New Minelab Manticore

Sheppo

12 minutes ago, schoolofhardNox said:

If it goes deeper than the CTX did, then it will reinvigorate park and field hunting again.

Wondering what tech would make it go deeper than CTX?  I am expecting it to reliably ID deeper than the Nox, hopefully as deep as CTX but with better recovery and iron handling.  But deeper than CTX, doubtful because IB can only go so deep on coin sized targets.  But if anyone can do it ML can.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, schoolofhardNox said:

I would be interested to see how it handles black sand and EMI mostly

Not so much black sand for me as EMI. The D2 is an improvement on that but I still get killed under power lines.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chase Goldman said:

Wondering what tech would make it go deeper than CTX?  I am expecting it to reliably ID deeper than the Nox, hopefully as deep as CTX but with better recovery and iron handling.  But deeper than CTX, doubtful because IB can only go so deep on coin sized targets.

It's funny, people have been saying that IB technology is at it's limits for a while now. I guess if you believe that, then no one will be creative enough to think outside the box.

• Like 2

Did I hear on the video that the US price would be 1599 without tax??

33 minutes ago, schoolofhardNox said:

It's funny, people have been saying that IB technology is at it's limits for a while now. I guess if you believe that, then no one will be creative enough to think outside the box.

Well, the raw depth thing is just physics and power - power is limited not by the power source but by ground reflection, especially in mineralized soils.  At practical power limits a near field EM wave at 5 khz (higher frequencies attenuate more) can only travel so far in the ground before it is attenuated to the degree that it cannot induce a detectable magnetic field in the target no matter how many fancy signal processing gymnastics you apply in the receive "circuit".  Many detectors can acquire a target at maximum depth, but what separates the best from the mediocre is ID reliability at depth.   In other words does Gokd ID as gold or iron at max detection depth.

But just because vlf raw detection depth is at its limits, that doesn't mean there are not innovations in detector tech.

The latest advances in detector tech performance have been improving recovery speed (mitigating masking - which is tge thing hiding most reachable targets now, not the amount of dirt between the target and coil), iron handling (SMF enabled biasing to mitigate falsing), filtering (disc and notch), ground/salt handling (SMF) and utilizing signal processing horsepower to leverage the advantages of SMF to improve target ID accuracy at depth and to reduce EMI.  The other innovations improve usability - multiple available modes, improved detector indications (target trace) and user interface, wireless audio, and improved ergonomics.

Maltivort should improve target ID accuracy at depth (improving effective depth if not raw depth) over Nox and bring significant Multi-IQ advantages (speed/iron handling) vs. CTX.  Is it going to be a good detector? Most certainly. 

Is it breaking new ground?  Only in the sense that it is likely merging the best features and performance attributes of Nox and CTX while adding a few additional, welcome bells and whistles.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Looks like we got the Multi-IQ eTrac/CTX variant we have been clamoring after for 4 years,...

I hope you're right, but IMO it's too early to include that.  On the British video I thought I heard a response that the CTX is still better in some way; don't remember the specifics.  (Personally I hate companies protecting old products by underbuilding new ones....)

Right now we have some mostly wishy washy marketing mumbo jumbo with few details on the actual specifications.  And people are trusting that Minelab, the innovation leader for 2 or 3 decades, is going to continue that trend.  I will say the Ferrous+Conductive two-component readout is the one thing I've seen that has my attention.  But concluding it's as good as the CTX3030 in that aspect...???

I hope Detectival (only 2 weeks from now?) will produce more specifics and less flag waving.  The jury is out AFAIC, but I'm a Doubting Thomas by nature.

• Like 4

The more I hear, the more I'm liking The Beast.. It seems it punches deeper than the Equinox and CTX because more power is provided to the coil.. If its battery performance is the same as the Equinox (or even if it's worse it will still be a lot better than the Deus II), then it's a real contender.. This together with the fact that Minelab has build this thing from the ground up makes me hopeful that they're on to something that'll surpass what came before and live up to the marketing hype.. Which is something XP and Nokta failed to do, they just copied.. If The Beast does meet expectations in the field, I'll sell my Deus II to get my hands on one.. I just hope that Minelab will forgive my temporary desertion to the XP camp and welcome me back to the flock.. 😬     

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

Yes.

That is well below what I thought it would be.