging of several of these tricky signals, I will have a good idea of all of my settings. Not just IF & stability, but Recovery, Sensitivity, and all the rest. I also try to run the Recovery as low as possible, often @1 or 2 & scan slow if searching for deep targets. Even in heavy iron trash, Recovery @ 3 is plenty fast with careful coil control and gives the detector a fuller look at the target. Try to keep your first Tone Break around 8 & the Iron tone bin volume loud enough to hear well. 60 tone paints a good picture of what is under the coil. The most Disc i ever use is G, but usually A.  Ground moisture seems to play a big role in the amount of false signals. Maintaining a good Ground Balance is important too.

Dig enough iffy targets to know your not missing much. The Legend will alert on some amazing masked targets is set up right.

Thanks JCR, when you mean 'tone break to 8' do you mean that you discriminate in custom mode up to 8, or that you activate the iron tone up to 8?
Thanks

Iron tone 1-7; breaks to next tone at 8. This deals with any down averaging of good targets from nearby iron or heavy minerals at depth. I rarely use any Disc, but the Legend is not badly hampered if you do. It seems to be very precise & recovers quickly.

• Like 2