New Minelab Manticore

Sheppo

9 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

So, in four years, do you think the worlds best metal detector engineering team could improve on what they did with Equinox?

Wish they could have made it more than just 1 oz lighter.  But that gives them license to say lighter than Nox, at least.  :laugh:

Seriously, though.  Looks like we got the Multi-IQ eTrac/CTX variant we have been clamoring after for 4 years, why am I not more excited about that? :rolleyes:

New detector launch fatigue and a bad case of manufacturer cynicism, I guess.  And also knowing that we are on the vlf performance plateau and the only real innovation left is in usability vice performance.

• Like 5

What do you guys think about this part of the arm rest (that I circled in green)?

Room for a weight to help balance the machine or hold an extra battery pack during a hunt, a la the N/M Legend?

EDIT: Looks like it's part of the arm cuff adjustment mechanism. Still might be able to serve double duty to hold an extra battery or counterweight, though.

MM2.jpg

• Like 1

An early bird hinted to me that it sounded like an F75 on steriods. Even with 2-D disc which is a huge improvement over the single digit conductive scale.

I’d still like it to murmer the ground and whisp on a deep short target in stead of an anoying BEEP. Noise cancelling headphones are a given these days,... gone are the days of having drums on the side of your head.

BEEPS are for autopilot detectors,... which can be fun.

WHISPS at the beach is were the fun begins,... especially with FE-CO discrimination ability.

Now lets have both available and maybe it could be a Beast,.. if not well at least we got to watch the cartoon.

Looks similar to the external battery receiver on the Legend.

I really like the sales pitch on the video, especially because it says all the things I was hoping to hear.. From what I can make out, the Beast's multi-frequency is build from the ground up with larger spectrums and higher frequencies than the Equinox.. It also has a great range of coils to start off with and it's lighter than the Equinox.. It's also waterproof down to 5 metres and its handle vibrates.. Even if its raw beast power doesn't punch any deeper than the Equinox, these factors already make it a winner in my book..     

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

Wish they could have made it more than just 1 oz lighter.  But that gives them license to say lighter than Nox, at least.  :laugh:

I agree , no significant weight improvement vs the Equinox . The Equinox weighs 1,3kg and the Manticore  .. the same ....  Then at first sight I am not interested by this detector unless its depth performances are significantly better than the Nox/Deus2 , but I dont believe to miracles ...

Nicely designed detector nevertheless .. and ML has probably improved its reactivity vs the Equinox then  it will probably be better than the Nox in the irons ... Looking fwd for the field tests ...

• Thanks 1

Same basic grip but that i have lived with.  Did he say power was close to the 30/30?  Heard 50% more then the EQ so EMI (supposed to be better) and discrimination will be needed.  Want to see how menu works, quick access to saved programs, like the telescopic shaft and the target graph maybe.  Steve is right on about 4 years of feedback and tweak time.  And the legend probably lit a fire under them to get it out well before Xmas.  just a few weeks ago we had a minelab wish list thread and i wanted a improved tougher nox, think i said Hardnox.  This looks like it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NAGANT said:

Heard 50% more then the EQ

No it's 50% more than single frequency detectors - because it HAS to be if you are combining 2 or more transmit waveforms together.  The ambiguous pseudo tech marketing hype continues and just causes confusion. SMH

Yep Hardnox it is, Manatee will go 2 more meters before leaking now.

• Like 2

It will sell well. If it combines the CTX screen and the Equinox resolution, it will be a winner. If it goes deeper than the CTX did, then it will reinvigorate park and field hunting again. There were many ways to tell target ID's just from the bouncing 2D screen of the CTX and E Trac. I actually recently bought a used E Trac just for it's deep silver capabilities No telling what it will do for beach hunting, but black sand was the Equinox's downfall on the beach, so I would be interested to see how it handles black sand and EMI mostly.

• Like 5