New Minelab Manticore

Sheppo

1 hour ago, King-Of-Bling said:

It looks like they've solved the obvious problems we have suffered on the beach with this thing. But I'm really interested in the internal guts. Looks like the numbers will be spread out more. But the numbers have always been a bit jumpy. Other than the solid line targets away from all the trash , those are easy. But I recall being possibly the 1st to talk about digging a -5 and pulling out a honker gold ring from 16" deep. It read normal once out of the ground. People slaughtered me for that , calling me a liar. I didn't care and thought more for me ! Eventually more started chiming in with the same results. Bottomline was I still ended up digging about 90% of my targets. Not much different than my PI. I sure hope this new ML has some amazing new technology. 

It's interesting that you mentioned the -5 readings you were getting. It's a common thing that I find here in our black sand polluted beaches. I'll get a deep non-ferrous reading (sometimes a pretty sketchy one), take a big scoop, resweep the target and get a -5, -6. Lots of people I know would figure it's deep rusty iron and refill the hole. Not me.... I continue to dig until the target is out of the ground. Almost all the time it's a non-ferrous target once out and on the surface. 

• Like 1

The specs look pretty good to me so far. We'll have to see how they pan out. They just added 6 feet to the underwater rating. That in itself indicates they've done something to improve the waterproofness. 10 preset and 10 user programs are welcome too, as well as the enhanced EMI rejection.....which is really becoming a problem in some areas with powerful WiFi signals. I guess we'll have to wait until the other shoe drops to get a price.....

• Like 3

Specs breakdown commentary in bold italics.

MANTICORE High Power Metal Detector

LATEST DETAILS JUST RELEASED

Our most powerful detector yet, Manticore finds targets faster, more clearly, and in even the most challenging environments. With impressive capabilities and technologies, nothing will go undetected. More effective than even the most high-end models in the market, Manticore brings power, precision and accuracy to detecting in a way that wasn’t previously possible.

Lots of words without much info.

MULTI IQ+:  Minelab’s revolutionary technology has 50% more power than traditional models and is the highest-powered simultaneous multi-frequency machine on the market.

Typical ambiguous marketing stuff.  And that means what exactly?  Power used?  Power transmitted? Hope if its transmit power it can be turned down in high mineralization.  Does that mean the battery will run down sooner?  Comparing how much power a vlf "has"  is really somewhat meaningless without specifics.  SMF by its very nature needs more Tx power in the first place just to achieve the same depth penetration as "traditional" models.  Saying it's the "highest" is also meaningless without giving any  power units or magnitude.  

FAST RESPONSE:  Identify your targets quickly and confidently to efficiently sort between trash and treasure with exceptional target separation performance.

Good, that's expected nowadays.

POWERFUL 2D ID MAP:  Identify your targets with greater visual and audible target insights.

Like it.  Can't wait to hear details.

ENHANCED DISCRIMINATION: Exceptionally accurate target ID allows you to accept or reject finds quickly and confidently.

Sort of a repeat of the previous bullet.  Really want to hear about its ability to ID iron/not false.

WIRELESS AUDIO: Clearly detect with audio controls set specifically for you in order to identify targets confidently, reduce noise and identify trash.

Like it.  Details would be nice, including whether they are sticking with Greytooth APTX-Low Latency or moving back to proprietary wireless.

ULTIMATE SEARCH MODES: Over 10+ preset search modes allow you to set the stage for success, with the ability to customize up to 10 unique modes tailored to your specific needs.

10 truly discrete search modes?  How many SMF variations (not just user settings variations)?  Are gold modes provided? SF settings?

UNRIVALLED CONSTRUCTION & WATERPROOF: Powerful yet lightweight, Manticore weighs only 1.3 kg (2.9 lbs.) and includes a three-piece, compact Carbon-Fibre shaft system. Waterproof up to 16 ft (5 m).

Certainly not rivaled by the Nox, hopefully.  Hmm...Weighs as much as Nox or maybe is 1 oz lighter at best (2.9 vs 2.96 lbs) despite the CF shaft and stem.

INTUITIVE CONTROL: The large LCD panel allows for easy viewing and clear navigation control.

Like it.

BOOSTED EMI IMMUNITY: In challenging environments, improved EMI rejection uses higher sensitivity to isolate targets.

We'll see.

CHOICE OF COILS: Comes with the M11 (11" Round Double-D coil) and choose
from M8 (8"x5.5" Elliptical Double-D) and M15 (15"x12" Elliptical Double-D) coils.

Liking the M8 (M10 would be better but I'll take it over a 6" round any day)

LIGHTING & VIBRATION: Detect even when the sun goes down with features such as Control Box Flashlight, Display Backlight with Auto Adjust, Backlit Keypad and Handgrip Vibration.

Cute.

CLEAR AUDIO: Built in external speaker allows for crystal-clear audio and comes with Low Latency Wireless Headphones.

You don't say? See my wireless audio comment above.

BUILT TO LAST: A three-year warranty with software upgrade capability allows detection far into the future.

I would expect no less.

Overall - not a lot of solid content. 2D TID is a welcome nod to it's FBS2 ancestors. Liking the small elliptical coil (hopefully if will be available at launch).  Screen and nav controls are a welcome addition.  Would have liked to have heard more about the modes, if nothing else, what they are called and how will they be grouped.  Seems solid, though not ground breaking unlike the game changing Nox at release, and I hope I don't miss the release because I'm out detecting.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Dan(NM) said:

CHOICE OF COILS: Comes with the M11 (11" Round Double-D coil) and choose
from M8 (8"x5.5" Elliptical Double-D) and M15 (15"x12" Elliptical Double-D) coils.

That’s more like it. Comes with 11” coil, and I can choose a 5.5” x 8” as a second coil right off the bat. No waiting a year for one of my favorite coil sizes.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, NAGANT said:

$1599   

Terrible video (turn your phone, that's why they invented 16:9 ratios!!!), but some nuggets from the ML rep. Expanded frequency range, likely where the + comes in on their MultiIQ+ moniker. 

If you read into what their saying it sounds like it has more power (increased depth as per them),  more accurate target ID (which some complained about on the Equinox) faster, lighter and looks to have much better build quality. 

We can speculate about it all day long, but none of it means anything until we get our hands on one.  Don't count on any aftermarket coils anytime soon, the ML rep said the coils on this, like the Equinox, have electronics in them as well.  

• Like 3

The YouTube video posted above of the Q&A session had some good details…..100 digit target ID scale for sure, the Minelab Chief engineer said absolutely that it has “Target Trace”, that Manticore is a reworking, remodeling with enhancement of the Equinox 600/800 and Manticore will only come as one model. Those are a few bits of information along with the $1599 USD price.