New Minelab Manticore

Sheppo

7 minutes ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

I seem to remember reading that Steve H was no longer working for overseas detector companies. I also seem to remember him mentioning a long time ago that the Equinox was intended as a mid-line ML detector to test the viability of their new Multi-IQ SMF technology at that time, and that a flagship model was in the works. Or maybe I just dreamed that.

Could the Manicore be the result of advancements in their Multi-IQ R&D and creating the new Multi-IQ+?

So much speculating and so little time... I've already seen a Manticore listing ("out of stock") on an online detector dealer's site.

If I read on a site something that said "out of stock" , on an item that was never available for stock in the 1st place , not a yet released , I would not trust that site.

• Like 1

Apologies to Minelab for using an old New England technique to illustrate skepticism by misnaming something or someone. I didn't correct the "typo" because the image you post is exactly the image I had in my head. 😀

This is the 5th major release I've seen over two years of detecting. I'm probably the Meerkat on the left. 🤣

• Haha 2

If it's stock coil is 15" I'd be happy, I want a deeper detector, the deeper the better for me! If they've made this beast have CTX silver ID and depth I guess I waited way too long to buy a CTX as now I'll want to replace it already 😛

I hope they've left gold modes on it and not saving that for the Gold Monster 2000.  That would cause me some misery.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ShintoSunrise said:

Has @Steve Herschbach commented on this development yet? I seem to remember him being intimately involved with testing of Equinox, and his absence here makes me skeptical that this is a high end machine capable of replacing that product line. I'm getting less "Equinox 1000" vibes and more "Vanguish plus"

Looks like a nice detector that will fit neatly into the hole left in the Minelab product line, by the now departed $1549 E-TRAC. If it hits that price point, it will be an apples to apples competitor for the $1599 DEUS II. I took the D2 for a spin, but with 90% or more of my detecting hours being behind a PI, I decided to just be happy with Equinox, and to do my best to ignore any new VLF tech that comes along. Which is what I am doing with Manticore.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

and to do my best to ignore any new VLF tech that comes along. Which is what I am doing with Manticore.

The question is will you resist 🙂 You were not going to take the Deus 2 for a spin and you couldn't resist!!  I resisted and quite proud of myself for that.  I've resisted every new VLF lately but I'm going to struggle to resist this one and I really love multi-IQ detectors, it's almost like cheating using one here in my soils with their ID stability.

• Like 1

If this latest offering really is an improvement on the Equinox then Minelab will be on another winner.. But if the closeness in performance of the Equinox, Deus II and Legend is a pinnacle of what is possible to squeeze out of vlf technology, than it'll probably be just another ring-in.. (and it won't catch on because of its crappy name).. 😁  

The large coil looks great, as a beach hunter I hope this is the smallest coil in the Manticore's range.. 😁  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I got 1.8 ounces in my last three days of detecting. Would you be interested in playing with VLF detectors instead of doing that?

Excellent, I see your point, no I wouldn't touch a VLF in that situation 🙂  Congratulations on the gold by the way, that's awesome.